Work as exercise?

Options
I've been considering this and just haven't yet - wearing a heart rate monitor to work to see if it burns any calories. I work as a CNA, and it can be a pretty intense job sometime. Definitely have to be quick and have some sort of strength to do it (I spend my days at work lifting old people ;) ). I know it's gotta be good as far as movement goes, but as an actual calorie-burner? Not sure. Has anyone who has a physical job tried this out?

Replies

• girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I work in a office 4 days a week and in deli 2 days a week when im at the deli I work 8 hours so I log it as 60 min of walking:smile:
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    This means you probably should have set your activity level at very active, or something like that. It automatically builds in more calories for you.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i am on my feet all day at work and have to lift stuff form time to time. I set my activity rate to slightly active and let mfp add that into my calorie equation everyday. I am sure i burn more that what it gives me credit for but i just see that as a bonus. it is just easier this way and i dont have to try to keep up with it all and log every night.
  • emmabee87
    emmabee87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about it too! I work in a fast paced restaurant as a server when I'm not in classes, I very often break a sweat so I MUST be burning tons!
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Most of time, I don't think most people count work as an exercise because that is factored into your activity level that you have to fill out when you first sign on to this site. You tell it whether you have a desk job, a job that requires some activity, or a job that requires large amounts of activity. It is from that info that it calculates your calorie goal. Hope that helps!
    PS...I'm a phlebotomist a very busy hospital, and I know how hard you guys work!
  • kymberlin
    kymberlin Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im a LNA in Vermont. When I set up my account I chose fairly active because I'm on my feet all day. I bend and squat and lift and all sorts of other crazy positions that we have to get into to help people. I don't log it as additional exercise because it's incorporated into my daily life. Just know that on some days you do burn more than others at work and some days(off) you don't work as hard. My answer is don't count it as exercise.
  • autumn_lea85
    Options
    I'm a CNA has well and I was wondering the same thing. I literally drip with sweat some nights! I personally don't count it as excercise becuase I figure if it was, I wouldn't be overweight! Before I started MFP, i wasn't excercising I just started eating better and I lost 3 pounds really quickly then I hit a plateau. I'm too fat to be hitting a plateau already so i knew I needed to add excercise and thats when I found MFP. I guess my long answer to your question is it really depends on your body and your personal goals. For me, the excercise I was getting at work obviously wasn't enough.