Scale vs. Looks?

Options
I've been busting my butt at the gym, but I have only lost 3 pounds in the past few weeks. I HAVE, however, noticed that all my pants are too big and my shirts fit better. Is anyone else like me? I don't see a difference on the scale but I feel like I look different? It's kind of discouraging seeig only 3 pounds lost, but my arms are more toned and everything is a lot looser as far as clothing is concerned... Any advice on how to understand this whole thing? Or any insight as to if I might start losing more weight as I keep going and am just having a hard time losing it at the beginning? I've gone to the gym 5 or 6 times a week for the past 3 weeks and have done almost an hour of cardio and lifting every time (different muscle groups of course). I'm actually really knowledgable about fitness and nutrition and exercise but for some reason I feel like what everyone else goes through doesn't apply to me because I can't drop weight... Help! :) I follow my diet plan too, so I know it's not because I'm eating things I shouldn't. I'm really careful about what I eat..it's a habit, so I just don't really get why the scale says I'm staying the same...

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You're probably loosing fat and gaining muscle which is why you're not seeing the scale change. A lot of people take measurements and go by that instead
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Girl yes! I have been working out, not eating good all the time, but working out. My scale has not gone down but about 10 lbs but my clothes fit a whole lot better! Congrats to you and I know if we keep working hard more changes will come!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat! Its more dense so it'll take up less space on your body. Therefore you shrink but you stay the same weight, or even gain a little.

I'm in the same boat. Running pants that fit great 2 weeks ago won't stay up. If I look at pictures I obviously look smaller than I did even a month ago. And YET I've been at same weight for 2 weeks. Holding steady.

Whats more important though? The number on the scale, or the way you look and feel?
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Looks and pant size for sure....body weight is a poor measure of fitness.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options

Whats more important though? The number on the scale, or the way you look and feel?

Of course the way you look and feel ;)

Good job!!
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you but I would MUCH rather look better and have my clothes fit better than see a drop on the scale!!!!... weight is just a number and sooooo many things go into it... You should also start to keep track of your inches and go that route... It might be a while before you see a drop in the scale. That's how it was for me anyways.
  • LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi there

I'm definetly changing the way I think to its how you feel rather than a number in the scale.

Here is a blog post that you may find interesting

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/why-your-goal-weight-is-stupid-87990
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 6lbs since the beginning of the year...BUT I've gone down from a 10 to an 8, and I've dropped 5% in body fat, that's huge!! It's so hard not to look at that scale, so I understand. Start taking pictures and measure yourself, it truly helps!

congrats!
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    I have seen a loss in inches when the scales have not moved, so don't fret over the scale. Muscle does not weigh more than fat, so don't buy into that...a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...the difference is that a pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat, thus the loss in inches. Keep working hard & take the loss in inches! Sounds like what you are doing is giving you positive results, so don't fret.

Good luck on your continued success!!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! It's kinda discouraging not seeing a number difference, and since I see myself everyday I don't see many physical changes so it kinda sucks lol. But I think I might take pictures the 1st of every month so I can see the differences. I DO know that I have to go out and buy all new shorts because none of mine fit anymore, but that's a good thing :) Thanks for your help!
  • Kiiradee
    Kiiradee Posts: 12
    Options
    yes ive lost 17 stone and im training fitness instructor and when we train we gain muscle and this turns into lean body weight... but you lose fat so your scales may go up slightly or stay the same but as long as your seeing results then its all good :).... i think body weight is too overated i think we should throw away our scales..
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Ditto! Muscle takes up less room, so measurements are such a better way to take stock of where you are. When I first started strength training, I only lost two pounds, but dropped two dress sizes. Why? Because I had gained 5 lbs of lean muscle and dropped 7lbs. of fat (I did a dexa scan before I began working out, and then again after 6 weeks as part of a fitness contest). It's all in the numbers, not necessarily the scale. Just keep it up! :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yup, just the same. Very little weight loss, but inches and clothes sizes.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Not only does muscle weigh more, and you might be losing inches but not weight, but you are changing your metabolism. Muscle takes more energy to maintain. So you are building a fat burning machine that works harder even when you are not working out. WTG! Put your inches into MFP. Put in additional ones than it says, too. Keep track! You will see you are changing in numbers, just like the scale is numbers, so are inches. Weight on your frame to compare to others makes you feel good, but does not tell you much, inches do.