Any ideas for mini snack suggestions between meals

Options
I struggle with finding healthy snacks to help me thru the day. Last week I took carrots and chopped apples. I get bored eating the same thing. I know me, and for this next week i don't want to get bored and eat a bag of chips. Any suggestions of quick snacks I can prepare at home and bring to work? I'm open for new recipe ideas. I need help!

Replies

• Paigealicious77
    Paigealicious77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on cashews and the nutrigrain peanut butter crunch bars!! They also are a natural energy booster!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like Special K 90 calorie bars
    I cut up melons and bring a bowl with me.
    yogurt is always good
    grapes
    oatmeal
    Strawberries are really yummy and low calorie and good for you!
  • pumina
    pumina Posts: 13
    Options
    I keep fiber one bars everywhere - car, purse, laptop bag...Eat one of those with a bottle of water and you'll be full for a long time. The best part is, regardless of calories or nutrition, I think they are he BEST bars out there taste wise! Good luck!
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I enjoy almonds or yoplait light yogurt :)
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I bring a ton of food to work. It will take sometime for your body to get used to it. Apples are amazing for a snack. - For snacks I bring:

Grapes (x20)
    Apple
    Orange
    Strawberries (x3-4)
    (Extra: Parfait, I prefer strawberry - 250cal as this normally serves as a meal)

And all that food only equals up to about 134cal - that's low for so much food! I also recently found out that beef jerky is awesome for eating if you find yourself in a rut, super hungry and nothing else to eat. It keeps you chewing for a long time and makes you feel more full.

Best of luck! ^_^
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Yogurt, Celery with peanut butter or hummus, a granola bar, hard boiled egg, grapes, string cheese
  • brandi16
    brandi16 Posts: 56
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt, Kellogs Fiber Plus bars, or cottage cheese with fruit for a snack...but if you are looking for sweets to snack on, try Sugar Free Jello. Each serving is only 10 calories...add Fat Free Whipped Topping for 15 calories. Or, if you want something to fill you up, try the INSTANT Jello pudding with or without the whipped topping...more calories but still super low!! Good luck!!
  • cokpara
    cokpara Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a snack person AND a vegetarian so I'm always trying to find new snacks that are tasty and that can hold me over...

-i LOVE cottage cheese doubles (i know cottage cheese is an acquired taste bc of the texture... worked myself up to loving that gradually)
    -edamame (soy-based protein beans, the kind that you get at an asian restaurant or sushi bar... you can get these from costco, they're peggy's premium edamame)...
    -fruits fruits fruits, love them (grapes, apples, oranges, bananas-only half bc of sugar content etc.)
    -sometimes if i'm craving salty, i'll do the 100 calorie snacks or make a sandwich on the 100 cal orowheat thin bread
    -string cheese

just some ideas... but you should look online to find quick healthy snacks and also through some of the other message boards... i've learned alot from people on mfp also just googling ideas. hope this helps a little!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Low-fat smoothies are great while on the go

Meal replacement shakes, protein shakes...

PopChips are fantastic if you must have chips on any given day.

Low-fat yogurt with a bit of dry Kashi Go Lean cereal (it's the only way I can eat yogurt)

Fresh fruits. I'm a fan of Navel oranges, as I don't have to worry about seeds.

Fig Newton's Apple Cinnamon Crisps...2 per pack and only 100 cals. Kinda taste like a thin McD apple pie!
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Love the fiber one AND the fiber plus bars... 140 calories (depending on the flavor) of yummy chocolate and fiber!!! Fiber plus just came out with a new flavor (caramel, chocolate and coconut). If you like the Samoa Girl Scout cookies, these make a reasonable substitute for a lot less damage!!!

I also like goldfish crackers (flavor blasted cheddar), pretzels with peanut butter, almonds, bananas, watermelon (when I can get it), vita top muffins (another great chocolate fix), and dry cereals (cheerios, frosted mini-wheats, etc.)
  • ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    Special K 90cal Bars are my GO TO snack! And there are soooo mayn different options.. :love:
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I like to snack on almonds (raw, whole, unsalted)...only a 1/4 cup (approximately 28 whole almonds). Yes, they are high in fat but the fat is a good fat and they fill me up in between meals and tides me over. With my exercise, I allow myself 3 servings a day.
  • timetripper42
    Options
    all types of fruits and most raw vegetables as well quarter cup of almonds cashews unsalted is best
  • rdp1971
    rdp1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Raw celery, baby cut carrots, broccoli or peppers (yellow, green or red).
    Raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, apple or can of 100 cal fruit
    Fiber bars
    100 cal snacks
    Walnuts, almonds
  • hezzie7
    hezzie7 Posts: 8
    Options
    Carrots and apples have VERY high glycemic counts so will burn through that sugar and you will be hungry right away. Switch to higher fiber foods. Use your handful of almonds instead and drink water when you eat them. Kelloggs Bran Bars help take that "I could eat a cow" feeling away as well and are only 130 calories. You might not be getting enough protein to start your day. Get a good whey protein powder and make a smoothie for breakfast. That protein start is what really helps. REMEMBER - no eating after 7 pm either.
  • casseh
    casseh Posts: 58
    Options
    Dry cereals
    Unsalted & unbuttered popcorn
    Low fat flavoured tuna
    rice cakes with vegimite or low fat Philadelphia (the flavoured ones are great)
    cottage cheese (prefer the one with chives or gherkin)
    A tomato cut in half with a little salt and pepper
  • ccrooks782
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, there were some good ideas suggested that i will try. i.e protein bars, hummas, dry ceral, higher fiber foods. i'm making my grocery shopping list now. thanks all very helpful.