Depression and Motivation

Options
I'm hard time with depression at the moment and I'm finding my motivation is really low. My food is fine, but I'm having troubles getting out of bed to exercise. When I do go out I have really bad anxiety and start to tear up. I am seeing a doctor about this, but I was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and if so, what has helped you get motivated again.

Thanks.

Replies

• ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i too am suffering with depression and im seeking help for it. Its difficult i know cause you are falling apart inside and you want to be better. Give it time though talk it out with a therapist because they will listen and find the reason for the emotional break down. All i can tell you though is find the time to work out at home if you have anxiety you can stay in for now and dance to music or do a cardio video. It will help to increase the endorphins to make you feel better. Also i have been taking mood enhancers like Sam-E and Saint Johns Wart all natural suppliments to promote a better mood. We go through life and we have different ways of coping with what is put infront of us but believe me with time, day by day you will get a little bit stronger. The first step is to know that you need to seek help and you did so pat yourself on the back because it takes courage to ask for help. Its okay to cry because i do all the time i tear up bad but i let it out and keep moving forward.

I hope the best for you and a speedy recovery to a new and happier you. You deserve to be happy and you will be

Your MFP friend

Chunting
  • kps1104
    kps1104 Posts: 58
    Options
    I am sorry you are dealing with this. I have been in this same situation a few months ago. Although mine was just related to certain things that happened in my life at that time. I was very depressed and didn't want to do much of anything. I didn't even want to go out, and when I did I would just be bummed because I was too anxious to see anyone I knew; I didn't want to see them. Anyways I began to just eat and eat and began to gain weight, which bummed me out even more, since my whole goal was to lose some weight so that I could be happier about my body.
    I finally realized that even though the events that happened to me was what made me depressed; I could still do something about it. I decided it was time for me to just start focusing on myself and do things that would make me feel better...one of which was to exercise to lose and tone up. I must say after a few months and family and friends, I feel much better! I am putting my best foot forward, focusing on my journey and spending and enjoying my time with the people I love. I feel happier and lighter and I am exercising, even when I don't feel like it, I know it will make me feel better in the end :)
    Best of luck!
  • needtoloseweight25
    Options
    I feel u on the depression part. I haven't been in the mood to exercise like I did last week. I have been feeling down cause of a situation with my school. It's great that u both are self aware and taking natural supplements for this. Also, talking to a counselor can help. Once upon a time, I used to do that as well. I am hoping to find the energy to exercise and keep in touch with my friends.
  • tiger87lilly
    tiger87lilly Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with SAD a few years a go. I don't like taking medication so I started high doses (5000 units) of D3. I begin taking it in Dec untill May or June depending on when the sun comes out for longer in a day. This has made a huge difference for me, This year my family and I moved to NH and in Nov I began showing signs of depression but didn't realize it till Dec.

I resently read an article about D3 and all the benefits it has besides help with mood so I am going to continue to take it all year round.

Hope that helps a little. Also in my opinion motivation is word coverup for commitment. I know this is going to sound harsh but you have to look deep down inside and just get up and do it....stop complaining and committ. If you miss a day SO WHAT there's another day tomorrow just keep trying. My pholosphy is if you keep try you can be a quiter.

Good luck
  • lkkyer
    lkkyer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had problems on and off with depression and anxiety for years. I'm having a bit of a hard time myself right now. I understand how hard it is to get motivated. I force myself to go the gym some days, but once I get there blasting my ipod and sweating for an hour or so does wonders.
  • Scrummer
    Scrummer Posts: 3
    Options
    With days where you are struggling for motivation, instead of worrying about getting up to exercise, or anything of the sort, first think of the support you have and people who care. There are many on here who enjoy supporting you, and many friends and family who do the same. By drawing on that, personally I believe it is easier to feel a little motivation when you are feeling down. Once you are then exercising, endorphins can kick in, etc. and you will have an easier time. This is my opinion of course, but hopefully helps in some way.
  • cyutface
    cyutface Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Therapy helps me. Sometimes I just want to go back to bed and shut off the world, but I fight it with everything I can because once you let yourself fall in that hole, it's that much harder to get back. Scrummer is right... our body creates natural Prozac called endorphins- It's a fact. Don't look at exercise at something you "have to do". Try making your reason to exercise to get your "fix" of those "happy" chemicals your body will make.
    Also, be aware of what you do right before you shut down. I know mine is sleep. So, when I feel sleepy and I start thinking of my bed, I will do whatever it takes to stay awake and do anything but sleep. - Mind you, I'm talking about sleeping in the middle of the day. I learned this from therapy. Know your patterns and just try to change a little bit at a time. Hope this helps.