People with Panic Attacks

Options
I am looking to find a few people who also suffer from panic attacks to talk to.

Compare triggers, coping, etc...

Please hit me up here or in a message,

Thanks.

Replies

• clark114
    clark114 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to get them often and thought it was due to hormonal changes. I haven't had one for quite some time but was prescribed Xanax (wonderful drug) but it can be addicting!
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have xanas rarely take it because it doesn't help me Mine are pretty extreme.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I used to hyperventilate then a panic attack would set in, all stopped since I gave up smoking. I don't wish them on anyone they are very scary
  • iamthepreston
    Options
    This is my issue I want to run again, but anytime I get winded I start to panic.

It has crept over to other parts of my life now, and I am ready to start doing all of the things I used to enjoy.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I don't have panic attacks but situational anxiety does rear its ugly head from time to time. I posted a short blog about it, if you're interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/anxiety-81701
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Had my first one at 15.. got picked on in P.E. mercilessly, they were aiming volleyballs at my head. The room started spinning and I couldn't breathe. I didn't know what it was and it was so terrifying.
    Thankfully I have never had one of that scale since then. I rarely get them anymore. They are for me triggered strictly by my social anxiety and especially the feeling of being overwhelmed by being stared at/judged by lots of people around (big crowds). I try now to detach myself from the situation/moment and "take" myself somewhere else. I'll sit down or close my eyes and remove myself from the trigger.
    I remember once I had one at a Starbucks, and this young woman recognized it on my face. She mouthed, "Are you ok?" and looked deeply concerned. I came out of it and mouthed back, "Yes," and she smiled. I was so utterly touched by her concern for a complete stranger and I am still grateful to her for that. I believe if more people understood panic attacks (or, more aptly, *tried* to understand) and showed empathy and care for their sufferers like this woman, rather than stigmatise and say it's a "choice" (like is oft said about depression sufferers), there would be a lot less panic attacks in the world everyday.
  • iamthepreston
    Options
    Any aternoon people out there?
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't get them anywhere near as much as I used to, but I think it's because I've learned to avoid closed in spaces. The minute I feel them coming on I usually remove myself from what I think may be triggering them. The last one I had was at a swim meet that was too crowded and too hot and to make matters worse the only door in or out was a revolving door on a 10 minute timer. It took me awhile to compose myself when I got out of there and even more to talk myself into going back in.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I got them when my Mom was hospitalized, and for a while after she died two years ago. My triggers are beeping, like hospital monitors, and sometimes crowds when shopping. Some Christmas music, too, since it was December when she died.

Xanax is amazing. I don't take it now, but have it on hand if needed. I was taking Lexapro, since that's for depression & anxiety, but have recently switched to the generic of Celexa, since it's way cheaper and does pretty much the same thing.

Exercising has helped loads, too. Maybe if you work up slowly with running, you won't get winded. I started with the Couch to 5k plan, and the first week, I only ran for 60 seconds at a time. Each week, the time was gradually more. Sixty second, then 90, then three minutes, then five, etc. It made my heart and lungs much stronger.
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    I get them. I am not sure where to begin to explain them. I really am trying to work hard to getting fresh air when I feel it starting, turning on some music, closing my eyes and taking deep breaths, and overall try to focus on anything else. They are random, and so far it doesn't seem to come from the same situation. I really hope you find ways to deal with them. They are treatable and you can make life changes that will make them better. I am not on any drug because personally I really don't want to be, as I have a pretty addictive personality (I get addicted, not people are addicted to my personality, lol) and am scared to take something for too long. Feel free to msg me if you want to talk more, and I'm sorry in advance if I can't offer much advice other than my own experience.