Calcium rich, low calorie food?

Options
I just ran a report to show my last month of nutrients, and noticed my calcium intake is extremely low. Does anyone have any food ideas that are high in calcium, but low in calories?
Thanks!

Replies

• djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I try to track my calcium also, if you want to look at my diary for ideas. Basically low fat yogurt, oatmeal and a surprise is cinnamon.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of dairy but I am getting my calcium from dark greens such as brocoli!
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    I eat the Viactiv calcium chews. They are 20 calories. 500mg of calcium. Also it has Vit D. (but it's made with hydrogenated oil, so that's a bummer, but a small amount like that won't kill me, i hope!)
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Plain nonfat greek yogurt
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Collard Greens
    Soybeans
    Sardines
    Canned Salmon
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Spinach
    collard greens
    basil
    cinnamon
    swiss chard
    kale
    goats milk
    romaine lettuce
    celery
    sesame seeds
    cabbage
    broccoli
    green beans
    summer squash
    garlic
    tofu
    brussles sprouts
    oranges
    asparagus
    crimini mushrooms
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I'm really suprised no one has mentioned strawberries!! One cup of fresh strawberries is over 50mg Calcium!
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've worked in soy yoghurt and a bit more soy milk into my diet, and my cereal is pretty high in calcium. However on days when I haven't planned as well, or I really cbf with the yoghurt (I don't really like it), I just take a bone density supplement. It has calcium and vitamin d (which helps your body to absorb calcium) in it. It's better to space out your calcium as well because your body can only absorb I think 500mg at once.

here is a link with a table of dairy and non dairy foods high in calcium: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t040600.asp
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I make sure to get lots of calcium through skim milk, low cal cheese (like skim mozzarella string cheese), chobani yogurt, and cottage cheese. Leafy greens are also great!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    almond breeze unsweetened original almond milk! 80z 40 cals and 30% of your daily calcium
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I make sure to get lots of calcium through skim milk, low cal cheese (like skim mozzarella string cheese), chobani yogurt, and cottage cheese. Leafy greens are also great!

Dark rich coloured, esp dark leafy greens, are actually a better source of calcium for your body than diary products. This is because to digest the proteins in dairy and meat, your body leaches calcium from your bones to help the digestion, thus decreasing your body's calcium levels. The dark leafy greens don't do this, they provide your body with more Calcium.
  • LindaWarner17
    LindaWarner17 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am also a huge fan of unsweetened almond milk. Almost every morning I have a bowl of Total cereal, which has 100% of many of the vitamins and minerals we need including calcium, with almond milk and it is a tiny 140 calories :happy: A great way to make sure you are covering your nutritional bases right away in the morning!
  • kgorm001
    kgorm001 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! This is great. I'm very surprised by the cinnamon and did not realize (or recall) our bodies take the calcium from our bones to digest dairy. WONDERFUL suggestions.