CONSTPATION

Options
ANYONE DEAL WITH CONSTANT CONSTIPATION? I BELIEVE THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS ENDEAVOR AND I NEED SOME ADVICE.

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would say try to eat more fruit and veges and fibre. Aim for about 25 to 30 gms of fibre everyday. Also drinking lots of water helps and prunes are marvellous for that also.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Fiber and LOT's of water...more than your 8 glasses a day . Just read an article about this. Constipation is not normal...regularity is and it's due to lack of fiber and water to help move ith through.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Fiber and LOT's of water...more than your 8 glasses a day . Just read an article about this. Constipation is not normal...regularity is and it's due to lack of fiber and water to help move ith through.

They recommend atleast 20 grams a day...fiber one bars are yummy...and adding fruit and veggies in somewhere will help you hit the goals! I'm working on this myself...it's rough stuff!
  • cmsnowden
    Options
    It depends if your contsipation is a new issue or a longstanding one.
    If a new issues, then increase your fibre intake and water intake (ie fruits and veggies ...but not too many bananas -binding), and increase your daily excercise (ie walking etc) . As you start to eat healthily it takes time for your body to adjsut*

If it is a longstanding issue, then just increasing your fibre and water intake, and exercise will not suffice. Visit your Family doctor and discuss any other related health issues, and possibly the use of PEG - Polyethelyne Glycol 3350. This is used successfully in people who require additional help to maintain softer motions. It is one of the best options for longstanding management of constipation, without any other underlying causes of the constipation.

Constipation itself should not stop you losing weight, although it may make you feel like it is!

Claire
    (paediatrician)
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I second the motion for lots of fiber and water consumption. I'm also going to add working out to the list of suggestions. Also, try eating 5 prunes a day. This helped me when I was feeling constipated.