PORRIDGE!!

Options
Is porridge good or bad for you in terms of a weight loss diet?

I have been told to 'cut down' my carbs by many people, so I was just wondering if porridge was an exception!

I usually have it with semi skimmed milk, but if healthier I might start making it with water.

50g porridge oats + 260ml milk/water + either half tspoon syrup or half tspoon sugar or most likely FRUIT on top!

What does everyone think? Qualify as a good breakfast or even lunch?!

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Well, if porridge is oatmeal...then yes, i say its good for you. Use the rolled oats...they have more fiber which slows the carb consumption down. I love it!
  • Itisabouttime
    Options
    At least oatmeal is supposed to be great while losing weight. I usually have a bowl a day :]
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    its great anytime!
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try to make sure your porridge is of a rolled oat (not instant) variety. Even better if it's steel cut. I tend to eat oatmeal in the morning for breakfast as that carby fix to last me through the day. Most people who say to "cut back on carbs" seem to forget that fruits are loaded with carbs as well. Not just breads and pastas.
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    its a great way to start the day and ive heard sooo many times its great for weight loss :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    It hasn't done me any harm eating it for breakfast anyway.
  • 321Detonate
    321Detonate Posts: 131
    Options
    I eat oatmeal nearly every day... I am addicted!! Dollop a spoonful of unsweetened applesauce on top with a sprinkling of cinnamon and allspice, soooooo good!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is great for you! If I had to I could live off of it. I like the old fashioned oats and I cook them on the stove. I cook them in water and then put a little bit of milk and light brown sugar on it. keeps me full for hours!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    its good....

slow release of energy so keeps you going...........plus the warm milk stay in your belly for longer so you feel full for longer
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    British (OK Scottish/Irish) porridge is a type of oatmeal made with rolled oats and is normally made with milk rather than water. There are different 'levels' of instantness - for example 'oat so simple' is basically portion sized packs of normal oats (with flavored varieties available).

You can make 'non instant' porridge in the microwave in about a minute - its really very little effort.

And - best of all - its extremely good for you - yes, it contains carbs - but they are "Good" carbs and you need some carbs in your diet - especially if you are training too.
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    British (OK Scottish/Irish) porridge is a type of oatmeal made with rolled oats and is normally made with milk rather than water. There are different 'levels' of instantness - for example 'oat so simple' is basically portion sized packs of normal oats (with flavored varieties available).

You can make 'non instant' porridge in the microwave in about a minute - its really very little effort.

And - best of all - its extremely good for you - yes, it contains carbs - but they are "Good" carbs and you need some carbs in your diet - especially if you are training too.

Yes! I eat Scottish oats porridge, as I am from Scotland haha - but I just have it plain and then maybe add fruit or a flavouring on top so I can change it up from time to time and not get bored :)