thyroid problems...help!!!

Options
So I have a Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which I know sounds complicated but it's basically a form of hypothyroidism. This basically means that my thyroid gland isn't working as good as it should. I haven't been put on any medications yet but doctor said I probably would next time I get a blood test. Basically all this means is that it will be harder to lose weight and my metabolism will be slower. So I know that fitness pal gives you the calories you regularly burn just sitting around and I dont know if that would be the same for me. I don't know exactly how much my thyroid condition would affect how many calories I burn naturally without doing anything. So if anyone else has any similiar thyroid conditions and has any suggestions or information that might be helpful would be great. Also, if anyone knows of any foods that help speed up metabolism would be great also.

Thanks

Tab

Replies

• cocoavery20
    Options
    Spices such as cinnamon, ginger, chili peppers, grape fruit (best one), and most important cut sugar out completely.
    I have the same problem, I can gain weight in a matter of 24hours without an issue, losing it sucks though.
  • RWeaver08
    RWeaver08 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid problems as well. I got them after having my daughter. I follow the calories that they site set for me and I have lost 8.2 pounds so far. It's good to walk if you can that helps with the burning calories. If you work out in the morning that helps boost your metabolism and make sure to eat breakfast (that's the part I hate the most). I was put on my medicine but it had steroids in it and I wasn't losing anything. I was gaining. I stopped taking mine but that is no reason for you to not take yours. Do what you know is best for you. The doctor can tell you some foods to eat that will help. It takes a while to lose weight when you have this condition but it WILL happen. Good luck to you!!!!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid, and once I got on a natural medication and my numbers returned to normal I was able to lose weight just fine. Not saying it's as easy, but from what I do understand once the medication gets your numbers to a normal level, then your calorie burn is the same as someone with a properly functioning thyroid. There is a good book on the subject out there called "Stop the Thyroid Madness", I highly recommend it.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Thyroid-Madness-Revolution-Treatment/dp/0615144314
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I'm very familiar with Hashimoto's - hell, most thyroid problems. I would push for a blood draw and get your results ASAP. The faster you get your meds regulated, the better you'll feel. As far as calories go, I would say leave it alone. If you're getting your thyroid corrected via supplements, it should even out soon enough, and you certainly don't want to starve your body.

As far as the burning... that's where it gets a little funky. Lower thyroid generally means your metabolism WILL be slower. It DOESN'T mean you can't burn fat, it just means it takes a little longer. There aren't really foods out there that will boost your metabolism, but eating correctly will. You'll need to eat SMALL portions every two hours, beginning within 45 minutes of waking up in the morning, to keep your metabolism at a burning rate. I KNOW how this sounds - I wanted to slap my trainer when she told me this. And I felt like a PIG eating every two hours. But let me tell you... I'm losing serious weight, and gaining serious lean muscle doing it. It will also help your energy levels, which are most likely feeling pretty depleted right about now, as well as replacing the protein you're losing (hair loss? brittle nails?). If you can, try it. Feel free to look at my recent diet chart.

As far as the thyroid - keep an eye on it. If you don't feel right, don't be afraid to tell your doctor. It takes time to get used to the hormone and to get the dosing right. You just keep working hard and eating right, and your body will respond. I promise! Good luck!
  • Nixb19
    Nixb19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey,

My first suggestion is get on the meds as soon as you can. Usually if you are not on them, you will almost have a wasted attempt at losing weight. Also, the unfortunate thing is, we with thyroid problems have no way of knowing what our resting caloric burn is, so throw those tests and such out the window. Once you have the meds that they to give you the hormones back, you'll be somewhat "normal" but yes the weight will be hard to lose. Also, stay away from soy products and carbs. I bought the book The Thyroid Diet, it gives you some general idea of what are good and bad food.
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't have what you have, but have a tyroid condition as well. I started on meds like 45 days ago and at least I have some energy to get out an exercise. I have lost 5 lbs (only really been trying last 2 weeks), but in the past would not loose 1 lb for NOTHING.

I have to remind myself that I need to use patience and focus on what I need to eat and do to make this work in the long run.

It's gonna be a long road, but hopefully you will feel better soon.

I'm gonna friend you :_)
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    Iodine such as that found in kelp " california roll sushi" Selenium such as that found in eggs help your throid boost metabo. I've been hypo for 14yrs and losing weight been a struggle. But on the good side by losing the weight they been reducing my meds as well. Although I gained a ton when I got put on them.
  • indnile321
    indnile321 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've had my thyroid radiated TWICE!!! It started out overactive (graves) but, now I have no thyroid function at all (since radiation). I take thyroid replacement hormone every day. The good news is it can be regulated. The bad news is it usually takes awhile. I'm also a type 1 insulin dependant diabetic (just to add to the mess). Just read all the info you can about it--there is a ton out there. Your thyroid affects so much more than just your metabolism. Body temp, fertility, mood swings ect.... However, it is a metabolic disorder. But, so is diabetes. So, I have two working against each other. I'm not going to lie to you. It is HARDER. But, it is not IMPOSSIBLE! You will probably get it checked by blood testing for the rest of your life. Find a good doctor who will work with you. Good Luck!
  • FitCoachBecky
    Options
    In addition to what others have said, I'd recommend getting into some high-intensity workouts to build muscle and boost your metabolism. Also, drinking lots of water, eating more protein and fiber and eating 5 small meals a day will help your metabolism out.

I've got a really active message board going that's full of women who want to help motivate each other to get fit. If you're interested, check it out at http://teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/99470085?_19_delta=20&_19_keywords=&_19_advancedSearch=false&_19_andOperator=true&cur=4

Good luck on your journey!
  • Tabbycat4567
    Options
    hi,
    Thanks for the advice. The doctor said I had to wait till April to get another blood test because I was borderline before to get put on medications. So hopefully I can discuss with my doctor about nutrition and getting put on medication.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    If you have to wait, I'd see about getting on a decent diet now - it takes some time to get used to if you aren't already. And I agree with earlier posts that when you work out, concentrate on building muscle now, so that when your thyroid finally levels out, the fat will come off that much quicker. Way to be on top of this, though!
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    If you have to wait, I'd see about getting on a decent diet now - it takes some time to get used to if you aren't already. And I agree with earlier posts that when you work out, concentrate on building muscle now, so that when your thyroid finally levels out, the fat will come off that much quicker. Way to be on top of this, though!
  • utah_angel1971
    Options
    im with you you on this. have 2 things going against me. i have PCOS and extremely low, almst non existant thyroid. Both conditions that make it impossible to lose weight! Once i got on medication, i was amazed at my energy level.i cant i imagine how i functioned without it now that i have the energy. So i work out more now. Yes it will be extremely difficult for you to lose weight. Once you do get your hormone levels regulated, trust me, you'll start to notice a difference. The other thingi HAVE noticed is yes, its true. Eat 6 small meals a day. Your 3 major meals, and 3 small meals/snacks between. When i do this, i have more energy, i can go longer, and i have better luck with the scales.
    Good luck
  • JMatGam
    JMatGam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and was just diagnosed in January, but realized after the diagnosis, that I've had the symptoms for years. I agree, demand another blood test. If you are hypo, you should be on the meds. My antibodies are > 970 (they should be 9) and my TSH levels were 105. After my last round of tests, my TSH dropped to 5, but that's still too high because I'm still symptomatic. My endo doesn't think he should adjust my meds. This is why a second opinion is necessary! You may be borderline, but that's obviously still too high for you. Once you're on the meds and regulated, you should be able to maintain your weight once you get to your goal weight.
    Bear in mind that you may have intolerances to certain foods because Hashimoto's can cause digestive problems too.