HCG?

Options
Probably not a new topic, but I just heard about it. I have a couple of friends who've lost weight using HCG. I've been doing some web research and, of course, found both good and bad comments about HCG and the Simeon protocol (or 500 calorie diet). I've lost 46lbs and have about as much still to lose.

Any and all comments about the use of HCG welcome :)

Mary

Replies

• JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of discussion on this one, try the search function. Some people rave about it, some people find it dangerous.
  • jennyfoxx
    jennyfoxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good morning - My suggestion to the HCG diet is RUN AWAY.. This is again another one of those fad diets. I think the amount of calories allowed using the HCG is rediculous!! You need to figure out how to be healthy so that it becomes a permanent life style change. Remember that losing weight and being healthy will not happen overnight but be patient and make a change that is permanent and healthy. Fad diets rarely ever produce a permanent weight loss.

Stay focused and positive and you will get the results that you are looking for. Hang in there..YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • winw
    winw Posts: 15
    Options
    JennyFox is right. You will certainly lose weight on 500 calories a day, but you will be burning muscle tissue as well as fat, and you will slow down your metabolism one more time. The minute you stop it, you will yo-yo right back to where you are (or were when you started) and then probably gain MORE.

The only way to lose weight and to keep it off in the LONG TERM is move more and eat less. It takes a long time this way, but it will work. Losing it slowly gives your body time to adjust to it's new metabolic balance as you go, so that once you reach your goal weight you will be more able to maintain it.

That said, it is a lifetime commitment. If you reach your goal weight following the MFP plan, you will still have to commit to watching it when you are ready for maintenance. You will still need to exercise, and still need to watch your calories, and most of all STILL need to go back on the plan EVERY time you let your weight creep up a couple of pounds. There is no easy way to do it.

The folks pushing ANY fast way to lose weight are the folk who are taking your money. They couldn't care less about you and your health, only about how much money they can convince you to spend of their products. Don't be gullible. Good luck.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You will drop a lot of weight but you will also slow your metabolism because you will lose precious muscle mass. When you come off the drops you will put weight back on, most of it fat because your body isn't burning it off like it was before. And you could possibly gain more.

It's just another fad diet. Isn't like 500 calories a day?

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

The body adapts to your lifestyle. If you want to change your body you have to change your lifestyle.
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I'll just keep doing as I have been. Moderation and exercise!