Healthy morning shake suggestions???

Options
I work long hours and I would love to make something at home before I head into work. Something that I could drink for the first hour or so at work. I wanna get the fiber, engery, and fruit I need to start my day as simply as possible. I know they make cans of this stuff. But what can I make at home thats healthy and easy?? Also what is the best store bought option as well??

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Dead easy to make a healthy smoothie, using natural yoghurt, some fruit (bananas work well, so do mango and berries) and flavour as desired - cinnamon, honey.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    2 scoops protein powder
    2/3 cup oatmeal
    2tbsp flax seed
    1 scoop vegetable greens powder

You now have a very quick nutritious meal. Complex Carbohydrates, EFA's, Protein, and your Veggies!
  • Luttjl
    Luttjl Posts: 5
    Options
    What does it taste like? Any options for flavoring?
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Make a smoothie - milk or juice, yogurt (plain or flavored), some fruit (frozen or fresh) and add a tbs or two of flax seed meal. Personally, I don't like the flavor of protein shakes, but I know a lot of people do. I usually use fresh or frozen bananas and frozen blueberries or strawberries. You can google smoothies.com for recipes and more ideas.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I drink a product called Shakeology! Its a salad bar in a glass... and comes in 2 flavors - Chocolate and Greenberry. You do have to order it online but it is like no other health shake. It has all the vitamins and minerals you need for the day and more! I have lost 10 pounds using the product and it has increased my energy tremendously!

I can send you info about it - just message me!
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    This morning I had this smoothie:

1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 cup raw chopped strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1 banana
    1 tablespoon raw almond butter

sooooooo tasty!
  • zer0vital
    zer0vital Posts: 42
    Options
    I have an iPhone app that gives me a bunch of recipes for green smoothies. They contain a large amount of leafy greens, and although they do take a little getting used to, they are just as satisfying as a traditional fruit & yogurt smoothie. You can add yogurt, milk, soymilk, or protein powder if you want to (I've done it before). I tend to make what the recipes call for and split it into three servings that I have throughout the day, starting with breakfast. Since there are so many recipes, I don't really get bored (though I have started slacking on making them lately).

The name of the app is Green Smoothies and the proprietors (the Raw family) have a website, so Google them if you're interested.

@dakoeber: Why do I get the overwhelming feeling that you represent Shakeology? Your testimonial reads like an advertisement.
  • PrincessDiannaP
    Options
    I find the Slimfast a quick and easy option for me...I take the Strawberry and Cream ones...add a banana and about 1/2 a cup of ice put it in the blender and you have a quick and easy strawberry banana smoothie...

Good Luck
  • Luttjl
    Luttjl Posts: 5
    Options
    I have an iPhone app that gives me a bunch of recipes for green smoothies. They contain a large amount of leafy greens, and although they do take a little getting used to, they are just as satisfying as a traditional fruit & yogurt smoothie. You can add yogurt, milk, soymilk, or protein powder if you want to (I've done it before). I tend to make what the recipes call for and split it into three servings that I have throughout the day, starting with breakfast. Since there are so many recipes, I don't really get bored (though I have started slacking on making them lately).

The name of the app is Green Smoothies and the proprietors (the Raw family) have a website, so Google them if you're interested.

Great idea about the app thing. Im sure my phone has something for morning shakes. Thanks!
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    What does it taste like? Any options for flavoring?

It will taste mostly like the protein powder that you use.