Anyone go from P90X/Insanity to Zumba?

Options
I am going to try my first Zumba class Monday. I am a P90X and Insanity grad and wonder if this will keep my heart rate up? Has anyone else changed workouts like this? I just want to mix it up but want to make sure I have a good sweat going on still!

Replies

• trc117
    trc117 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've done all 3. Zumba is definitely not as challenging as p90 or Insanity. If you're looking for the same type of challenge with a different spin on it, try Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire.
  • CBRITO
    CBRITO Posts: 11
    Options
    I find it depends on the instructor, and you make it what you what!!... I live Zumba, if you love danicing it could be a great cardio work out for you.
    Good Luck Have Fun.... ZUUUUMMMBA!!!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I haven't done P90X/Insanity but I have done Zumba. It is fun but I don't consider it a great burn. You have to really shake it in Zumba to get your heart rate up. Also, the instructors at my gym seem to talk a lot between songs so my heart rate decreases. I get a better cardio workout from spin class or running. I just do Zumba to mix things up every once in a while.
  • angelagrubbs
    angelagrubbs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    While zumba is fun and a decent workout, it is no where near the P90x/Insanity level. Insanity is my favorite.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've never done either of those but I consider myself "overweight inshape" haha - I agree with the others, depends on the instructor. Mine is CRAZY - there is NO gap inbetween songs and her moves are challenging with lots of fast steps and jumping. I usually burn around 750 calories.

I will say give it 3 classes before you decide if you like it or not. The first couple of classes can be overwhelming because you're still trying to learn the moves - once you get those down you can really put some "umph" into them and burn those calories!
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i have to disagree with some on here. Have you ever wore a HRM while doing P90X and zumba????????

I have and that's one thing that i have seen a BIG difference on. I get in the 170's with zumba and only 140s with the p90x DVD's

this is one reason why i always went back to zumba, for the higher HR :)

with that said i just put in my order for turbo fire cause thats the kinda work out i love.....the go go go kind!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Ok I went to Zumba and burned I believe 648 calories in an hour so I got a good burn going on! All of the dance moves I once knew came back and I was able to reallly rock it :-) It was fun and I would definitely do it again!