Green Tea induced Nausea?

Twice this week when drinking green tea on an empty stomach (4.5 hrs after breakfast and about a half hour before lunch) I ended up feeling really bad nausea. Yesterday I had to give my students some homework to start on just so I could go back to my desk and put my head down. I had to eat my lunch really slowly but once it started digesting the nausea went away. I never have a problem with green tea if I drink it while eating.

Anyone else experience something like this and know what causes it?

Replies

• Do you have a low tolerance for caffiene?

I know I have a vitamin that contains caffiene and if I take it on an empty stomach I get that way.
  • That happens to me if i take my vitamins on an empty stomach. Could just be that something in it is too strong for your body when there is nothing in your stomach to dilute it...?
  • missduffbug
    missduffbug Posts: 217
    I take green tea tablets and I have to say that when I started I also had really bad nausea - it was horrid- i felt sick and dizzy and just really off.
    I think my body must now be used to them as they dont affect me but I NEVER take them on an empty stomach because it makes me sicky again.
    One thing I will say though is it sometimes gives me heart palpitations - probably because of the caffeine I imagine - just be careful and if you continue to drink it and feel funny - maybe find an alternative :-)
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    green tea contains caffeine and polyphenols, both of which have been known to cause nausea.

when you want a cup of tea on an empty stomach, try drinking white tea instead. it has absolutely no caffeine yet all the health properties of green tea.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    I highly doubt its the caffeine, coffee, black tea and my migraine tablets which have a high dose of caffeine don't bother me. Perhaps it is something with the polyphenols then.
  • shelleyphant
    shelleyphant Posts: 21 Member
    I suffered exactly the same as this when I first started drinking it. A Thai friend made me a cup of green tea she had brought home - I spent the rest of the day quietly lying down. Afterwards I tried a generic big brand tea (Tetleys) and found I was fine.

I've found out for me it's a strength issue Tetley is fine, proper green tea makes me gip. If I leave the Tetleys to brew too much that also makes he hurl :S
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    It could just be the type... some green teas are not just TEA. it could contain other ingredients or you might just have a bad batch...

Some "Dieters green tea" contains other chemicals and herbs that will cause the feeling... stick to a brand you know and love.

Or it could be other things like moldy tea leaves in the batch.

I drink gallons of green tea a week. I ushualy have the pre made one from World Market, liptin, tea traders, or TAZO All good brands.

If you want to spice it up try putting some ginger in it... the fresh stuff slice it thin, peal it, and just let it steep with your tea.
  • Yes, I have exactly the same problem, its impossible to drink on its own! I always thought it was the tannins, drinking red wine on an empty stomach has the same effect. But with foid and not brewed very long it is ok
  • I GET THAT! I also get it from black tea...it's terrible. Talk about appetite suppression...I always feel like i'm going to puke.
  • I GET THAT! I also get it from black tea...it's terrible. Talk about appetite suppression...I always feel like i'm going to puke.
  • Ew double post...that also makes me want to puke :(
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Good recommendation on switching up brands. At home I drink a loose leaf jasmine green tea that never bothers me or the Tazo green. The one causing all the problems is a Fresh & Easy bulk green tea that I keep at work. I bought it because all kinds of savings articles say generic and bulk is the same but it clearly seems not to be the case here.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    So weird! This happens to me with regular tea! Especially Lipton! Anything over 4-6 oz. and I need to go throw up.

Oddly enough, it does NOT happen when I drink green tea. I use Salada 100% Green Tea bags.

I love coffee and have been known to drink a ludicrous number of espresso shots over one meal, so it's definitely NOT caffeine sensitivity for me.

Jasmine tea and other black teas kill me. Even herbals. Seems like some of us are just tea sensitive. So weird!

Try 100% green tea! :drinker:
  • dmnoland
    dmnoland Posts: 1 Member
    Me...I get sick almost everytime now...I googled it and there are tons of articles about it
  • morgo20
    morgo20 Posts: 68 Member
    I can not drink green tea period anymore. I thought I was the only one until I googled it. WOW. Can;t drink it on an empty or full stomache i instantly want to puke and it lasts around 3o mins
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    I love green tea and drink one cup every morning. ONE cup. If I have 2 cups, I want to barf. I can drink other tea and coffee until the cows come home, so I don't think it is the caffeine, but yup.