Are there any HRMs that don't require a chest strap or a sat

Options
Bought a Garmin Forerunner a few weeks ago and have become very very frustrated trying to use it. The whole time I'm at my gym this thing sits there saying "locating satellites" and will NOT record anything I do! Note that inside the gym it is practically impossible to get a cellphone signal, so I am sure this is why it cannot locate its satellites. But I didn't think it NEEDED satellite signals in order to just calculate my heart rate. Also, the chest strap is unbelievably uncomfortable. It rubbed blisters on me. So after spending all this money on a virtually useless HRM, I am trying to find out if there are any out there that do not require a satellite signal to work and don't require a chest strap. I just want something I can put on my wrist. Is there such a thing? I really do need to know how many calories I'm burning, as I don't have a lot of weight left to lose and I am sure I will hit a plateau if I am not accurate on my calories burned. I could be eating way too much or way too little.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Should have gone with Polar. Anything strapless is not accurate, IMO
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    I assume your Garmin came with a GPS, and that's why it needed a Satellite. I also assume that the HRMs that don't use GS don't need a satellite. Anyone?
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have an ePulse monitor which fits high on your forearm and is pretty good, but the battery lasts 4 hours tops.

Otherwise, I'm very pleased with it. No straps and very comfortable to wear. No satellite signals required.

ETA - link to more info: http://www.amazon.com/ePulse2-Strapless-Monitor-Calorie-Counter/dp/B004DKSLXQ
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't think technology is that far advanced yet to have great working HRM's without straps. I looked at all of the reviews on amazon about them and they're not great. They move & don't stay where they need to stay when you workout i guess.
    I just bought a Polar FT7 a week ago with chest strap and there's no satellite signal so it works great and it's very comfortable. I hardly notice it at all.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    have 1/2 the number of women then men so i need some more women to kick some mens butts

CHANGED IT INTO A WOMEN VS MEN % LOSS CHALLENGE AND NEED MORE WOMEN TO SHOW THE MEN UP

COME JOIN AND INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS. WE ARE GOING OFF %LOSS SO EVERYONE HAS A CHANCE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/205113-men-lose-10-in-april-2011-challenge
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    If you are at your gym why do you need the gps turned on? If you dont need it, turn off the gps locator. Also make sure you have synched up your hrm correctly.
  • jcastro84
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7. It has a chest strap but is very comfortable and doesnt bother me at all. I have been using it since December with no problems. Also tracks all your workouts and gives you fitness and fat burn after each workout.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 - it has a chest strap. It works great for me and my treadmill and recumbent bike also picks it up so I imagine most gym equipment will also.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    If you are at your gym why do you need the gps turned on? If you dont need it, turn off the gps locator. Also make sure you have synched up your hrm correctly.

I don't want the GPS on. I don't even need a GPS, period. It was just a feature that is available on this model. I can do nothing with it inside the gym. The screen is blank except for the "locating satellites" alert.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Since you bought it a few weeks ago, and probably can't return it, can you sell it on e-bay or craigs list ?? Then maybe you check into a HRM that has what features you want in it and that will work in the gym without any problems.......

I have an old Polar HRM and have only heard good things about Polar HRM's. I am looking into maybe getting a newer one that calculates calories and has a few more bells and whistles than the old FS3 that I have......and it will most likely be a polar and with a chest strap.