Running Help!

Options
Hello!

I've recently began running in order to get more fit. I run every other day, and try to push myself to do more each time. However, it seems like I've hit a wall and I've only been at it for 3 weeks! On the treadmill/elliptical machine I can run for miles and miles, but running on the concrete has made me use new muscles and each time I'm done, I get extremely sore. The first week I could only run .3 miles, but now I'm up to a whole mile and I have been there for a while now. My sister has been training with me and now has to leave me in the dust because of how behind I am. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have just started running. So not sure but, have you read some articles on form? It says that form is very important. Good luck and I'm sure someone with more experience will have more information. :)
  • Boxer_Chick
    Options
    Probably not. I think we all have our own natural pace when we run. If you're running for exercise listen to your body and eventually you'll find your own groove.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am hitting the same roadblock, so I'm also interested in the answers here. I tried to transition my indoor running workout (Wii Fit Free Run) to outside, and it was awful!

Looking for advice from other runners who have been there before. . .
  • jaysp87
    jaysp87 Posts: 32
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is actually less of an impact than running on concrete. A treadmill is "padded" to take some of the blow off your leg and body. Running on concrete is terrible for you. Can you run on a track? Maybe at a local high school or college?That is padded. Or on grass? The issue with running on grass is you can't see any holes so you could roll an ankle.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    Are you doing some kind of strenght training in addition to running ?

When I started running last year I started having calf and knees pain after a few weeks so I decided to increase lower body strenght training and concentrated on getting stronger quads and hamstrings. It really helped ! This and making sure I take time to warm up, cooled down and strech properly after each run, no matter how long or how short the run is.

But most important: listen to your body ! Drink lots and lots of water and if you are still sore from your last run, skip that day and get the rest your muscles need.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    have you got good running shoes? you need really good ones to absorb the impact if you're running outside on pavements/roads.
    It is always harder outside than on a treadmill - you work harder on an uneven surface plus if it's windy that can make it harder too.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Last year I averaged 15-20 miles a week. This year I'm averaging 5-8 miles a week. I've struggled with shin splints and now I've found a shoes that works for me. I learned with the right shoe and increasing my distance/time slowly has helped. I stretch before and after each run even if it's a small .5 to 1 mile run. If I'm sore I ice usually my shins or knees. I've been stuck using the treadmill due to weather but hope to increase once I can get on track outdoors. When I'm following a training schedule for a race I try to run 3-4 times a week. I find I personally do better if I run 3 times and give enough time to rest. If I push too hard and don't get in rest days with running my shin splints bother me and I don't get in a good run. Everyone runs at their own pace don't give up you're done great sticking with it this far!
  • laurennn16
    Options
    There is a huge difference between running outside and running inside. I can run further and faster inside. I would suggest just slowly working your way up. Maybe do interval training, where you run really fast for a minute, then a normal run for a minute or two and repeat 5x. Also instead of thinking about it through miles, just add 5 minutes to your run every week or something of the sort. You just want to make sure you are doing it gradually so you don't get sore. And if you plan on doing most of your running outdoors now to get your feet fitted for proper running shoes, since that greatly help with some of the pains from running.
    Otherwise it is completely normal to not be able to run as far outside as you can inside. Hopefully some of this helps!
    Oh, and when I was having that issue I also used the couch to 5k training plan to help me here and there.
  • Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options
    Not that I'm a big runner, but do you have any crushed gravel running trails near you? I find those to be so much easier on my body than concrete.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink or eat something with protein and carbs within 30 mins after a good run to prevent muscle soreness and aid repair. Even just a small glass of chocolate milk is good. Skimmed milk with a little bit of nesquick or something in it does the job fine, or a small protein shake.
    Dont overdo it to undo all your calorie burning of course, but you should notice less muscle soreness if you do this each time.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    and make sure your running shoes are good and not too old/
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did this to myself last year. I added too much distance to my runs tooo quickly, and ended up overexerting myself and hitting the wall, similar to how you described. I ended up with major knee and shin pain, and ended up quitting exercising for many moths.
    This year I started training smarter.... I am doing the Couch to Five K plan (similar to Jeff Galloway, I believe) and am in week 9 without any problems. I can now run 3 miles straight, or 30 minutes at a time (pushing a jogging stroller) easily. No shin pain, no hurt knees, no soreness, no nothing.
    You might want to check out the Couch to 5K plan, and start at the beginning or in week two.... it adds distances in slowly so as not to injure yourself.
    Good luck!
    ~maddymama
  • artsystacey
    artsystacey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My sister uses those "toe" shoes:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Classic-Womens.htm

She says they are amazing. My shoes just just regular tennis shoes and probably need replacing soon. I'm just a college student about to graduate and I am worried about finances at the moment. But, I suppose health is a good thing to invest in.
  • artsystacey
    Options
    Not that I'm a big runner, but do you have any crushed gravel running trails near you? I find those to be so much easier on my body than concrete.

Thanks for the tip! I would love to run on a trail, but I have something called Dysautonomia and I have to exercise at night. I wouldn't feel to safe on a trail at night...
  • artsystacey
    Options
    Are you doing some kind of strenght training in addition to running ?

When I started running last year I started having calf and knees pain after a few weeks so I decided to increase lower body strenght training and concentrated on getting stronger quads and hamstrings. It really helped ! This and making sure I take time to warm up, cooled down and strech properly after each run, no matter how long or how short the run is.

But most important: listen to your body ! Drink lots and lots of water and if you are still sore from your last run, skip that day and get the rest your muscles need.

I do yoga when I get the chance, and I carry around a 15lb bag everywhere...does that count? Haha! I guess I'll have to try to step up my game in that area then! Thanks for the tip. :)
  • artsystacey
    Options
    Hi,
    I did this to myself last year. I added too much distance to my runs tooo quickly, and ended up overexerting myself and hitting the wall, similar to how you described. I ended up with major knee and shin pain, and ended up quitting exercising for many moths.
    This year I started training smarter.... I am doing the Couch to Five K plan (similar to Jeff Galloway, I believe) and am in week 9 without any problems. I can now run 3 miles straight, or 30 minutes at a time (pushing a jogging stroller) easily. No shin pain, no hurt knees, no soreness, no nothing.
    You might want to check out the Couch to 5K plan, and start at the beginning or in week two.... it adds distances in slowly so as not to injure yourself.
    Good luck!
    ~maddymama

Thanks! I've actually looked into the couch to 5k plan before and ended up over extending myself and quitting! I wanted to "stay on track" with the program and was stubborn.
  • artsystacey
    Options
    make sure you drink or eat something with protein and carbs within 30 mins after a good run to prevent muscle soreness and aid repair. Even just a small glass of chocolate milk is good. Skimmed milk with a little bit of nesquick or something in it does the job fine, or a small protein shake.
    Dont overdo it to undo all your calorie burning of course, but you should notice less muscle soreness if you do this each time.

Thanks! I usually do something like that naturally. I'm just afraid of adding back all the calories I just burned because I can only run a mile, which translates out to about only 165 calories. :(
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options

Thanks for the tip! I would love to run on a trail, but I have something called Dysautonomia and I have to exercise at night. I wouldn't feel to safe on a trail at night...

Running on crushed gravel or dirt is much better for you and much easier on your body. Do you have gym that has a track that you could run on at night, or even a high school that lets people use their track? I know that where I live a lot of people use the track at the high school and they leave the lights on in the evening and there are always people around so it's pretty safe.
  • artsystacey
    Options
    There is a huge difference between running outside and running inside. I can run further and faster inside. I would suggest just slowly working your way up. Maybe do interval training, where you run really fast for a minute, then a normal run for a minute or two and repeat 5x. Also instead of thinking about it through miles, just add 5 minutes to your run every week or something of the sort. You just want to make sure you are doing it gradually so you don't get sore. And if you plan on doing most of your running outdoors now to get your feet fitted for proper running shoes, since that greatly help with some of the pains from running.
    Otherwise it is completely normal to not be able to run as far outside as you can inside. Hopefully some of this helps!
    Oh, and when I was having that issue I also used the couch to 5k training plan to help me here and there.

Thanks! I probably will look into getting different shoes now. I think mine are a bit worn out and not built for running outdoors. I'll try the interval training as well...that seems to be more my style. I liked running with my sister side by side though. :(