whey protein vs whey isolate

Options
nomex
nomex Posts: 142 Member
Ok... so I decided to try a protein shake. I bought some at our local supermarket. There were many choices like cookies and cream, strawberry. I had my heart set on vanilla, but there wasn't any! Anyway, on top of the flavor choices, there was also the choice between whey, soy, and whey isolate!!! I went with the whey isolate, because it was the only one that didn't have a crazy flavor! It actually has no flavor. I put it in my smoothies (berries, milk, ice, banana).

now that I have tried it, it doesn't taste so hot! It actually tastes like the powdered formuale we give baby calves when they require supplements (when their mom doesn't produce or when mom died in calving). well, it tastes like that stuff smellls. I ve never actually tasted that before?

anyway, two questions: 1. Difference between whey protein and whey isolate. 2. any way to make this stuff taste better? or hints to hide the taste?

thanks all!

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I am interested to know the answer to the question about the whey protein vs the isolates. But as for the flavor I mix mine with vanilla soy milk or almonds milk usually only 4oz and then 4oz of water and I add a banana 1 whole small and 1 tbs of flaxseed to me that way does not give me a bad taste at all its yummy.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    thanks wendy. I will try that. I never thought of putting cocoa in my smoothie. I bet that WOULD be good!
  • particlefizix
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate tends to be taken by people that are lactose intolerant... it also has lower fat and usually higher protein content per scoop. This extra processing to remove lactose and fat probably removes some other valuable nutrients. But other than that, there's not much difference between isolate and 'regular' whey protein concentrate. :-)

If your carb/sugar allowances can stand it (with berries and bananas and berries I can't see why not :-) ), then orange juice (is especially good with chocolate flavoured whey) or light drinking yoghurt which often masks the 'protein' aftertaste completely.
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    Here is something you will like, spike if you wish but you really don't have to and loaded with protein !

Cevyn's Ultimate Protein Smoothie

1 cup Tropicana Orange-Pineapple juice
    2 cups frozen strawberries
    1 TBS Honey
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    1 pack Nasoya SILKEN tofu
    1 cup Silk Very Vanilla soymilk
    1 large banana
    12 packets Splenda
    Spike w/Coconut Rum or Coconut Vodka (Cevyn Recommends!)

Place all ingredients into powerful blender and blend until smooth and creamy!

and any other smoothie's or flavored coffee drinks use soy, almond or coconut milk as much lower in calories !
  • MarciRenee74
    MarciRenee74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can get a vast number of protein powder from the internet....all you have to do is a google search.

I recommend -
    Champion Pure Whey Stack - it comes in chocolate, vanilla, cookies & cream, bananna scream...and those are the flavors off the top of my head...you can find them at www.allstarhealth.com

As for an unflavored whey protein that mixes in nicely - my favorite is Optimum Nutrition's Any Whey - http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/optimum_nutrition-100_percent_any_whey_protein.htm

All the ones that you can get from the supermarket taste like Monkey Butt if you ask me!!
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure in Dutch Chocolate, and it is a whey isolate. I believe that it is a simpler protein that is more easily absorbed into the muscles after working out. Mine tastes great. For two scoops it is 220 cals with 50g of protein. It is also low carb and no sugar and I just mix it with water. On most days I just have 1 scoop with about 5oz of water. I love it! I got it at the Vitamin Shoppe. It was $45 for 3lbs I think, says it has like 22 servings, 2 scoop servings that is.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that whey isolate is a form of whey protein that is most easily absorbed. It comes in flavors or unflavored so if you don't like the unflavored you can get the flavor you wish. The isolate will cost more in my experience. I have the unflavored and also dont' like the taste. I use mine in blended drinks as follows:

this pretty much explains it. i doubt any of us are going to see any major difference in results by switching between isolate, concentrate, casein or a blend.
    just find something that's affordable, has a decent profile and taste good. i like to try new kinds and i've definitely bought my share of nasty tasting powders so you just have to learn to mask the flavors with fruit, chocolate sauce, cocoa powder, crystal light, etc....

if you want a great tasting protein try Myofusion by Gaspari. it's a little higher in calories, but it tastes great with milk or water.