Limited budget and Healthy eating????

Options
13»

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This may go without saying, but own brands are brilliant. Look for the ugliest packaging possible (they make it ugly because they want people to buy one of the more expensive options), and read the labels. You may be pleasantly surprised. In the UK, Tesco's own-brand Special Flakes cereal is better for you than lots of other fortified cereals, for instance.
  • jptmemphis
    jptmemphis Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cut the meats and cheeses in half. Lose the bread altogether. Double the veggies. On total, your budget just got better.
  • milissiaharriel
    Options
    I can relate to your situation. I am a divorced mother of two and yes its hard being a single mother on budget. Frozen vegetables is cheaper and better thatn canned vegetables. Chicken is also great with out the skin. Eventhough counting calories is a pain in the *kitten*, IT HELPS. As long as you stay within your caloric goal per day, you can lose the weight.

5394289.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'm there with ya! no kids, but we're definitely on a limited budget. i'm a social worker and my hubby is in grad school...so yeah.

things that have helped us include generic EVERYTHING. there are things i won't buy generic (i'm loyal to Heinz ketchup, for example) but they are the things that tend to last longer. also, buying in bulk - dried beans, rice, etc. i love the farmer's market idea, and i stock up on frozen veggies when they go on sale. lowfat yogurt, etc.

what about baking your own bread? that may not be feasible if you don't have time, but it could be cheaper in the long run. we try to avoid precut vegetables and stuff...why not just buy carrots and slice them up yourself?

when i was in grad school and living off like, 100 bucks a month for groceries, i ate a LOT of tuna, rice, and beans.
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    We are in the same boat. Just make sure I watch my portions, if I'm eating somethin not so healthy!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 60lbs and My budget is very limited. I shop like we are poor because my hubby's work can really vary. And I buy what is cheap. I focus on trying to get Chicken and Fish in bulk packs, and lots and lots of frozen veggies because they are just as nutritiuos but last longer and that way you aren't throwing out a bunch of them. And also, When you shop at walmart... they have their cheaper bread out for about 1.79, but if you look near where they keep the Na'an Bread you can find loaves that are only 1.49.