vegi enthusiasm?

Options
Hey guys, I just started mfp. So far I've done fairly well keeping right around my goal calories but I haven't been eating any healthier than when I started and I think it's because I just can't get pumped for vegetables. Does anyone have any tricks besides enlisting my friends to force feed me broccoli? Thanks so much!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Sneak them in sauces (pureeing helps). Mash steamed broccoli into mashed potatoes. Check your library for that Jessica Seinfeld cookbook that is about sneaking veggies into kids.
  • luciaruth
    Options
    thanks melsinct! thats genius
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's all about knowing how to prepare them in a delicious way. I never thought I liked cauliflower until I tried roasting it in the oven. You just break it into flowerets, drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper on it, toss, and put it in a 400 degree F oven for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to get it browned all over. The edges of the cauliflower kind of caramelize when you do this, and the flavor intensifies. It is so good, I could eat an entire head of cauliflower myself! You can cook fresh asparagus the exact same way (but it only takes 10-15 minutes).

Also, eat veggies when they are in season - the flavor is SO much better. A fresh, ripe tomato in the summer is 10x better than a mealy, orange-y one in the winter.
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I puree spinach, carrots, and onions, and garlic and put them into turkey meatloaf or meatballs! YUMMY! :)
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    mmmmm.... the roasted cauliflower sounds good! i've become a big fan of roasted brussel sprouts too (never thought I'd say that)
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great idea about hiding them. I do it on a daily basis for my toddler... If you grate veggies (carrot, sw potato, zuchinni) into things they pretty much disappear and you wont notice them.

Soup are a good way to get lots of veggies in without too much pain. Make Chicken and Corn soup and add some grated zuchinni or sw potato. Or just make up a big lentil soup with bacon and add lots of other veggies, then you can puree it into a smooth soup and you wont even know that you've added stacks of veg.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    if i make pasta, i try to put veggies in my sauce after lightly sauteeing them (like squash/zucchini). yummy!