Excercising at home

Options
I have no time recently because of work, house work and volunteering and need to find a really productive way of losing weight and excercising at home.
I walk around all day at work and I've cut my calories and still no weight loss so I'm in need of advise please.
I've heard about the 30 day shred but not sure what it's about.

Thanks

Replies

• twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It's so easy these days to exercise at home. There are lots of workout DVD's...Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred being one of them. Most of them will burn around 250-300 in 3 minutes. Kettlebell's are also popular weights to use. Stretch cords...jump ropes...and of course walking...

good luck...
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and I use on-demand workout videos and I have a couple of DVD's I use. I switch it up so I dont get bored.
  • micheleinpa
    Options
    Hello.

I was in the same predicament as you are. Several of my MFP friends suggested the Leslie Sansone "Walk at Home" DVDs so I looked them up on Amazon and saw that they had excellent reviews and I ordered the 2 DVD set which contains Quick Start 1 & 2 Mile Walks along with the 3 mile walk. I am very happy with them, They get your heart rate up and make you sweat yet there are no difficult moves. She has many walking DVDs out with varying degrees of difficulty.

http://www.walkathome.com

Good luck.

5345368.png
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred is great!! I've never felt so good after such a quick workout! She is TOUGH! It's a circuit training workout. Strength, Cardio, Abs Repeat x3. Each circuit is different, it's really great! Try it!
  • halexandra
    halexandra Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've heard really good things about Zumba, if you like to dance. I haven't done it, myself, but I intend to start tomorrow. I believe on average, an hour of Zumba helps you lose about 400 calories. (I downloaded the videos free from isohunt. If I get into it, I think I'll buy the actual DVD's. I don't like to throw money out the window on something i won't use more than once.)
  • anner53108
    anner53108 Posts: 103
    Options
    My home is my gym. :) It helps that we have a spare room that I've deemed my workout room, with a small TV and DVD player.

I have a varied collection of workout DVDs (Jillian Michaels, Powerstrike, Biggest Loser, Bob Harper, etc.) and plan to add more -- and they are also a mix of cardio and strength training. I try to rotate the DVDs as much as possible to keep it interesting.
    If you don't want to buy them, you can either borrow DVDs from the local library, get them on-demand through cable or Netflix. Or even do that just to check them out.
    Collagevideo.com is a great site for exercise DVDs. You can watch clips of the DVDs to see if it's something you'd like, and there are tons of user reviews to give you a better idea about them, too. I highly recommend it for researching before you buy, whether you buy from there or not.

The 30-Day Shred DVD is great. It's a tough workout, especially if you're just beginning. As Jillian says often, she's going to work you hard if she's only got you for 20 mins/half hour! But it's effective, especially if you stick with it. Before I came to MFP, I lost about 15 pounds using exercise DVDs like 30DS. Problem is, I didn't stick with the plan very well. That's why I'm here. :)

Good luck!
  • tcsteeves
    tcsteeves Posts: 59
    Options
    I do Zumba 5 days a week at home with the DVD I ordered from their website. I really love it and I hope to one day go to an actual class at a gym somewhere. I would recommend this program.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I did all my weight loss fitness at home this year. I have a wii with Wii Fit Plus, haven't done that in a while because I bumped it up a notch. Now I'm doing Wii Zumba and it's a GOOD burner and way cheaper than classes. I do that one when I need to earn a lot of calories and want to have a 400-700 calorie workout. My husband is into the EA Sports Personal Trainer wii game, and I tried it and agreed it's also worthwhile. Eventually I'll get to that, too.

Around Christmas I got a few DVD's at a used book store fairly cheap: Biggest Loser Cardio Max, Bigest Loser Last Chance have both been very good. I did the first at least 3 X a week, now up to the Last Chance 3 or more X a week (in general). It's been really good toning with some small weights I got at Target. I'm taking twice as long as the video says doing them over until I feel like I did it all.

I have a Nordic Trak Ski machine that is easy on my joints that I do when all else fails or I want a low intensity but long duration thing, but now wish I had a treadmill. It works, though. I lost 25lbs with that and it was my main workout in the beginning. I've lost weight on it in the past, too.

I bought running shoes and walk sometimes. I burn more than MFP says. The heart rate monitor I got at christmas was the best thing I bought, and I feel confident to do things around the house like climbing stairs for a while, or walking and eat back those calories.

I have considered walk/running. I actually did it once! That one I'm going to go slow on! I've got fairly fit and near my goal all at home.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Day 3 of the 30 day shred. I love love love it!
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I alternate doing the 30 Day Shred (20 minutes) and Leslie Sandsone's (20-30 minutes) walk at home. I love Leslie's workouts because they are simple, and she's so encouraging and fun without being overbearing, in your face, or annoying. Jillian Michaels is very encouraging too and wants you to push through the pain and do your best.

The 30 Day Shred requires you to have light hand weights between 3-5 lbs, and will kick your butt. You do 3 circuits, 3 minutes of strength training exercises, 2 minutes of cardio, 1 minute of abs. There are three levels, 10 days on each. I alternate this video with straight cardio because I've had physical trainers and my doctor tell me I should not do circuit training daily, but every other day at the most. Others do 30 day shred every day with anything between 0 and 2 rest days. It's really up to you, as you know your body better than anybody.

The other option is to do the P90 or P90x workouts. They will burn more calories than the 30 day shred or the walk at home workouts. If you are new to exercise, I'd recommend starting with P90 as the exercises are less intense (but still will kick your butt).
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much done all my exercising at home. A bit of P90, a bit of Your Shape on Xbox 360, a bit of elliptical, a bit of stationary biking...I have mixed a few things in over the last couple of months. The 30 Day Shred also is quite popular with a lot of people. P90 is definitely a good workout, and we have a pretty good support group in another thread on here.