Eggplant Lasagna

Options
Healthyby30
Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
Trying to stay away from unneeded carbs right now but craving pasta, I made this lasagna for dinner..no one even noticed it was eggplant! Wish I would have discovered eggplant a LONG time ago! The bacon adds a smoky flavor to the meat, but can be omitted w/o changing it much.

2 medium/large eggplant peeled and sliced into 1/4" thick slices lengthwise
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey - nutrition info is for beef
4 slices lower sodium bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 24 oz jar marinara sauce - I used Prego veggie smart
1 15oz container ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
5 slices provolone cheese (about 4 oz)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil

Preheat oven to 350.

Place eggplant slices on 2 baking sheets. Spray with olive oil cooking spray (or use EVOO if you don't mind adding the extra calories) sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder. Cook in oven for about 15 minutes.

While the eggplant is in the oven, brown ground beef/turkey with onion, garlic, and bacon until beef and bacon are finished. Add in marinara sauce, turn heat down to a simmer for about 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine egg, ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and spices.

Once the eggplant is finished, grease a 9x13" baking dish. Place about 1 1/2 cups sauce in bottom of pan, on top of sauce slices of eggplant until sauce is covered sufficiently; add about 1 cup more sauce, then half of cheese mixture, repeat layer once more ending with eggplant slices. Top with remaining mozzarella and provolone cheese. Bake, uncovered about 35-45 min or until cheese is starting to brown.

Makes 12 servings

Per Serving
Calories 259, Carbs 13, Protein 21, Fiber 4, Sodium 492

Replies

• BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump. Sounds Yummy!
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful! I have copied it and emailed it to myself!
  • FreyaDH
    FreyaDH Posts: 31
    Options
    sounds amazing! i have the same problem with craving pasta all the time but it's so many carbs and calories! i will try this and let you know how it goes.
  • jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    looks yummy!!
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have had gastric bypass surgery and the only pastas I can consume are the larger noodles like lasgna. I love eggplant and never really knew how to cook them. Your recipe gave me a great idea on how to make eggplant parmesean as well. I will also try your lasgna.:happy:
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    thanks for sharing, I am going to try this, this week..... :)
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    YUMMO!!! Will have to try this one... totally have been craving lasagna!
    Thank you
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    OMG yummy. gotta try this
  • Jessicareneho
    Options
    I made this and it is amazing!!!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I made it with turkey instead of beef, and I think next time I might leave out the bacon but it was definitely a keeper!!
  • bella5469
    bella5469 Posts: 43
    Options
    bump
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    This sounds fantastic! I posted an Eggplant Lasagna about a week ago that was FABO, but this one sounds better! I'll def. give this a whirl! :drinker:
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later. :tongue:
  • Alice37
    Alice37 Posts: 29
    Options
    Bump! Def trying this!
  • adobmeier
    adobmeier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i made a much simpler version of this. All i did was skin and cut the eggplant into round med-thin pieces and put sauce in bottom of casserole dish put parm cheese and used boca crumbles (like ground meat but are vegetarian) and did 3 layers of this and put some panko bread crumbs on top baked at 350 for about 45 mins. Not complicate, easy to prepare, lowfat and tasty!!!