What to do about my chocolate addiction?

Options
Hi all

I am a HUGE chocolate lover...
It took a couple days but I got over my huge craving for my chocolate sweets (which i ate through out the day..chocolate kisses, candy bars etc)
I no longer shop in the candy isle, but have found myself gravitating towards slim fast optima bars, choclate Dr atkins shakes etc etc....
If i'm sticking within my calorie range and loosing, is this OK?
I've lost 5 pounds in a little ovber 2 weeks
OR do i need to rid myself of all the 'chocolate' stuff asap?

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts and was dealing with the same issues?
Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I am a HUGE chocolate lover...
    It took a couple days but I got over my huge craving for my chocolate sweets (which i ate through out the day..chocolate kisses, candy bars etc)
    I no longer shop in the candy isle, but have found myself gravitating towards slim fast optima bars, choclate Dr atkins shakes etc etc....
    If i'm sticking within my calorie range and loosing, is this OK?
    I've lost 5 pounds in a little ovber 2 weeks
    OR do i need to rid myself of all the 'chocolate' stuff asap?

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts and was dealing with the same issues?
    Kim
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I love chocolate too and decided that diet or no diet I could not give it up completely. I now save 170 calories (every other day or so) so that I can eat 16 Junior Mints. It really makes me feel better and still helps me to stay within my calorie goals. I sometimes think that I am fooling my brain into not feeling deprived by allowing myself that small amount of candy. And yes, I too have lost weight while still eating chocolate so naturally I'm all for it. :happy:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you're staying within your calories, I think it's fine and as long as you're eating your 3 meals a day go ahead and a bit of chocolate.

I get my chocolate attack on that "time of the month".
    I eat a chocolate pudding cup which is 60 cals.
    Or you can even find the Weight Watchers chocolates.
    They also have a yummy fudge cake... that will definitely crave your chocolate craving.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Low calorie/fat hot chocolate sometimes work for me.

A friend was also telling me about this herbal tea that smells just like chocolate and is made from black tea leaves so it leaves a nice thick velvet texture when you sip it.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Low calorie/fat hot chocolate sometimes work for me.

A friend was also telling me about this herbal tea that smells just like chocolate and is made from black tea leaves so it leaves a nice thick velvet texture when you sip it.

Mmmmmmm.....Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa Packets (25 calories!)

• Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    You can also now get chocolate bars 100 cal ea. That is what I do and treat myself once in awhile.:happy:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Ooohhh... I did see a Chocolate Chai Tea... wanted it but I'm not tea fan.
    Harney and Son make chocolate tea.
    http://www.harney.com/chocolatetea.html
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try the Oats and Chocolate Fiber One Bars (in the granola bars aisle) They have lots of mini semi sweet chocolate chip and only 140 calories. Theyre chewy and delicious and always curbs my chocolate craving. The Peanut Butter and Oats ones are good too!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that if I hear "you cannot have this"...then that's all I want...Seriously. I will freak out on something I'm "not supposed to have" just for the sake of having it.
    So that being the case, I have to allow for things I love. I would gladly have a smaller serving of something if it meant I can have dessert or some other treat that I want.

Try to do some swiching off- and 'trading' off with things that you really like- I bet in the end you'll still be satisfied with your loss, as long as it doesnt get out of hand.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    DOVE makes bags of small individual pieces. They say a serving size is 5 pieces for 200 cals, but I find that just one after lunch is good enough for me and doesn't ruin my daily goal. If having a bit of chocolate everyday will keep you from binging once a week I say go for it.

I also like chocolate nutrition bars (Clif, Luna, etc) if I am exercising away from home at lunch time. They keep me surprisingly full for only 180 cals and provide protein.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm with Joanna... those sugar free pudding cups are really good and they're only 60 cals. You can get the cool whip free and that adds volume and "flair" to your pudding cup. I have one almost every single day. They make a chocolate/mint one that is so good, double chocolate, chocolate/banana, caramel, and a few others. Just be sure you're buying the sugar free, 60 calorie ones.
  • reluctantdaughter
    Options
    What i have done in the past is allow myself to have one chocolate serving a day. Stick to it. So, I only have one chocolate bar and then nothing else chocolate for the rest of the day. This would include hot chocolate as well. I know it might seem hard, but there actual good points to chocolate, like antioxidants. I would also ask yourself if you really want the chocolate or why you are eating to begin with. I know there are a lot of times when I am craving something and it is only because I am bored. When I get to this point, I am always sticking hard candy in my mouth, or try Tootsie Rolls. Low fat and calorie. :smile:
    Good luck!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is supossed to be good for you (to an extent of course)...
    I get those mini squares (they come pre-wrapped) and have one of those (they are dark chocolate) and they have something like 40 calories and 3 grams of fat. Not toooo shabby when you just NEED it! lol
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm with Joanna... those sugar free pudding cups are really good and they're only 60 cals. You can get the cool whip free and that adds volume and "flair" to your pudding cup. I have one almost every single day. They make a chocolate/mint one that is so good, double chocolate, chocolate/banana, caramel, and a few others. Just be sure you're buying the sugar free, 60 calorie ones.

Me too! Sugar Free pudding all the way! Have you ever crumbled a graham cracker square on top? Tastes just like a piece of chocolate cream pie! :smile:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Dove miniatures (the dark chocolate) have saved me through this transition to healthier eating and losing weight. I lost 17 lbs in just over 2 months, and had between 1 and 3 Dove miniatures every day (at 37 cals each, it was much less than the full-sized candy bars I used to eat!).
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate almost everyday. What I found worked best for me was to switch from the milk chocolate candy which frequently has other bad for you stuff in it, too, like high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils to dark chocolate which is supposed to have antioxidants and be good for you in limited quantities. This I think has made a huge difference! If I eat milk chocolate I want more and more... but the dark chocolate is not as sweet and just a little bit is enough to satisfy a chocolate craving.

My favorite is a Dagoba bar that is all organic- I love the Lavender one. It has 10 sections, so I slice it and will only eat one section, which I think is 31 calories or so. Another thing I have just found is individually wrapped 100 calorie dark chocolate bars at Trader Joe's. These were pretty good, but I prefer the Dagoba bar. You can find these in a health food type store or near the health food aisles in the regular grocery store.

I liked the Fiber One bars, too, but when I read the ingredient list they have partially hydrogenated oil and I try not to eat that at all. :cry:

I have thought a lot about why so many people fail on diets and I think a large part must be people going to extremes-if I had to give up all chocolate forever to be thin I think I would fail. But if I just modify it a little at a time I know I will succeed! So I don't see any reason to not have your chocolate and lose weight too! :wink:
  • Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate too, and I crave it at work when I'm stressed out. I've bought some of the 100 calorie packs to get my "chocolate fix". I also keep a bag of Russell Stover sugar free candies in my desk drawer. You can buy a variety pack, and most of the candies are around 70 calories. It helps me get through those cravings and need for chocolate.
    Good luck!