What to do when travelling?

Options
I'm pretty new here, but so far, everything is going perfectly. I'm motivated, I'm feeling better by the day, and have a lot more energy than I did in the past..BUT. Sometime in June, my husband and I are taking a trip overseas to see family and not only will my cell phone app not work, but my internet access also maybe limited given the fact that we'll be travelling a lot. I was thinking of keeping a written food journal and just updating every time I DO have internet access, but then I'm still not aware of the calorie content as I'm eating (so I may go over). Any ideas to help me stay on track!??

Thanks!!

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    my iPhone app has many foods in memory. But of course, you won't be able to sync. But if you buy something, you'd be able to enter its data manually, and find equivalents among the foods that are in the built-in database.
  • dalzinho
    dalzinho Posts: 52
    Options
    Lots of places overseas do have wifi available, so I've read.

Do bear in mind that if you're travelling you'll be quite active—most likely walking about more, sight-seeing, etc, so you have a bit of flexibility.

But for goodness sake—enjoy your holidays and don't be bound to calorie counting!
  • mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The problem is my cell phone carrier won't allow me internet access while I'm away because the country I'm going to isn't covered, so I can't even look things up in the database (or enter them manually) .
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I went away on a 10 day vacation after I had only been on here a month. I thought I would totally blow it, and didn't always have great luck with phone service, however, due to the organic nature of our vacation schedule, I found that we were eating brunch and dinner most days and skipping lunch, so I actually didn't go over very often...the food itself might not have been the best, but I still stayed near my goals :)
  • mghane
    Options
    One month away is not gonna be all vacation... can't enjoy myself TOOOOO much. If it was a week I wouldn't mind, but it's gonna be a while.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think keeping a diary is a great idea! Do a 'travel' diary at the end of each day - weather - what you've seen - your thoughts....Then turn the book upside down and do your own log of food. It will be interesting years later and will help you keep a little on track. BUT don't let this whole thing wreck your trip with hubby...enjoy it and remember it for all you experience and not a few lbs you may or may not put on. Remember often when travelling you do heaps of extra walking too!! Have a great trip!:glasses:
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    I'm with Dalzinho...enjoy your holiday. Make the best food choices you can while you're there, try to get some sort of work out in when you can, but relax and enjoy yourself.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTLY!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • dalzinho
    Options
    Maybe I've misunderstood, but presumably your device (iphone, or android or whatever) allows a choice between wifi and mobile data? In any cafe in just about any country in the Europe (at least), you can connect a mobile device to the cafe's own network and access the internet—you just can't do it from *anywhere* like you're used to.
  • kmfrisqu
    kmfrisqu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of writting everything down and entering it when you can. There are books out there that you can purchase that will list calories, carbs, protien, fat, sodium etc. And cover almost all foods. I would go to a book store and get one. Then you will always have it. The one that I use is The Encyclapedia of Food Values Good luck YOU CAN DO IT
  • lulu20111
    lulu20111 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Wifi can be expensive in certain areas, I travel alot and have a little calorie counter book that helps....all I do is log my updates when I can. Any good book shop with have them, it's my little support while i'm away and keeps me on healthy snacks rather than the easy option of fast food at hotels and airports!

Good luck and enjoy your break! Feel free to join me as a friend if I can be of support to you!

Lulu x
  • mghane
    Options
    Love the idea of a calorie counter book, that would be perfect! At least this way I'll know I'm in safe zone in terms of what I'm eating. Thanks!
  • dalzinho
    Options
    Assuming, of course, that the book is suited to the cuisine of your host country!
  • mghane
    Options
    Most countries will have the same basic ingredients (some sort of meat, or veggie, or grain)... it's just the spices that might differ, or the oil content, so I won't have too much difficulty there I don't think. (I hope...lol)
  • dalzinho
    Options
    You think so? Good luck then! :D
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you have an iTouch and the MFP app, you can enter food without wifi and once you do have wifi, it syncs.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The problem is my cell phone carrier won't allow me internet access while I'm away because the country I'm going to isn't covered, so I can't even look things up in the database (or enter them manually) .

but that's all local, and it's stored, you're only doing things in "offline mode"
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can- get as much exercise as you can- maybe even a bit more than usual if possible to offset additional food calories. I just got back from a week in Mexico where I had limited internet access and I ran every morning, ate the best I could, and I didn't gain a thing! Didn't lose either, but that's ok. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. If you've truly made this healthy lifestyle your lifestyle, the choices won't be too difficult.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    Depending on where you are traveling, there are many places where you can get free wifi for your phone or Ipod. Starbucks and McDonalds in the UK (and I'm assuming throughout Europe) have free wifi, along with many libraries and independent cafe's. Many Internet cafe's only charge £1/1 Euro for a half hour or an hour of using one of their computers. You could keep track in a notebook and then do a "upload" of your food diaries when you have internet access.

I say, enjoy your trip! You won't be 'snacking' as often as you would be at home, and you'll be walking tons, climbing stairs, etc if you're doing some sightseeing., so I think it'll be easier to maintain than you expect!