New member, just had a physical

Options
Well, I just got my test results and found that I'm almost out of "normal" for my glucose and since diabetes scares me...I decided to do something now. Found this as an app for my phone and am in my first week. I'm a teacher and it always seems to fall apart in late October so I figured that Spring was a perfect time to start up again.

My problem time is the after-school 45min commute home - my energy is completely wiped out and I'm hungry, plus I've got to start cooking dinner for my family as soon as I get there. Any suggestions for snacks on that drive? The "cliff bar" style of snack just doesn't satisfy or seem like real food. I like things that crunch and I need some protein (I think).

Replies

• Krystal0806
    Options
    I like the special k protein bars, chocolate chip and peanut butter
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I like the Special K protein bars too! Double Chocolate is my favorite!
  • cyutface
    cyutface Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not a protein bar fan either but I have the same needs as a student as you do. I found Nature Valley has delicious crunchy granola bars. I don't usually like granola either but these are actually good. They really do fill me up. The only thing is that they can be messy so make sure to put something in your lap while you're driving ;-)

Two that I've tried are Oats n Honey and Oats n Dark Chocolate.
    Serving Size 2 Bars (although I usually just eat one), Calories are about 190 per serving so let it be a solid snack between meals.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great if you are careful with them. (I'll eat a whole 2 lb container if somebody puts it in front of me..) They're great for an energy boost.

I hear ya on the Clif bars not seeming like food but have you tried the newer versions of them? The Clif mojo bar tastes and looks like they stuck some trail mix together with some honey, much more food-like than the cementy old version. The Clif builder bar is more like a candy bar (try the chocolate one!) but they're higher calorie.

Other than that maybe baby carrots? Safeway "eating right" brand are super sweet.
  • sasysuzy
    sasysuzy Posts: 42
    Options
    You can always try eat fruit or vegs on the drive home. Another one of my favorite snack items is the Fiber One bars. They are low calorie, high fiber, and they also satisfy that chocolate craving. Another good snack that I like, is take a high fiber tortilla shell, put a little bit of peanut butter spread on the shell and cut up an apple, roll it up and enjoy.

Like you, I had a physical and basically my doctor told me to lose weight or I was a heart attack waiting to happen. Since November 1st I have lost almost 50 pounds. If I can do this, anyone can........

If you want to be friends, I will encourage you as you go.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    mozzerella balls and cherry tomatoes, mixed with olive oil and red wine vinegar, maybe basil & a whole grain pita

Cheesesticks & fruit

Banana and peanut butter

Almonds and banana

Small bag of popcorn

Yogurt and apples (1 small sliced apple) (1/4 c. lowfat plain yogurt mixed with 1t peanut butter, 1 t honey, 1/4 t cinnamon)

Mix and match lots of things...
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm not a protein bar fan either but I have the same needs as a student as you do. I found Nature Valley has delicious crunchy granola bars. I don't usually like granola either but these are actually good. They really do fill me up. The only thing is that they can be messy so make sure to put something in your lap while you're driving ;-)

Two that I've tried are Oats n Honey and Oats n Dark Chocolate.
    Serving Size 2 Bars (although I usually just eat one), Calories are about 190 per serving so let it be a solid snack between meals.

I love the Nature Valley bars, but also hate the mess. Solution: break it into bite sized pieces in the morning and put it in a tupperware container before you leave the house. Then, you can just eat it like popcorn in the car.
  • muggle311
    muggle311 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have to say this is an odd combination but it has always worked for me.
    1/2 oz walnuts and 5 pitted prunes.
    It get the sweet from the prunes and the fats and proteins from the walnuts
    I weigh them out you can probably go with an ounce of nuts.
    I have no idea why this works but the hunger is just gone it would be easy to eat also driving.
    Hope this helps.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I like granola bars like Fiber One, which has a 90 calorie bar and Fiber Plus, whose bars are more like 130, but a little more decadent.

I also put some Kashi Go Lean cereal in a bag and snack on it. Not only high in fiber, but also in protein.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ksv123
    ksv123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of those granola type bars, etc. but I have found that the peanut butter cookie Luna Bars are good as well as the Snickers Marathon Nutty Crunch Burst (or something like that!). Truly seems like a candy bar ;) Good luck!
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For 140 calories you can have a hard boiled egg and an orange. A little protein, a little fat, a little sugar and a lot of fiber. :smile:
    A lot of bang for your buck. I keep a bowl of boiled eggs in the refrigerator for snacks.
    Hope this suggestion helps.
    Good luck.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    almonds and raisins - measure them out and put them in snack bags. I use 2tbspns of almonds and 1 tbspn of raisins:smile:
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I drive a school bus, I'm up at 4am, and have breakfast around 4:30...1/2 way thru my morning run, I am starving, and I need something I can snack on while driving.

I usually bring a piece of fruit--banana or cut up apple or pear and a snack bar--either a fiber one bar or a special K protein bar or special K cereal bar--and a big bottle of water.

It helps hold me over till I am done and can get some real food. The same goes in the afternoon, except I usually bring a piece of fruit and either some quaker rice cakes or even some kellogs mini-wheats in a sandwhich bag.
  • Mitch1050
    Options
    Not sure how this Reply works...to one or to everyone. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to start with the non-bar style suggestions as part of my goal is to move back to simpler foods. Just spent last night and this morning making various types of chopped salads - luckily my husband likes hanging out in the kitchen and sampling, otherwise cooking on a Saturday night could be a mood-killer! :)