How long to train for a marathon?

Options
Anyone here trained for and ran a marathon or know of somebody who has? How long does it take? How do you build up to that? Any info you could share would be appreciated.

Replies

• Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    Most training plans are about 18 weeks - google Hal higdon for some great free plans! That being said, you need to have done consistent mileage (20ish a week) for at least several weeks to take on the kind of mileage needed. I've done 4 marathons, more than 2 dozen halfs, and more 5ks than I can count.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    consistent mileage (20ish a week)

Is that in kilometers or miles?
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda training for one myself. I ran one about 22 year and 90 lbs ago. I've lost about 70
    of those 90 pounds as I get back to a better "me" weight and "running" weight.

I think for non-runners to begin you must focus on two things, enjoying consistently
    training, and don't hurt yourself.

I'm doing it sort of backwards, but I think it is pretty smart for me in my condition. I'm going
    to do all I can to count calories, and consistently do light impact exercise, ie occasional slow
    jogging, bicycling, and yoga. I'm going to consider my "training" to begin *after* I get
    down close to a healthy running weight, (maybe five more months).

For me, and I think many, simply beginning training for a marathon isn't going to have
    someone drop all there extra weight (it is better than nothing) but I think doing smarter
    things to lose my weight, and then build on that by beginning training will keep me
    eating healthy, being consistent weather "training" or not, and not injure myself.

Let us know what you decide to do.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Isa - thank you!
    Wakx - wondering that myself.
    Chris - You make great points. I *am* concerned about 1) injuring myself trying to train and 2) is it the right time to? At my height (5'7"), I am now in "normal range" according to BMI... 155lbs. Mid-range is my goal- 140lbs. Being 15 lbs. from middle normal range, I'm wondering if I should begin training with biking (work up my legs without the ground impact with my weight behind it). ? Also wondering if there are personal trainers out there who specialize in helping you achieve this kind of goal. It's a lot to consider, but I turn 30 in September and that's about 6 months away... what better way to hit 30 than with my first marathon?
  • suelaw
    suelaw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How long it will take depends on where you are starting from. If you are just starting to run, I'd allow 8 weeks to train for a 5K and another 8 weeks more to go from a 5K to a 10K. At that point you should be running three to four times a week for a total of 15-25 miles, and you should be able to run 6 miles without stopping. From there you could jump into a marathon training program, most are usually 18-20 weeks. However, I would strongly recommend training for a half marathon first, most programs are 12-16 weeks. Someone mentioned Hal Higdon's training programs which are great. Also Runner's World has a personal coach feature that lets you customize a program based on your pace and preferences.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Are you a runner now? I ran my first marathon last December. I've been running since 2007, and didn't feel ready until just last year. I previously ran 3 half marathons and a number of 5k's and 10k's. A marathon is not something to be taken lightly. 26.2 miles is not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

I was already running around 20 miles per week and my 18 week program got me running around 35mpw near the end.
  • maserati185
    Options
    anzura - no, I am not a runner. I have been a very good competitive runner in the past, but no competition in my adult life whatsoever. So much that I joined MFP and started this journey focused on weight loss but as I get smaller, I feel the passion for running returning. I don't believe a marathon is simple. I have ran 5 mile stretches in the past and remember what an accomplishment that felt like. But that's part of what I'm trying to figure out - is it possible to go from beginner to achievement in 6-7 months time? Maybe I should focus on a half marathon instead. May be more realistic and still a goal to be very proud of.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    anzura - no, I am not a runner. I have been a very good competitive runner in the past, but no competition in my adult life whatsoever. So much that I joined MFP and started this journey focused on weight loss but as I get smaller, I feel the passion for running returning. I don't believe a marathon is simple. I have ran 5 mile stretches in the past and remember what an accomplishment that felt like. But that's part of what I'm trying to figure out - is it possible to go from beginner to achievement in 6-7 months time? Maybe I should focus on a half marathon instead. May be more realistic and still a goal to be very proud of.

Hmmmm, I believe that since you were once a runner in the past, you will probably gain your running fitness back quicker than someone who is just starting from scratch. I think 6 months is waaaaayyyy too soon though! Adding miles too fast is a ticket to injury.
    Maybe your goal can be to run a marathon in your 30th years...not right when you turn 30. So you have the entire year to train.
    My advice would be to sign up for a 5k, then a 10k, then you can tackle a half. After you run 13.1, you should be able to really be truthful with yourself if you want to run double what you just ran.
    Any race with a finish line is something to be proud of. But I understand, I had a marathon on my bucket list, now I want to do another one to better my time ::crazy::
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you have been a runner in the past you could probably do it in six months. I did that once, starting from zero and then running a 3:36 marathon in six months.

However, it will not be pleasant. You will have to push your mileage way beyond 10% increases and will walk a fine line between improvement and injury the whole time.
  • maserati185
    Options
    Scott. Thank you for this post. That is incredible that you did that. I am going to focus on the 1/2 marathon, long term. Looking at my numbers today, I don't know if my body can become fit enough, quickly enough, to handle the full deal.

I found my 5k last night. It's local and 7 weeks away. I checked out Hal Higdon's training site and wow... very cool. I am going to start his 8week program for the Novice 5k tomorrow. And as my birthday draws closer, I think I'll have a better view of what my body/mind can handle.