Heavy

Options
Has anyone been watching the new series "Heavy" on A&E? I have and it is so inspirational. In the last episode I watched, the 2 people participated in a triathalon...It made me think that if they can do that, I can do my 1hr of aerobics at the gym.

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser is my motivation!!!! I love watching them every Tuesdays! I work out on my bike while watching.
  • Larry1369
    Larry1369 Posts: 59
    Options
    I wasn't aware of this show, thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a look.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've watched it a few times. It's a very good show! I saw one transformation that was just so unbeilevable!!! they do well.
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    No I will have to mention that one to my daughter but she and I were watching " I Used to be Fat." that is a great show !
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Heavy is good as it focuses on 2 people instead of 24 involved in gameplay.
    I did prefer the earlier episodes where they did 30 days on campus and then 5 months at home dealing with real life while continuing the weight loss (if they gained back to campus they came) but recent episodes appear to be 6 months on campus... While I can see myself in the at home portion of the earlier ones I just can't take a vacation from everyday concerns to lose this weight in that focused setting so it's not resonating as much with me lately.
  • KIMBELKOWSKI
    KIMBELKOWSKI Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the show HEAVY!!! It is very inspiring each week. They had a female on there that was about my height and just a bit heavier than me. Her transformation was stunning! She worked so hard and was so driven. At the end of her journey she rode her bike home!
  • christinar2008
    christinar2008 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is inspirational. Ruby on the Style Network is also very inspiring. She started at over 700lbs and is down to around 350. If these people can do it we can too.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I love Heavy and I Used to Be Fat.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been watching it online. But honestly, A&E's web site SUCKS so bad. Their player is awful , you have to sit through a commercial every time you click on anything. I don't mind a commercial, but it's the SAME commercial every time. When I'm trying to get back to where I left off, I have to sit through a commercial. If I'm watching a 10 minute clip or a 1 minute clip, I have to watch a commercial.

Also, it takes it from Full Screen back down to a window and they jack up the volume. But it doesn't go back to full screen. Kinda makes it a pain when you're on the treadmill.

I will probably just download them off bit torrent and not bother with these inconveniences. A&E needs to put more logic into their player! Take a clue fro m Hulu or YouTube.

But, yes, it's a good show :) I also watch Super Size vs Super Skinny ( you have to find them on YouTube), it's a British show.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I find that with a lot of channels, A&E, Discovery, Global... they're so hung up on traditional advertising methods they try to force them on us on here too, I don't mind unobtrusive commercials but breaking up an episode into 4 or 5 chunks and making me watch a commercial... I might as well just watch it on TV.... I'm starting to just skip watching shows that interest me and waiting for the season to come out on DVD so I can watch it uninterrupted. Not sure when they started doing it but it bugs me too with a show where they'll bring out a new season, show 4 episodes then it's on hiatus for 3 or 4 weeks til there's new episodes again, gimme a season and be done with it.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I did prefer the earlier episodes where they did 30 days on campus and then 5 months at home dealing with real life while continuing the weight loss (if they gained back to campus they came) but recent episodes appear to be 6 months on campus... While I can see myself in the at home portion of the earlier ones I just can't take a vacation from everyday concerns to lose this weight in that focused setting so it's not resonating as much with me lately.
    I agree with you -- the 6 months in-patient isn't as real-life-like so it's harder to buy into. But I still love watching "Heavy" and "I used to be fat" when that was on earlier this season. I really like that the shows aren't competitions.
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I agree about the earlier episodes, I liked them better, and I also liked the trainers better. As with The Biggest Loser, these people are working out for hours a day, for most of us, that is unreasonable. It's still inspirational to see these people start out with so much to lose, and to get so close to, or exceed their goals.

I've also watched Ruby several times and I do like it a lot. I can't imagine being 700lbs. I'm in the 240's and sometimes get overwhelmed by the idea of losing 65.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I love both Heavy and Biggest Loser.
  • GonnaDoItJenn
    GonnaDoItJenn Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I watched it religiously before we decided to cancel our cable service to help us get moving. I do wish that it would show online.... might have to check that out.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    check out clicker it allows you to choose other sites that may host the same program.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been watching Heavy on A&E. I actually watch it on demand when I do the overnights at work so I am not tempted to sneak a couple of those yummy chocolates that they keep in a bowl on the coffee table in the staff room!!! Grrrr...
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    While I think these shows are motivational, the problem to me is that it's unrealistic. I WISH I could work out 5 hours a day and THAT be my job- but the reality is it's very hard to keep up at that rate for the rest of your life. I also think that TBL gives people who don't get the whole process to begin with, very unrealistic expectations for weight loss. Most people do not lose 25lb a week, unless, you're like the ppl from TBL, and start at 400lbs and work out 5 hours a day.
    I know someone who was on TBL - a couple's version , and even she agreed with that.