What is your go to food at a restaurant?

Options
is there something you Usually order when you eat out at a restaurant because you know it is on most menus and is low(er) cals?

Replies

• Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well, I have an app on my phone called Restaurant Nutrition that has several chain restaurants on it. If I go out, I try to go to restaurants that have provided the info. If not, I try to stick with basic salads or grilled chicken/vegetables.
  • miss01k
    miss01k Posts: 13
    Options
    I am not shy about asking to see their nutrition information anymore. Most restaurants have it on hand.
  • aangrisani
    Options
    I try to go to dinners because a lot of the time they will make you what you want. I mostly go out to eat after the gym and I always crave protein, eggwhites with spinach or grilled chicken. If I am out for social reasons, I try to eat salads or look for sometype of diet food or things that are pointed out on the menus
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The database here has a lot of restaurants and another site is www.livestrong.com. A lot of restaurants have healthier choices on menus and some restaurant you go to their site online to get nutritional info.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Grilled meat and veggies. Try for fish or chicken, but have ordered a small steak and only eaten 3-4 oz of it when nothing else looked like a possibility. With a dinner salad (with FF dressing) , I'm usually safe.
  • mjtmorr
    mjtmorr Posts: 75
    Options
    Almost all restaurants have some type of grilled chicken dish on the menu, that would be my go to choice.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Steak, steamed veggies & salad. (everything prepared to my specs.)
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If I go to a fast food place I usually go for a grilled chicken sandwich but I do not order fries, Just the sandwich and water. If I am out to a sit down restaurant I usually will look for the same think but maybe with some veggies. If I order a steak I usually will stick to just half of it.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never knew an app like that existed! Thanks for the heads up :D
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention to NOT assume that steamed vegetables, etc. or "fresh vegetable selection of the day" or however a restaurant has worded what seemingly is a healthy choice- is healthy for you! A lot of restaurants (chain restaurants are especially bad) add butter. *** Edit to add- I'm not saying butter is bad for you necessarily- but sometimes it is drenched in butter and you cannot even taste the vege***

I always make sure I ask how the item is cooked and I don't assume anything. I ask what type of oil is used, etc. They are providing a product and service for my $ and I only want to pay for exactly what I want... so make sure you come prepared with- or prepared to ask for- information!!!

Oh yeah- for your original question... I usually only order things at restaurants that I rarely prepare at home... such as grilled shrimp or other seafood item. If I order something else like chicken or steak- I usually end up ticked off b/c I could have cooked it better at home, with healthier ingredients, and with a much better taste... lol
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    Grilled meat and steamed veggies, and salads as well. Don't be scared to ask for the cheese and dressing on the side (tip: dip your fork in the dressing between bites and you will eat WAY less of it) and also ask them to prepare the meats and cooked veggies without added salt or butter/fats.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Salad with grilled chicken or salmon.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I try to be good and order a lean protein with a veggie.

My favorite thing to eat out is Mexican, and I am a huge fan of anything smothered with cheese. But I have been choosing chicken fajitas lately. I can have a fajita and then also some of the meat & veggies on their own. It's not loaded with sour cream and guacamole and cheese like many of the other entrees.

At other restaurants, my weaknesses are bread and fried foods, so I let myself have them if we're out. But I try to be very mindful of portion sizes (one slice of bread with a dip of oil, for example). Then I just try to savor it and enjoy it and take my time.
  • silverwolf0104
    Options
    Salad, fish, chicken, vegetable-based dishes. The items with the least ingredients are typically the best and I always pick grilled over fried to save fat and calories. My fast food fave is Panera bread's You Pick 2 meal. Half a turkey sandwich + Half a salad = 300 calories or so.