Coconut oil is AMAZING for metabolism & weight loss!

Options
Plus, it has all kinds of other impressive benefits for your hair, skin, teeth and body in general.

If you're interested, check out the blog I posted listing my 10 favorite uses for coconut oil. :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/coconut-oil-10-uses-for-this-miracle-elixir-88556

Replies

• SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    BUMP !!:flowerforyou:
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I love the smell of coconut oil :happy:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I love the smell of coconut oil :happy:

I know, right!

I'm going to have to get some extra-virgin, as mine has no scent. LOVE coconut smell!
  • bermudaqueen02
    Options
    bump
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How do you make that weight loss chart a bottom of your blog.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    love it! try go raw brand products from whole foods :D has a good source of coconut oil! :D
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    How do you make that weight loss chart a bottom of your blog.

It's just an image I made in photoshop. There really needs to be something like that online! ...where you can just plug in your values. Though, I'm sure any image editing software would do the trick. Even Microsoft Paint could work. :)
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    love it! try go raw brand products from whole foods :D has a good source of coconut oil! :D

Nice! Thanks, I will check it out. I'm looking for a few different varieties to keep in the house. :)
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    I use it religiously in my hair and all over my skin! LOVE it! Since I never use use any oil for most cooking I haven't yet gotten to try it otherwise. I've been interested to see if anyone has had experience with weight loss with it though as I know they sell the capsules.

BTW-Thanks for posting your blog! Lots of info I didn't know! I love popcorn and that will be the first thing I will try with my coconut oil:-)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I bought some when my son had a horrible diaper rash and it worked great for that but I wasnt sure how to use the rest. (I put some into a separate container for his rash....will not use that for food just to be clear lol)
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    Where do you find it?? We don't have a Whole Foods or anything like it here! I would LOVE to try some!!
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    Where do you find it?? We don't have a Whole Foods or anything like it here! I would LOVE to try some!!

Some grocery stores sell it but in my area its hard to find unless you go to a GNC, or any Vitamin specialty store. I buy mine at Whole Foods and Vitamin World in the mall.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2009/04/14/coconut-oil-good-or-bad/

A couple weeks ago, some of you brought up the coconut oil controversy — with many praising this high-fat oil as a healthy choice. Eager to know more about the latest studies, I investigated more. Here’s what I found.

Saturated Fat Basics
    Ever since restaurants started banning trans fats, tropical oils like coconut started making a comeback. With its high smoke, it is ideal for high-heat cooking methods like frying.

Coconut oil is one of the only plant-based sources of saturated fat (others include palm and palm kernel oils). Animal sources of saturated fat include butter, whole dairy products, beef and poultry skin. According to the American Heart Association, American Medical Association and USDA, we should limit our saturated fat to 7-10% of our daily calorie intake — this includes eating tropical oils such as coconut, which contains 92% saturated fat (one of the highest sources of saturated fats around).

According to the American Dietetics Association, 20-35% of daily calories should come from fat. They promote replacing most saturated and trans fats (e.g. margarine) with unsaturated fats such as olive, walnut and peanut oils.

The Controversies
    Most old-school nutrition experts slam coconut oil because of its sat-fat content. Pro-coconut oil advocates, meanwhile, argue that the oil is easily absorbed because it’s a medium-chained triglyceride (I won’t go on about the science). However, there’s strong evidence that suggests the various fatty acids found in coconut oil, including lauric, palmitic and myristic acid (all medium-chained triglycerides), raise both LDL (bad) and HDL (good) cholesterol and total cholesterol.

Then there’s the argument that tropical regions use coconut oil as a staple, but they don’t have a higher heart disease rates when compared to areas that primarily use olive oil. Thing is, these tropical regions also don’t eat as many packaged processed and fatty fried foods as Americans! Plus, Americans like to eat out, and coconut oil is replacing the cooking oils used in restaurants these days (note that restaurant coconut oil isn’t the extra virgin coconut oil that pro-coconut folks advocate).

What the Studies Show
    Studies released over the past 25 years show an overall pattern that coconut oil increases the risk for heart disease (check out this summary of studies for yourself). Just because a handful of studies show slightly different results doesn’t mean it’s a green light to throw years of research out the window.

The Recommendations
    Since coconut oil is already in many packaged and restaurant foods, you shouldn’t use it as your cooking oil, too — especially if you have heart disease or it runs in the family. Stick to unsaturated oils such as olive, canola, peanut or walnut. But even use those sparingly (remember: all oils have about 120 calories per tablespoon). Save coconut oil for special dishes that you love to cook once in a while. If you still want to use it, replace other highly saturated fat foods such as butter and whole milk with extra virgin coconut oil, and be mindful to not go over 10% of your total calories. Avoid refined and hydrogenated versions, which have trans fats.

It's one of the worst plant based oils out there. 92% saturated fat! I'll stick with my EVOO. The other uses are very interesting though.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    hpsnickers1: Thanks for the info. It's always really important to look at all sides!

I rarely eat out or eat anything pre-packaged so I think I'm going to stick with coconut oil for cooking. :)

And, to be clear, I'm not advocating consuming buckets of coconut oil (or any oil!) on a daily basis. However, it is a good, healthy alternative to other products.

I will continue to investigate the pros and cons while maintaining my current uses and will switch it up wherever necessary. Thanks again for the info!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I use it religiously in my hair and all over my skin! LOVE it! Since I never use use any oil for most cooking I haven't yet gotten to try it otherwise. I've been interested to see if anyone has had experience with weight loss with it though as I know they sell the capsules.

BTW-Thanks for posting your blog! Lots of info I didn't know! I love popcorn and that will be the first thing I will try with my coconut oil:-)

Let me know how it turns out. Stove top popcorn is so amazing!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I bought some when my son had a horrible diaper rash and it worked great for that but I wasnt sure how to use the rest. (I put some into a separate container for his rash....will not use that for food just to be clear lol)

haha! I know, I always have to say the same thing when I mention keeping it in the bathroom. Like, "Let's be clear here...I don't run to the bathroom for a scoop of coconut oil for my popcorn." hhaha GROSS!

Separate containers. :)
  • McKayMachina
    Options

I shop at Albertson's and they only have one kind. I'm going to check out some other local natural and health stores. Online is always an option, too!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i got my Nutiva cold-press extra virgin coconut oil from Amazon.com and i LOVE it. I use it on my hands sometimes and then i am like obsessed smelling them lol :laugh: Another great use for it is on the rare occasion that i eat pancakes i will use just a tiny bit on my old cast iron skillet to keep the pancakes from sticking... it lends a great aroma and hint of coconut flavor which works VERY well with the buttermilk/blueberry/banana pancakes that i LOVE... i can even eat them without syrup and thats saying something! LOL

I tried using a bit while stir-frying some veggies & chicken and that worked well, in part because i was doing terriyaki or some sort of sweet stir fry sauce like that (can't quite recall which sauce i used)...

Anyhoo, just wanted to pass along the tip that Amazon has it :)