Yummy Yummy! Phyllo Egg Rolls!!

Options
OK, I got this Recipe from the Betty Crocker's New Eat and Lose weight Cookbook!
It sounded soooooo good that I wanted to share it! I haven't tried it yet but I am going to this weekend.

Phyllo Egg Rolls
Prep time 30 min, bake time 20min, Yield 18 rolls

1 Pound. Ground Turkey ( I think I'll do ground Chicken)
4 cups. Coleslaw Mix
3 Tbls. Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Grated Ginger Root ( I probably won't use this because I don't like Ginger)
1/2 tsp. Five-Spice
1/4 cup. Finely Chopped Onion
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
18 Frozen, thawed, Phyllo sheets (16x12'')

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook turkey/chicken in 10'' skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except phyllo, and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occassionally, until coleslaw mix is wilted; remove from heat.
Unroll Phyllo; over with wax paper then with a damp towel to prevent from drying.
Place 1 phyllo on cutting board; spray with non-stick cooking spray. Repeat with 2 more phyllo to make stacks of 3.
Cut crosswise into thirds to make 3 rectangles about 12x5''.
Place 1/4 c. of the turkey/chicken mix on the short end of each rectangle and roll, folding in the edges.
Place roll, seam down on a cookie sheet.
Repeat with the remaining phyllo and meat mix.
Spray rolls with non-stick cooking spray.
Bake 15-20 minutes.

Serving size 1 roll

Calories..............................95
Calories from fat.................10
Fat...........................................1 g
Saturated fat..........................0
Cholesterol..........................15mg
Sodium................................190mg
Carbs.....................................15g
Dietary fiber.............................1g
Protien.....................................8g

Vitamin A.................................0%
Vitamin C.................................4%
Calcium...................................2%
Iron...........................................6%

Enjoy!!!

Replies

• Elizabetnelson
    Options
    OK, I got this Recipe from the Betty Crocker's New Eat and Lose weight Cookbook!
    It sounded soooooo good that I wanted to share it! I haven't tried it yet but I am going to this weekend.

Phyllo Egg Rolls
    Prep time 30 min, bake time 20min, Yield 18 rolls

1 Pound. Ground Turkey ( I think I'll do ground Chicken)
    4 cups. Coleslaw Mix
    3 Tbls. Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
    1 tsp. Grated Ginger Root ( I probably won't use this because I don't like Ginger)
    1/2 tsp. Five-Spice
    1/4 cup. Finely Chopped Onion
    2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
    18 Frozen, thawed, Phyllo sheets (16x12'')

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
    Cook turkey/chicken in 10'' skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink; drain.
    Stir in remaining ingredients, except phyllo, and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occassionally, until coleslaw mix is wilted; remove from heat.
    Unroll Phyllo; over with wax paper then with a damp towel to prevent from drying.
    Place 1 phyllo on cutting board; spray with non-stick cooking spray. Repeat with 2 more phyllo to make stacks of 3.
    Cut crosswise into thirds to make 3 rectangles about 12x5''.
    Place 1/4 c. of the turkey/chicken mix on the short end of each rectangle and roll, folding in the edges.
    Place roll, seam down on a cookie sheet.
    Repeat with the remaining phyllo and meat mix.
    Spray rolls with non-stick cooking spray.
    Bake 15-20 minutes.

Serving size 1 roll

Calories..............................95
    Calories from fat.................10
    Fat...........................................1 g
    Saturated fat..........................0
    Cholesterol..........................15mg
    Sodium................................190mg
    Carbs.....................................15g
    Dietary fiber.............................1g
    Protien.....................................8g

Vitamin A.................................0%
    Vitamin C.................................4%
    Calcium...................................2%
    Iron...........................................6%

Enjoy!!!
  • hawkeyechick
    hawkeyechick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks.....those do sound good. Will have to try them soon. I LOVE egg rolls!!!!!
  • Elizabetnelson
    Options
    Thanks.....those do sound good. Will have to try them soon. I LOVE egg rolls!!!!!

You are welcome! I think I'm going to make them for dinner alone with beef and broccoli or something like that, lol
  • ladybug3
    Options
    :happy: Let us know how they turn out! Just love chinese food! My weakness:love:
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yummy bumping
  • amycakes812
    Options
    You are my hero!! :bigsmile: Egg rolls have to be one of my bad for me favorites, and I can never turn them down when ordering Chinese food. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! I will be adding the ingredients for this to my shopping list for the week!
  • Elizabetnelson
    Options
    All I have to say is WOW! These are sooooooooooooooooooooo GOOD! I didn't follow the directions to a T. I subbed Allspice for 5 spice ( I couldn't find any!) added 1/4 teaspoon of dill weed, no ginger root! I used 4 phyllo sheets instead of 3, and used olive oil spray instead of veggie oil spray. I also added a little extra onion and another clove of garlic.
    I know I changed the entire recipe! LoL
    But it turned out better than I could have ever imagined! WOW! I'm in love with these egg rolls!
  • Elizabetnelson
    Options
    You are my hero!! :bigsmile: Egg rolls have to be one of my bad for me favorites, and I can never turn them down when ordering Chinese food. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! I will be adding the ingredients for this to my shopping list for the week!

Awww thank you! But Betty Crocker wrote the book! LoL I love egg rolls too and the egg roll wrappers are soooo much more unhealthy because they really do need to be fried.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Oh this sounds YUM-O!!! I know that we'll just :heart: these! I'll also probably leave out the ginger and/or the five spice powder. I'm getting groceries tomorrow and will be getting all the ingredients to make them. Thank you so very much for sharing this recipe! :flowerforyou:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Gosh I can't wait to try these things!!! :laugh:
  • Elizabetnelson
    Options
    Gosh I can't wait to try these things!!! :laugh:

If you were closer I would totally give you one! But it's well worth the wait!

Oh BTW if you have never worked with phyllo sheets before ( I hadn't) it's a little tricky to not tear them! Make sure your hands are wicked dry! :D
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Made these tonight for dinner, YUMMY! I could definately taste a difference using phyllo instead of an egg roll wrapper, but it was very well worth the calorie and fat difference!
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Making these right now! The store didn't have phyllo sheets so I got lumpia wrappers instead. The brand I got has exactly the same nutrition stats as the phyllo, so I'm good. I can't wait to taste these babies!
  • Elizabetnelson
    Options
    Making these right now! The store didn't have phyllo sheets so I got lumpia wrappers instead. The brand I got has exactly the same nutrition stats as the phyllo, so I'm good. I can't wait to taste these babies!

You'll have to tell me how it goes. I've never had lumpias. But I love phyllo. :D
  • Elizabetnelson
    Options
    I noticed a difference too but I liked it!
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options

You'll have to tell me how it goes. I've never had lumpias. But I love phyllo. :D

The hubby and I LOVED 'em! It's a good thing the recipe made lots of 'em, otherwise we'd be fussing over the last one! :laugh: I did use a tad of fresh ginger but omitted the five spice powder completely. Served them with teriyaki chicken and vegetables and homemade fried rice. Mmmm! :tongue: This recipe is a keeper for sure! Thanks again for sharing!

Oh and lumpia are just Filipino egg rolls. The wrappers I used (Orientex) had 20 calories and no fat per sheet. Looking back, that's lower than the calorie and fat grams of the phyllo that I usually use. :bigsmile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

YOU'VE NEVER HAD LUMPIA! :noway: :noway: Oh no, they're more than just filipino egg rolls! They are little rolled up pieces of heaven! They have mainly meat with a little potato, maybe come carrots and/or tiny bit of cabbage and that's it. Smaller, much smaller than an egg roll-think more like a taquito. Boy, are those babies good! I used to make my own all the time but stopped when I went "healthy." Never thought of using turkey though or chicken instead.....going to mess around with this recipe and see what I can come up with, too!
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    YOU'VE NEVER HAD LUMPIA! :noway: :noway: Oh no, they're more than just filipino egg rolls! They are little rolled up pieces of heaven!

It's a mind thing with me. I have to think of 'em as "just Filipino egg rolls", otherwise I'd be hitting up my friend for a freezer full of 'em again! :laugh: You are so right, though, they are Heavenly!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I made these today! Except, no phyllo dough in this part of VA, so I used regular egg roll wrappers, and I only used 1/2 tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce instead of 3 to further reduce the sodium. I also left out the ginger root and used ginger power instead and garlic powder. Dropped the 5 spice, too.

I added curry power, chili powder, and pepper as well.

Anyway, they turned out great! Even my DH, who got this look at his face when I mentioned ground turkey egg rolls (you know , this look sick3qx.gif) loved them! He ate 3 of them and asked when I was making them again!
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    :smile: