How much water is too much?

Options
Hey gang. I've been on the site for almost a week now, and have had no problem with my 8 glasses of water a day. In fact, I'm drinking more like double that. My question is...how much water is too much. I've been told that too much water will actually mess up the body's electrolytes. Any ideas???

Replies

• tluttrell
    tluttrell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too. I'm interested to see if anyone has info on this.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    It is really hard to drink to much water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

I have worked in a lab for the last 10 years. I know if you have other conditions then you can drink too much water, but if you are otherwise healthy you should be fine.
  • tammyhale98273
    Options
    In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes to much water can cause problems ive heard also. I was told to drink in ounces half of you body weight So if you 150lbs 75oz water is what you drink,
  • nissafull
    nissafull Posts: 48
    Options
    I was taught through the Michael Thurmond six week body makeover to drink 1/2 oz of water x lbs, of body weight. I have not had a problem with it.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You can get hyponatremia from drinking too much water. Your sodium level gets too low and affects your brain function. For a normal person, you would have to drink quite a bit over a fairly short time. But it happens. It just happened to my friend's dad about 2 months ago.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I drink when I am thirsty making sure I get the minimum 64oz per day. Some days, like today, I drink double or more. The only negative effect I have ever noticed is being in the bathroom half the night.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Here is a link you might want to look at. You would have to drink quite a bit of water to cause hyopnatremia, but it is real and can be very dangerous condition. What is also important is that if you become use to drink a large amt of water and then suddenly stop - that can also have an adverse effect on your electrolytes. Welcome to MFP!!!

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I've been known to drink 21 cups of water....I was told today by my step dad (he's a nurse) that I may be drinking to much water because it does mess with your electrolytes because there is so much volume in your system but he says it takes A LOT of water to do that. He said..."it takes an awful lot of water to do that though"