exercising outdoors in hot climates

Options
I've not been active outdoors since I was a child. Tend to go from air conditioned office to air conditioned car to home and drive to the mountains to escape the heat on weekends. But since November I've been going with my husband to his school in Phoenix and walking while he's in class. I've really been enjoying it and worked up from 1 to just over 5 miles. The class is at noon, and today it was 92 degrees when I was done, I am ok, drank water and got a sports drink after. But don't know if I can continue as it gets hotter. Would like any hints and suggestions. I am going to research heat exhaustion warning signs also. Would also like opinions on the benefita of walking In the heat, my husband claims it is good for me to sweat out toxins. And encourages me to get acclimated to the heat (he works in it) but I've never been open to it until now. (think it will get easier as I continue to lose body fat)

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Phoenix area and walking has been my main form of exercise for the past few years. Definitely be aware of heat exhaustion symptoms. Stay hydrated - take water with you and sip now and then. You'll sweat it out and may not even know it because when it's really dry out there the sweat will evaporate quickly. Wear a hat and sunglasses, and sun screen if you're going to be out more than 15 minutes in the sun here.

If I'm going more than 5 miles I'll usually take a camelback full of ice water. It'll cool your back, add some weight (that makes you burn more calories while you walk) and should give you enough water for a long walk.

Watch out for the sugars and sodium in sports drinks. Some of them are ridiculous. I just drink water.

Have fun =)
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Here are some ways to prevent heat exhaustion and heat stroke:
    - gradually work up your exercise time and intensity in the heat. When it gets hotter, lower intensity and length of exercise (it takes about 9-14 days to get acclimated to heat, but if temperatures increase, you will have to acclimate to those)
    - wear cotton and other materials to keep your body ventilated. Keep in mind, that not only does your body increase in temperature when exercising, but also the micro-climate around it. Also, wear light colored clothing, as black will absorb heat.
    - drink lots of fluids. Here are recommendation by the American Council of Exercise:
    2hrs prior to exercise: 17-20 oz
    during exercise: every 10-20 minutes drink 7-10oz
    after exercise: 16-24oz for every lb lost during exercise (yes, you should weigh yourself before and after)

Symptoms:
    Heat exhaustion
    Weak, rapid pulse
    Low BP
    Headache
    Nausea
    Dizziness
    Weakness
    Paleness
    Cold, clammy skin
    Profuse seating
    Elevated body temp up to 104 F (40 C)

Treatment: stop exercising, move to a cool, well ventilated area, lay down and elevate feet, drink fluids, monitor body temp.

Heat stroke
    Hot, dry skin
    Bright red skin color
    Rapid, strong pulse
    Labored breathing
    Elevated body temp of over 105 F (41 C)

Treatment: stop exercising, remove as much clothing as possible, try to cool body immediately in any possible way, drink fluids, go to ER.
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Hi Cristy,
    You can definitely get yourself acclimated to heat -- but you have to work up to it. You can search the internet for information about how to safely acclimatize. Here is a link to get you started. Good luck and be safe!

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Heat_Acclimation_Training
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hi Cristy I'm in Phoenix too and I know what you are talking about with the heat! During the hotter days, unless I'm in my pool, I go to the near by LA Fitness and opt for the cooler air conditioned building. I don't do well in the heat while working out. Just listen to your body and drink plenty of ice water when you are out in the heat.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Hi Cristy,
    You can definitely get yourself acclimated to heat -- but you have to work up to it. You can search the internet for information about how to safely acclimatize. Here is a link to get you started. Good luck and be safe!

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Heat_Acclimation_Training
    Thanks!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I'm in the Phoenix area and walking has been my main form of exercise for the past few years. Definitely be aware of heat exhaustion symptoms. Stay hydrated - take water with you and sip now and then. You'll sweat it out and may not even know it because when it's really dry out there the sweat will evaporate quickly. Wear a hat and sunglasses, and sun screen if you're going to be out more than 15 minutes in the sun here.

If I'm going more than 5 miles I'll usually take a camelback full of ice water. It'll cool your back, add some weight (that makes you burn more calories while you walk) and should give you enough water for a long walk.

Watch out for the sugars and sodium in sports drinks. Some of them are ridiculous. I just drink water.

Have fun =)

Thanks, doing all those things. Also think when it gets over 100, 110 I will need to limit being outdoors to morning and evening hours and find something else to do at noon on Saturdays. I only get outdoors on weekends.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Here are some ways to prevent heat exhaustion and heat stroke:
    - gradually work up your exercise time and intensity in the heat. When it gets hotter, lower intensity and length of exercise (it takes about 9-14 days to get acclimated to heat, but if temperatures increase, you will have to acclimate to those)
    - wear cotton and other materials to keep your body ventilated. Keep in mind, that not only does your body increase in temperature when exercising, but also the micro-climate around it. Also, wear light colored clothing, as black will absorb heat.
    - drink lots of fluids. Here are recommendation by the American Council of Exercise:
    2hrs prior to exercise: 17-20 oz
    during exercise: every 10-20 minutes drink 7-10oz
    after exercise: 16-24oz for every lb lost during exercise (yes, you should weigh yourself before and after)

Symptoms:
    Heat exhaustion
    Weak, rapid pulse
    Low BP
    Headache
    Nausea
    Dizziness
    Weakness
    Paleness
    Cold, clammy skin
    Profuse seating
    Elevated body temp up to 104 F (40 C)

Treatment: stop exercising, move to a cool, well ventilated area, lay down and elevate feet, drink fluids, monitor body temp.

Heat stroke
    Hot, dry skin
    Bright red skin color
    Rapid, strong pulse
    Labored breathing
    Elevated body temp of over 105 F (41 C)

Treatment: stop exercising, remove as much clothing as possible, try to cool body immediately in any possible way, drink fluids, go to ER.

Thanks, helpful info. Since I'm only talking about a once a week walk, I think lowering the intensity is going to be key. I will definitely keep at it for through April and May and then see how I feel.