Broken up worth it or waste of time????

Options
Had a hard time getting in exercise today since having to be at ballfield ALL day. Soooo I did 30min here and then 20min there in between games until i reached 1.5hr combined. Did I just waste my time or does this still help even tho its all broken up into segments? FYI...I can walk a 14min mile so Im huffin it when Im walking

Replies

• LadyT02182011
    Options
    All of it counts. Sometimes it's better to split it up. Good job!
  • jessicafreake
    Options
    any exercise is better than none at all even if it is broken up, good job
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Every little bit helps!
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    Some people say that it's fine to break it up and others say it's best to give yourself one hardcore workout. I think you did great today! You didn't have time to do it all at once but you did get a workout in and I think that is fabulous! :smile: It's much better then doing nothing at all!
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    probably even better than doing one big work out....
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I find that's what works best for me most of the time. I split my workouts into 3 timeframes today. This week alone I have lost 3 lbs from doing that and eating more during the day and less at night. I think I found that's the key for me for steady weight loss.
  • x3mommy
    x3mommy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have heard that whatever you normally do, it is good to shake it up every once in awhile! I am impressed you do that type of workout! I would be happy if I could have done just one section of it.... I plan to join the work out fun again tomorrow after a little break.... Give yourself credit and see what the scale says at the end of the week!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I often do multiple work outs each day! I work out in the morning if I get up early enough, then after work and then usually take a walk or something later in the evening. I think all exercise is worth it.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Had a hard time getting in exercise today since having to be at ballfield ALL day. Soooo I did 30min here and then 20min there in between games until i reached 1.5hr combined. Did I just waste my time or does this still help even tho its all broken up into segments? FYI...I can walk a 14min mile so Im huffin it when Im walking

Two short intense workouts is way better. You get two metabolic afterburns, see: epoc (excess post exercise oxygen consumption).
  • angelicpiece101
    angelicpiece101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    well like they all have said any workout is better then none, but its best to exercise for at least 30min straight with cardio to tap into the stored body fat that you are trying to get rid of. before the 30 mins you arent tapping into your reserved energy to keep your body going to work through the exercise. I recently took a nutrition class and it explained all of this. if i find my book when i get back home tomorrow ill post another thing with more specifics on this.
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Technically it's best to do one long workout because after 20 minutes of an elevated heart rate your body starts to burn it's own fat deposits. However, doctors have determined that all exercise (even if it's only 5 minutes here and there) add up through the day and improve your overall health. So, it was definitely still worth it. Plus, more calories burned means you get to eat more. :-)
  • NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you SOOO much for ALL your responses! Just one more reason I love this site and program. I was actually feeling kinda let down that I wasnt able to get my regular exercise in but just reading all the support in your answers really gave me that boost and even helped me to really stick to my caloric limits and stay on track. Those of you that have children in sports know how EXTREMELY challanging this can be when you are at the ballpark ALLLL day long with no decent food choices! Thanks again for all the support guy n gals...Best of luck to you ALL this week!
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i dont know, my sister in law does something called tabata (??sp??) and she said it's basically like, these short little 4 minute really intense work outs. I don't know if it gets results or not, seeing how i've never tried it, but she's pretty fit so, i guess it works....