How to lose weight from your thighs?

Options
I've found that throughout my weight loss so far, it has shifted from my abdominal area and my face appears to look slimmer, but my thighs and my gut seem to remain the same size.
The exercises I tend to do are running for half an hour per day and then half an hour on the exercise bike. I really can't make time to join any classes or swim regularly.
Does anybody have any good tips on how to shift weight from my thighs? Where in my exercise routine am I going wrong?
Thanks.

Replies

• ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have heard from others that you need to run run run! I am not a runner though so I am not much help!
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    no way to lose in one area. cutting body fat is only way
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My biggest lost has been my thighs. I used to have those saddle bags, but now my pants are really loose in that area. Since I have a bad knee, most of my exercise is with the recumbant bike. I'd say keep doing what you're doing and it will happen.
  • zer0vital
    zer0vital Posts: 42
    Options
    Doing a little resistance training might help you build the muscle you need to burn more fat., and prevent you from losing too much lean muscle mass doing all that cardio. As for "spot reducing," my understanding is that it is not a very realistic goal, and may end up being counterproductive. Focus on your body's complete health and your thighs will have no choice but to follow eventually!
  • gumby101ca
    gumby101ca Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    from what i have heard is that you cant target fat loss in certain areas, fat comes of in sheets.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As stated there is no way to spot reduce. I would suggest looking into switching your workouts to High Intensity Interval Training. It is a proven fat burner, and will burn far more fat than cardio and long duration running. You can even do it running. A version of it which works even better, is Metabolic Resistance Training http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner/view/metabolic-resistance-training-86959 It is by far the best fat burner. When it comes down to it you need to burn off the fat. Where is comes from originally is wherever your body chooses, but eventually you will lose it from your thighs as well. What you want to do for now is maximize fat loss.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I wish that there was a way to just lose weight where we want :) But fat comes off where it wants to come off, so just keep at it and eventually those areas will have to catch up sooner or later.
  • TeaFTB
    TeaFTB Posts: 2
    Options
    There are 2 main components in fat/weight loss:
    1. Nutrition
    2. Exercise

For me personally, the only diet that ever worked is Dukan Diet. It's high protein diet which minimizes intake of fat and carbs. It has 4 phases and results are visible already in first few days, which gives you great boost and motivation. I recommend you buy a book (it's cheap) as it has great tips, recipes, it gives you motivation and explanations about weight and weight loss. Lots of things start making sense once you read it.

As for exercise - you must perform intensive workouts and push your self as hard as you can. Get a personal trainer, even if only for one day a week or every few weeks. They will keep you on track. There's many great on-line personal training offers as well. Kim Lyons from the Biggest Looser runs on of the programs called Fast Track to Fat Loss. Also check out this thigh workout routine at http://www.firmthighsandbutt.com/fat-and-weight-loss/how-to-get-beach-perfect-thighs-and-perky-butt-in-2-weeks/

Good luck!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    In general, the first place where your body deposits fat is going to be the last place it finally comes off. The only thing you can truly do is cut your overall body fat percentage. If you're like me, you're going to lose it from the hips up first, and then you'll begin to lose it from the hips down. Nothing you can truly do about it, though...we're all built differently.

I have found, as well, that a combination of cardio and strength training does the best job in boosting metabolism and helping cut overall body fat percentage. I used to be a cardio hound, but weight loss was a struggle. Once I started lifting weights 3 days/week (and I mean really lifting weights--none of this 5 pound dumbbell stuff), I started getting great results.
  • TheSkinnyCow
    Options
    I am dealing with this now, but I have noticed in the past that doing pilates and other strength training helps in addition to the cardio. It's certainly not going to make it dissolve, but it sure helps!