scale vs inch loss

Options
The scale really frustrates me, and I wonder why I am so addicted to that number going down. Isn't it more important that my clothes are fitting better, I am getting compliments and that I am losing inches? Did any of you ever throw out the scale and just use a measuring tape??

Replies

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I totally ignored the tape. My clothing would serve that purpose.
    I just watch the scale numbers getting smaller.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Sorry, No advice from this scale addict. LOL
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say I have. I know I should (since changes in waist, hip, etc. are more relevant than weight changes but sadly I am a hypocrite and seeing that little number change seems more real than the measurement tape (maybe it seems to easy to suck in the belly, etc. At least I have gotten so far as only measuring my weight every two weeks, rather than daily, twice:)
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I too have been frustrated with that! I am doing Insanity and I feel so discouraged even though I feel stronger! I think even if I wanted to though, I wouldn't be able to lose the scale!

Good Luck!!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I check my weight everyday on the scale... it does get frustrating sometimes... but I am also realizing that inches also matter and I am trying to check my waist size once a week or so. I don't necessarily lose inches everytime I lose weight so I try to hold off checking my waist until later on, but I have dropped from size 12 to size 6 and now I'm almost in size 4 jeans again!!!!
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Im all about the measuring, i measure every week and weigh myself every other week, but i do get really mad when the scale doesnt move but atleast im lossing inches
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to the scale too! :ohwell: I irresistibly weigh myself every morning. However, I force myself to think: "Hey! I'm gaining muscle to replace the fat!" And it keeps me motivated.
    Hope that helps a bit! :flowerforyou:
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like weighing in but it doesn't affect me much anymore. I mostly measure. Also a fun thing for me is buying a pair of pants and shirt that is one size smaller than my current size and trying them on once every two weeks to see how close I am. XD
  • princessmedic
    Options
    I am a scale fanatic. I weigh like twice a day! It just makes me more aware of what I am doing. I realize it fluctuates all day and that's ok. Where I have the issue is the tape measure! I must not be measuring correctly because I have lost 50lbs and I have not seen a huge difference in the inches. I have lost 4 inches on my hips & waist, and none anywhere else!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! I am HATING my scale, and I think it hates me right back! I am working out 5 (sometimes more) days a week and have been on a super clean, healthy diet and I have barely lost any weight, according to my scale. However, I can see the difference in my body, and my clothes are fitting fantastic. Plus I get compliments daily! So I know I need to just break up with my scale and move on....its a bad relationship to be in! As long as I'm seeing results, the number should not matter!
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! The scale is my friend, yet my enemy at the same time. The numbers are not dropping nearly as quickly as the inches are. Since January, I'm down 3 pants sizes, 2 shirt sizes, but only 21 pounds! I am participating in a weight loss challenge with my Zumba friends, so I get weighed in every Monday. My scale at home is supposed to remain in my closet until Monday afternoon before I go for my weigh-in (so that I can be prepared). I open my closet doors, look at the scale and have to tell myself NO and the scale NO, then close the doors. I have a friend that keeps telling me she's going to come over and take it away lol.

Good luck to all of you! That scale is a lil' demon!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i'm also a scale addict.. i weigh 1x a week at least. this past week i weighed 3x and i noticed i could lose 2 pounds overnight. the scale def isn't the most accurate but it's the easiest.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Well I don't weigh myself weekly. I'll do it every 2 or 3 weeks because I prefer seeing a big difference when I look. Try doing that if possible. The thing is, although there's a certain amount of pounds I want to lose, the weight itself isnt a big deal to me because I don't look like I weigh what I do. I just want to look slim(mer). I don't care what the scale says. I care what the mirror says! :)
  • tnielsen2
    Options
    the fit of my clothes is much more important to me. But I also get disappointed when the scale doesn't move. We all have to remember that if we are utilizing weight training in our workouts, we are putting on muscle weight while burning fat. So the scale may not move all the time. The proof is in how lean we look and how our clothes fit. :)
  • ChantiD
    ChantiD Posts: 1
    Options
    forget the scale... for some it is a motivator they need.. for others it becomes a disabler... so throw it out!!!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    In the Middle Ages, they had guillotines, stretch racks, whips and cahins. Nowadays, we have a much more effective torture device called the bathroom scale. ~Stephen Phillips :tongue:
  • KJacobson84
    Options
    I read in a woman's health magazine that when trying to lose weight you should check the scale daily...that way you won't let yourself get too out of control. I check my weight daily so I stay on track. Once a week I do my measurements: arms, bust, waist, hips and thys. Some times I don't always see the scale move but the inches are coming off. That just means I'm probably building muscle. I've lost 3 1/2 inches in my waist and hips so far. Keep it up...you'll start to see the scale move too!
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    In the Middle Ages, they had guillotines, stretch racks, whips and cahins. Nowadays, we have a much more effective torture device called the bathroom scale. ~Stephen Phillips :tongue:
    :laugh: Love it! I agree 100%...it is my arch nemesis.