Birth Control and Bloating =o(

Options
So I fluctuate greatly and can't seem to find a birth control that doesnt cause me to gain weight. I am getting discouraged. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am so tired of feeling icky and bloated and fat cuz of this stupid hormone crap!

Lizzy

Replies

• michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So I fluctuate greatly and can't seem to find a birth control that doesnt cause me to gain weight. I am getting discouraged. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am so tired of feeling icky and bloated and fat cuz of this stupid hormone crap!

Lizzy

Use condoms! LMAO just kidding. I know people get on birth control for lots of reasons! :) I tried it to regulate my periods but gained way too much weight on it! I tried like 5 different kinds then decided to just get off it :/
  • CelestiHel
    CelestiHel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried asking for something like Lo Loestrin, or another "lowest estrogen" hormone treatment? I know they work just as well at preventing pregnancy, but if you take BC for a medical treatment, it might not be enough. It can't hurt to ask. Also, if you are on an estrogen pill, ask the doc if you can try one that is progestin, or another hormone combination. Maybe that will be a better one for you.

I've had to take BC medically since I was just in puberty, so I know from searching for a treatment that doesn't make me gain weight or crazy. The only real solution I ever found was to keep good records of what I'd tried and just keep trying new ones until I got one that made me as happy as possible. It took years, but eventually I found some. Good luck!
  • LettsBvegan
    LettsBvegan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Loestrin 24 FE for about a month and it's by far the best birthcontrol I've ever been on. I was on Yaz before 24FE and that was a total nightmare. Weight wise I haven't seen anything negative yet. I've actually lost a whole lot more than when I was birthcontrol-less. I'm not saying it's the birthcontrol I've just been sticking almost perfectly to my suggested calorie intake. But it obviously isn't causing me to gain weight. Anyways, that's my two cents. :)
  • Lizzybugz
    Lizzybugz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Right now I am using Kariva which is a generic for Mircette. I thought I loved it at first but by the 3rd month I have begun to hate it. I am still less bloated than I was before tho on Yaz. I have tried Ortho Tricyclen Lo and Ortho Cyclen and Yaz and Yazmin and Nuvaring. Some made me sick, some made me moody, but all have made me chunkier than normally I would be. My metabolism even seems to be affected and my cravings are off the map!

Can hormones really do this much crap?? =o(

Lizzy
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    My hormones get completely OFF on birth control pills! My body held on to water weight, despite eating healthy and regularly exercising, I was moody as well. After I had my son, I was prescribed a "mini-pill" because of breastfeeding (the estrogen would interfere with nursing) - I'm on Camila right now still, even 6 mos. after stopping nursing. I LOVE IT! No side effects. It isn't as effective as a regular birth control pill with estrogen (97 to 98%) but I'm thrilled with it so far.
  • fuego84
    fuego84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you're not planning to have kids in the near future you could try an IUD. Several of my friends have had great luck with them. I personally was on various pills for 10+ years and it messed with my hormones so much I will NEVER go back on them.