you'd be pretty, if you were skinny, well this is for me

Options
story of my whole life. i have struggled with being overweight my whole life. I am 5'7 and 225. In high school i was a cheerleader and 130. i loved life! then my best friend died in high school and i let go. I ballooned in 4 years to my 225 self. People have told me my whole life that i had a pretty face but if i was skinny i'd be prettier. i felt like i kept getting dates so i obviously must not be that bad, and really haven't had too bad of self esteem, except when you have the dreaded clothes shopping trip. I got married this February to the love of my life who knew me high school and thought i looked great then and loves me as i am now. we recently talked about having children and i thought "wow, i can't clean the house without being horrible out of breath and sweaty now , how can i raise kids?" in addition to this, i went shopping and bought my first pair of 16 jeans! it felt awful :( i got home and was talking to a friend who had been going through the same thing. she told me she started working out and eating right and was down by 20 lbs! she looked amazing! it took some convincing... and seeing my friend loose 50 lbs and looking smoking hot that i realized i didn't need to look good for other people, but for me. She looked sooo pretty because she was happy and healthy! you don't have to pick one or the other. I want to obviously look good, but also be healthy. and dang it... i am pretty now, i am just improving on me :)

Replies

• shug458
    shug458 Posts: 99
    Options
    I wish you lots and lots of luck! MFP is an amazing sight and as long as your doing this for YOU then that is all you need! the comments you've heard are just mean and not necessary. Following this sight has made a world of difference so I welcome you :)
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    Great thought process! Good luck with your journey! This is a great place to get on track and stay there!
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! You're in the right place to get some much needed help and support along the way. Good luck on your journey!
  • ContinuousEffort
    Options
    Wow! Awesome post! You are inspiring. I love what you have to say!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You will be successful as long as you do it for the right reasons - anything that improves YOUR life. You can weigh 125 lbs and be a supermodel but if you have a crappy attitude, then you're still an a-hole like anyone who tells you you'd be pretty if you lost weight. Enjoy your life, be healthy, and although it won't lead to perfection, there will always be ups and downs no matter what you weigh - being proud of yourself and your accomplishments always makes it a little easier and worthwhile.

Good luck!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it! =)
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Aw honey, you are right!!! You are beautiful no matter what! I feel the same way and beat up on myself so easily for "looking" (ie:feeling) so horrible about "me". I also have a wonderful man that loves me the way I am and is always telling me how beautiful I am or making comments about my butt....you know how guys are. But you know what, us ladies need that. =) The thing that is tough is that if WE don't see ourselves beautiful it totally reflects on how beautiful others see us. Recently there was a blog on here from a gentleman who posted about his wife and the "moment" he fell in love with her. He was completely focused on her confidence. (Such a sweet story) But the long story short of my point is, you said it......YOU HAVE TO WANT IT FOR YOU. When you start to do it you WILL (I promise) feel better and it will SHINE through you. I can only say this with a "promise" because I've been up and down in my 37 years. I want to feel good again as well, I want to not feel uncomfortable when my boyfriend puts his hands on my while we are sitting on the couch and I pull his hand away because I don't want him to feel my "ugly".....haha
    DO this for you, you are beautiful and are very blessed to have a wonderful husband and I'm sorry for your tragic loss but you can rise above this and be a happy beautiful vibrant young lady.
    All the best to you!
    Add me if you wish = )
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I have always had a saying... "I'd rather be a but-her-face than a but-her-body" Referring to the not to nice term "butter face/ but-her-face" that guys use to explain a smokin' hot woman with an ugly face! I'm the exact opposite.... or people will say "wow you have the perfect hour glass, imagine how good you would look if you lost 100lbs or so"

That being said, you can do it! I have a 2 year old daughter whom I'm trying to set an example for.
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow,
    You sound like things have gotten back on track and you have such a great outlook on life!

You will make it !

Let's all do this together!
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Its how YOU feel that matters! I know I feel better at 130 (im short 5 1 so thats a good weight for me), so eat healthy and exercise, dont think about the scale so much! Good luck on your journey!
  • tinman1222
    Options
    You sound like an amazing person. I am so happy that you have found mfp. good luck on your new fitness journey ;)
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was an inspiring post, thank you! I know I didnt originate this topic but your post made me feel better too! Thank you :)
  • Mutsie
    Mutsie Posts: 15
    Options
    Great post! You go girl! My thoughts exactly. I'm sure you will reach your goals. Best of luck to you!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! And you are pretty and you don't need to be skinny!!! Be healthy, you're on the right track, good luck!!!!
  • akmcfarland
    Options
    wow! thanks for the support everyone! it seriously made me tear up! i would love if you add me as friends and i'll seek you out too and we can share each others journeys! p.s. i put yummmy low cal low fat super delicious recipes on here that have already helped me loose almost 10 lbs already!!! love to hear from you and keep up the good work!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome. u sound like u have a fab attitude already and mfp is great for motivation. good luck on your journey :)
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    I love your post.

We have some things in common.

I would really enjoy seeing pictures of you on your farm ! Please add them to your profile :) I'm a city slicker now but grew up many years on a farm. farm work is good for ya !

Good job getting fit for the kids -- greta idea. They do take a LOT of energy. I took my twins to the zoo yesterday and boy did they wear me out ;)

Good luck ! I'm rooting for you !

Michele
  • nmunson4
    nmunson4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    awww, andrea! I love you, you're going to do amazing!!!!!!!