what kind of protein powder is best for weight loss?

Options
thank you!

Replies

• donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    None.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get any, but protein powder doesn't make you lose weight (directly). It helps build muscle. You drink it right after a workout to help repair muscles. In turn those muscles burn calories.

Read the labels. A lot of them have a bunch of sugar and/or sodium that you'll want to avoid. I'm not super hardcore about my shakes - Body Fortress (cheapest brand at Walmart) does it for me. :-D
  • sheryllh79
    Options
    At one of the hospital here, they have what's called a "Bariatric" protein shake mix for people going thru the gastric bypass surgery but there's a lot of people who pick up the mix who don't go thru the surgery...I from personal experience that I was told to get around 60 grams of protein in a day. There's a lot of products out there that have a lot of protein but add in a lot of sugar, I've noticed the better ones have less than 3 or 4 grams of sugar but do good for the protein. If you have any questions or if I can be any more helpful, please let me know!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Weight & Inches has worked well for me. They come in chocolate and vanilla. They taste very good. I get mine here:

http://www.fitnessbootcampunlimited.com/ecommerce.php/mode/view/product/7

This is to be mixed with water.
  • buckeyereavis
    Options
    i love herbalife products... thats what i use!!!!
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I usually just drink carnation instant breakfast as a meal replacement. It has protein in it as well as other vitamins and minerals.
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had gastric bypass (bariatric) surgery. The proten that my doctor and nutrionist most recommends is UNJURY. I ordered it on line but some drugstores do carry the product. It has very little sugar and 21 grams of protein per 8 oz. serving. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, chicken soup and unflavored. I have tried the chocolate, chicken soup and unflavored. The chicken soup is similar to a bouillan. It can be added to mashed potatoes for a good flavor. The unflavored I mixed with sugar free puddings and sugar free jellos.

My nutrionist and doctors advise that after surgery you have an intake of 50 to 60 grams of protein a day. They recommend that you get in at least 30 grams before lunch. Protein helps you to feel fuller and less hungry. It helps build muscle.

There are also several "protein" shots on the market but they do have a lot of sugar. After surgery these are also recommended since bypass patients cannot consumne more thant 2 ozs. of food per meal.

Hope this helps.

Good luck on your new journey in life to become healthier by losing weight. "Friend" me if you like.

Bunny
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Whey Protein tastes great I got it at Walmart I just use one scoop per day with 2 cups of milk
  • donicagalek
    Options
    Aside from Unjury (which probably every bariatric surgery center gets tons of free samples of) my bariatric team recommended adding fat free powdered milk to skim milk and making shakes with that and whatever extract (mmm...almond) and cal-free sweetener I'd like (and ice, of course). Powdered milk is casein protein and not whey so if you're lactose intolerant it's not a great idea.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My mom just had a sugary like gastric bypass (bariatric) she has gastric cancer and the dr had to remove her whole tummy she can still eat but she has to drink a protein drink and her dr suggest herblife. I have also hear really good stuff about them to for weight loss.
  • donicagalek
    Options
    I found this and you might find it interesting (or more confusing). :-D

http://build-muscle-gain-weight.com/the-best-protein-powder-casein-egg-or-whey.html
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have tried 2 brands as of right now both I mix with Silk almond milk.
    Both I got at my local Kroger grocery store.
    I mix 2 scoops of powder with 2 cups of almond milk. (Serves 2 people.)

Designer Whey Vanilla
    Designer Whey Chocolate w/ choc. almond milk
    It doesn't seem to blend completly smooth.
    Cost was $10-15 (can't remember).

Jay Robb Tropical Dreamsicle (my fav)
    Jay Robb Pina Colada
    Mixes smoother than the Designer Whey.
    Cost was $22
  • amandaroland80
    amandaroland80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like muscle milk light. It has no sugar added, 15g protein, 100 calories, and is already ready to go in a little carton. You can get it at Target or Walmart or Sam's.
  • Elli0tt
    Elli0tt Posts: 49
    Options
    whatever u do dont get those meal replacements/ protein shakes you can find in grocery stores that come in those cans. Like slim fast and all, in my opinion they arent healthy at all haha and the nutrition facts prove it. As a life long athlete and shake drinker I'd say just stay away from the more sugary kinds that have more calories and sodium.
  • Elli0tt
    Elli0tt Posts: 49
    Options
    Muscle milk is one of the better ones
  • rdaraz
    rdaraz Posts: 103
    Options
    thank you so much for the advice guys!!! :)
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I tried my Muscle Milk Light Peanut Butter Chocolate today. One scoop with a cup of original Silk almond milk.
    It blends well and tasted pretty good. Just like choc milk in my opinion.
  • ThePinkSheep
    ThePinkSheep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like the Muscle Milk Light chocolate that I blend with ice, water and a banana and becomes a good smoothie drink. Got a large tub at my 24 Hour Fitness for $19.