Epidural=Back Problems?

Options
I woke up two days ago with a killer backache...right in the small of my back, it feels like someone is stabbing me and twisting the knife. I had an epidural when I gave birth to my youngest child, and ever since then I have had horrible backaches that come on suddenly and don't want to let go. I'm trying to keep up with my workout every day, but some exercises are hard to do because I hurt.:frown:
Anyone else had problems like this?

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I woke up two days ago with a killer backache...right in the small of my back, it feels like someone is stabbing me and twisting the knife. I had an epidural when I gave birth to my youngest child, and ever since then I have had horrible backaches that come on suddenly and don't want to let go. I'm trying to keep up with my workout every day, but some exercises are hard to do because I hurt.:frown:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I have never had any problems because of an epidural. I have a bad back though because I fell out of a tree when I was a kid and hurt it. You should have it checked out then just to make sure there is no fluid or anything built up back there. I dont really know what could be wrong with it.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    how long ago was the birth? I had a few problems for the first two months after my twins were born, but it finally went away.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I would try a chiropractor. You could have a spot in your back that is out and catching a nerve. It might have something to do with your epidural, but it could just be an alignment problem that occurred while you were pregnant or delivering. I couldn't live with out the occational chiropractor tune up.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    my son was born in march 07 and i had an epidural with him, and still to this day i have back problems. they had put the epi in wrong, and ended up having to do it twice so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

because of all the problems the epi caused me, when i had my daughter in june 08 i decided not to use it
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have had no problems with mine, but hubby says he has from a past spinal block. GO TO A DOCTOR!! If it is something else, you will be able to treat it. If it is from the epi, you can treat it.....
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, never really thought of it. I've always had lower back issues...and I do itch sometimes where the epidural went in...but I can't say that it has contributed to additional back paing.

On a side topic.....I still get little jolting like pains in my c-section scar. Not horrible and doesn't last long. It's almost been 2 years.
  • johmapri
    Options
    my son was born in march 07 and i had an epidural with him, and still to this day i have back problems. they had put the epi in wrong, and ended up having to do it twice so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

because of all the problems the epi caused me, when i had my daughter in june 08 i decided not to use it

I had the same thing happen to me. My twins were born in 1999 and they messed up the first epidural try, had to do it again, and ever since then my back has never been the same! The same with my c-section, every once in awhile it still hurts.... :ohwell:

68450.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    My step mom has the same thing! And she also blames it on the epidural. :grumble: :noway: Of course, I just tell her that it's mi sister's way of getting even, muyhahahaha!!! But seriously, good luck sweetie.:flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

does the pain go down your leg as well if sothat could be a sciatica problem (not spelled right)- I used to have those problems when I was pregnant (which is common) but also when I was how i like to say a moo cow-- 30lbs heavier--

now if its because of the epidural it would be higher up in your back not in the small of your back because the epidural is up higher well at least mine wasnt in the small of my back-- hope you feel better try the heat packs that stick to your back they work great especially if it might be muscle pain- and try some stretching or sleeping another way- go see a chiropractor
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

1 more thing- when you lose alot of weight your body kind of gets out of wack with being out of alignment from carrying a body of a certain size then losing weight and being lighter-- just a thought I saw that you already lost 26lbs your body might be unaligned- it can do it on its own but you could also see a chiro to get the job done in meetings
  • ChristiDawn79
    Options
    Mine was over 7 years ago and my back still hurts when sitting for a long time. I thought it would go away with time, but it never did.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, never really thought of it. I've always had lower back issues...and I do itch sometimes where the epidural went in...but I can't say that it has contributed to additional back paing.

On a side topic.....I still get little jolting like pains in my c-section scar. Not horrible and doesn't last long. It's almost been 2 years.

Tam, I had that same feeling for about 4 years, then it went away all together. The doctor said nerves take 2-4 years to grow back, and that shot is the nerves rejueventating (sp?)
    :heart: Jeannie