Is it wrong...

Options
Is it wrong that I that I crave for a cheat day!!!?? I started MFP on March 1st and have been really good about not going over on my calories, but it seems like as soon as Saturday hits I just want to forget about my diet for the day. I still work out but I want to stop caring about the number of calories at the end of the day! I have yet to have a cheat day because I'm afraid if I do I will feel guilty or even gain more weight. Not sure what to do!!

Replies

• lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to have a day off now and again. If you do it well (don't go too crazy) it can keep you from feeling deprived without making much difference in your weight loss. And even an occasional blow-out day can help remind you how bad you feel when you eat junk, and too much of it. The key is that those days should be exceptions, not regular parts of your week. :)
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My experience has taught me that cheat 'days' can undo all your hard work for the week so how about a planned cheat meal????? Seems to be a little more controlled and it's a good way to make sure you don't go too far over.

Plan for your cheat meal - eat what you want (in moderation) log it beforehand and even if you're over on cals at least you'll have a clear picture of how far over you are so you can rectify in over the next few days - just an idea :smile:
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I say NO NO NO to cheat days! If youi quit smoking, and you have that one cigarette, you know what happens. The same goes for food and "cheat days". Why ruin all your hard work???
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it is a little too early for you to start having a weekly cheat day. Instead I would make room in your daily for a little treat.
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I suggest planning treats into your daily calories. What do you crave? Sweets? Try to squeeze in a lunchtime walk or an extra 10 minutes of exercise and then you can have that ice cream or whatever (as long as you maintain the proper portions). Denying yourself makes craving worse. I personally am an evening snacker so I always make sure I have 200 calories left in case in want a snack. I am down 13lbs since Feb. and I do not feel like I am on a diet. Good luck! It takes time to figure out what works for you. Everyone is different, but the key is to find a balance.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Looking at your diary and your profile - you're doing so well!!

You say that you've tried and failed to lose weight in the past, I can relate to that. I agree with the others saying that a cheat day could set you back. The analogy with quitting smoking particularly brings it home to me.

You're changing your life - it's what you say you want - so go get it, like I already said, you are doing SO well already.

That said, ONE bar of chocolate does not a whole cheat day make. Or a bag of chips. Or a brownie. Whatever makes you happy. That's a 'reward' for all your hard work, not a cheat day :)

Do log it though. And maybe write down how it makes you feel, perhaps in your blog? Hey, if you go for a walk (or whatever's in your capeabilities) you could even mitigate those reward calories :wink:
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Remember, it's not a DIET. It's a lifestyle change. As long as your keep thinking of it a "diet" and "cheating" you will never accomplish the long term goal of having a healthy lifestyle and long term weight loss.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think a whole cheat day is a bad idea but every Saturday my husband brings Chipotle home for lunch after work. I don't want to skimp on my Chipotle day, I eat a burrito bowl (although I don't finish it) chips and guacamole (again, never finish the guac). I look forward to it and enjoy it every week. I always try to get a workout in and I try to eat less the rest of the day but I'm NOT giving up my Chipotle treat. So, rather than a whole cheat day I fit an indulgence into my week that won't sabotage all my hard work and I never feel guilty about it.
  • DawnHeffernan
    Options
    I agree with what people have said..incorporate a treat into your day occasionally and count the calories but in my experience eating sugar etc going crazy for the day just sets up the cravings all over again. Staying off the crap seems to get easier cos you do stop craving it, but when you give in its like you have to start all over again as the brain is going "yes, sugar, fat, salt..give it to me that is what I want..GIVE IT TO ME NOW" and like dealing with a willful child you have to get heavy and say NO. Which lets face it, takes mre energy and effort..is it worth it?
  • tluttrell
    tluttrell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Most of the info that I've read says that "cheat days" turn into cheat weeks, then cheat months, then cheat years. It depends on your relationship with food. If it's like mine...cheat days are just an excuse to give in to food as an escape. Don't do it.

I like the idea of a planned cheat (mentioned earlier). You can squash that feeling of being deprived, while still having control. I'd been craving a cupcake from a bakery nearby, so I planned it into my calories for the day. I had to cut out all other snacks for the day, have salad for lunch and sushi for dinner, but it was totally worth it.

Don't deprive yourself completely...you'll never stay committed long term. Find better ways to satisfy your cravings. You can make "cheat foods" with healthier recipes. Keep up the good work!!!!!
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I agree with having a "cheat meal", not a whole cheat day. It satisfies some cravings without going overboard all day long.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I agree with having a "cheat meal", not a whole cheat day. It satisfies some cravings without going overboard all day long.

This, exactly! But if you can find something healthier that satisfies your cravings for a certain food, that's even better. if you do have a cheat meal, be sure to portion it still.
  • kevinthenerd
    kevinthenerd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think a whole cheat day is a bad idea but every Saturday my husband brings Chipotle home for lunch after work. I don't want to skimp on my Chipotle day, I eat a burrito bowl (although I don't finish it) chips and guacamole (again, never finish the guac). I look forward to it and enjoy it every week. I always try to get a workout in and I try to eat less the rest of the day but I'm NOT giving up my Chipotle treat. So, rather than a whole cheat day I fit an indulgence into my week that won't sabotage all my hard work and I never feel guilty about it.

I shouldn't read these forums on an empty stomach. My wife and I LOVE Chipotle. The nearest one to us is an hour away with a few dollars in tolls, and we've gone out just for a burrito many times. It's 1050 calories for a burrito the way I like it, but damn, it's worth the exercise.

I agree with what's been said: just track it. I've found that failing to track food is much worse for your long-term progress than a "bad" choice of food every now and then. It's easy to get out of the tracking habit and hard to get back into it. It's good to see the red negative "calories remaining" number to keep yourself accountable too.

We're doing a weight loss competition at work, so during these eight weeks, I've been denying myself even these little things. The only food I'm craving more than a burrito right now is barbecue pulled pork.... with that sleepy big-meal feeling afterwards. (I know, I know... I'll be very careful to not overindulge after the competition.)
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Stick to the plan.
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I totally plan to have cheat days!! I call it 'zig zag' dieting and pat myself on the back when I 'only' hit about 2000 calories as that is the basal metabolic rate for someone my age and gender. What this means in practice is that I can 'afford' an apple cider, or a piece of cake from time to time.
    I still enter it in MFP, and sometimes I get the report that graphs the nett calorie intake - helps you keep it all in perspective. If you are trending less than your metabolic needs, then you are going to lose weight.
  • smcclaycouffer
    smcclaycouffer Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, "Thank you" to everyone and your wonderful advice. I think doing a cheat meal is actually what I need. Again, thank you for all that has helped!
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I still wouldn't call it a "cheat". Nobody ever said that you can never have cake, or chocolate, or ice cream ever again. You are not learning anything by "cheating". Me, I love ice cream, and eat some almost everyday. It's all about the choices that you make. Plan for a "little" indulgence every day, if thats what you need to make it through the day. It will give you something to look forward to. Planning to have it later in the day helps to keep you on track through out the earlier part of the day. A reward for making good healthy choices the rest of the day. I really like the analogy to the cigarettes. If you really want this, you can do it. But you can't do it if all you think about is cheating. I am pretty much a gym rat right now. I got that way because my reward for going to the gym is that I get to eat more. Bottom line-you need to find out how to keep yourself motivated and on track, and reward yourself accordingly.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Remember, it's not a DIET. It's a lifestyle change. As long as your keep thinking of it a "diet" and "cheating" you will never accomplish the long term goal of having a healthy lifestyle and long term weight loss.

AMEN!!
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

AMEN!!

I'll second that Amen.
  • ishtar163
    ishtar163 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lifestyle change comment. If all you can think about is "cheating", you should find a way to think of it differently. I believe wholeheartedly in planning ahead for a special treat and including it. I like to take one day a month where I treat myself to something special. I try to plan it around holidays or special occasions, and I still count it. I don't think that a day of bingeing would help anyone, especially not if it's weekly. If your lifestyle is healthy while allowing yourself treats sometimes, it's a lot easier to swallow than thinking of it as being a cheater on a diet.