ALCOHOL ADVICE!

Options
Tell me this...I have this gut feeling & its stuck on my mind, I'm worried about next week...

If I eat soo healthy stay under my calorie goal all next week & exercise everyday till sunday(my usual routine but better)..
Can I enjoy 6 or 7 drinks at between 52-92 calories each (under 700cal) on Friday, If I have a low cal brekkie and dinner that day and altogether still stay under the 1200mark?
Will I still loose my 1-2lbs a week?! does anyone else do this? HELP I wont sleep till I figure this out haha

no mean answers, just helpful answers cause my mood isnt the best ...

I'm still learning :)

Replies

• Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It has been said that alcohol slows down your metabolism for 3 days after you drink it.. so my guess is as good as yours.... sorry I am not a huge help!!
  • juberry
    juberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's probably too many drinks. Also, check the calorie counts for alcohol. And...alcohol gives us a belly bloat, which is one great reason to avoid it or use it in moderation. Good luck with your planning.
  • mariachi
    mariachi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but I would eat more for brekkie and dinner that day, maybe just a bit more...if you had that alcohol, #1 asking for trouble on such few calories, #2 You will feel so rotten next day you will lose out on effective workouts! I say 1500 calories and no more than 5 drinks! ha!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That depends on you. Do you tend to eat when you drink? Is it harder for you to resist appetizers and snacks and/ or a late night trip to a diner for pancakes if you've had a few? I know I find it harder to resist when I've got alcohol in me, so I avoid drinking more than one or two glasses of beer or wine. If you struggle to maintain control over food urges you might want to limit how much you drink that evening and fill up with a healthy meal beforehand.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well, to be honest, alcohol is not the BEST thing for weight loss in general....but are you talking 6 or 7 drinks EVERY Friday, or just next friday? Because if your talking a one time thing of 6 or 7 drinks, I dont think its a big deal, but if your doing happy hour every friday, it might be better to cut back on the amount. Trust me, even though I know its not best, I am not eve going to pretend to give up red wine, and I am all for making room in my "calorie counting" for it! But I wouldnt give up to much for it....its not healthy calories.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on drinking that much I wouldn't restrict your food intake to 500 calories. You'll be hungover and sick and that's no good. If you're going out for a special event I would just say don't worry about it. I know I'm not counting calories on my birthday. If it's not a special event, maybe cut down on the drinks. Definitely don't use it as an excuse to not go to the gym the next day though. Don't feel bad for skipping a day for special occasions. In all reality, it's probably better for your body to eat more if you're going to drink that much then eat 500 calories and be ill the next day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My personal belief is that if you have an important event coming up, and you want to let loose a little and enjoy yourself for one day, then there is no reason you shouldn't do it. That said, that's a lot of drinks in one day, unless you're starting at dawn and going until midnight. :)

You might moderate the alcohol a bit by having a glass of water in between each drink. You'll still have a drink in your hand but only doing half as much damage to your weight loss and your liver. You'll probably feel better for it come the next morning, too!
  • 750legpress
    750legpress Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    IF you are going to drink alcohol, log it...I do that every single time (keeps me honest and still on track)...THEN make sure to drink a glass of water (a nice 16 ounce glass of it is great) after the alcoholic drink. A friend of mine is a professional wine maker and wine judge and she taught me that many years ago..glass of wine, glass of water. It will help keep you hydrated while you drink AND probably keep you from drinking a little too much.

Have fun....and a designated driver. :)
  • GooneyAngel
    Options
    I at times take a break and indulge in alcohol....ENJOY!! Just not too frequently.......:drinker:
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    would do a couple not 6 or 7 drinks. Don't skimp on breakfast.
  • Searsh
    Searsh Posts: 27
    Options
    Nope I dont eat when drinkin at all it only makes me feel sick haha!
    Hey I'm young I like to feel tipsy or I wouldnt drink at all haha
    I'm steadily losing 3lbs a week, I'm starting to know how my bodys workin!
    I usually have treats during the week but this week I wont and the drink will be a treat :)
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You will be bloated the next day regardless of what kind of alcohol you drink and yes it does slow down your metabolism for the next couple of days as your body recovers from the "poison." Therefore you shouldn't expect the same type of weight loss on weeks you drink, even if you budget in the calories of the drinks. Good luck and have fun on Friday!
  • cirrus48
    cirrus48 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am no expert about this, but I do enjoy some drinks on the weekends. I tend to bank up calories on that day like you're talking about and it has worked for me. I've either weighed the same or a couple pounds more the morning after. It will probably take a day or two for your body to recover and adjust, but it will. One way to help is to drink a good amount of water before, while drinking (if possible have some water every other drink or something like that) and the day after. Your body will probably still retain water because it becomes dehydrated after a night of cocktails. I tend to let loose and drink some on the weekends and have still been losing weight consistently. Most importantly though, make sure there are healthy snacks around while drinking; your will power WILL be compromised :wink:

I hope you find this helpful! Good luck!
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I drink on the weekends. Friday and Saturday - sometimes Sunday I'll have a couple. I make sure I work out hard on Friday morning and on Saturday morning - and that I eat normal balanced during the day so I have a little food in my belly to absorb the alcohol so it doesn't go straight to my head. I make sure to drink plenty of water during the day and between drinks. Typically I get 2 shots of liquor and 4 beers - I drink the lightest beer on the market (select55) and stick with Vodka. That makes about 360 calories extra 2 x's a week.

I know it's not the healthiest thing for me to do - 80 days on here and 20lbs lighter, I could be losing faster - but I am not giving up my alcohol - I have a life and booze is a part of it.
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    A couple of people mentioned not to reduce your food intake before drinking. Wise advice. I went out with coworkers and restricted my dinner cals by a LOT b/c I was planning on having munchies with the drinks. I had one 12 ounce beer and two 1 ounce shots and was B-L-I-T-Z-E-D. It took 2 pieces of pizza and 4 12 ounce cups of water to get me steady enough to drive and even then I wished I'd had another half hour before i got behind the wheel. And yes, that amount of alcohol slowed down my weight loss for the week, even though I worked out the hardest I had up to this point.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Go for it.

It's obviously some sort of event that;'s important to you, but isn't something you do every week.
  • Searsh
    Searsh Posts: 27
    Options
    Ok this is great I'm getting good advice :D ok ok I suppose I wont go over the top haha

Heres what I'm thinking I should do..
    The beer I drink is 92 calories ... If I have 5 beers Its 460cals and 1 hard liqur shot which is usual 55cals

and have a good balanced brekkie and dinner with 700calories? DRINK LOTS OF WATER..will do that too!

& Do my usual 6day work out & healthy eating of 1200 cals all week :)

and HANGOVERS..not a chance! ;)
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    A couple of people mentioned not to reduce your food intake before drinking. Wise advice. I went out with coworkers and restricted my dinner cals by a LOT b/c I was planning on having munchies with the drinks. I had one 12 ounce beer and two 1 ounce shots and was B-L-I-T-Z-E-D. It took 2 pieces of pizza and 4 12 ounce cups of water to get me steady enough to drive and even then I wished I'd had another half hour before i got behind the wheel. And yes, that amount of alcohol slowed down my weight loss for the week, even though I worked out the hardest I had up to this point.

I really don't do this usually...but why did you drive if you were still feeling the effects after being BLITZED by alcohol?? Dangerous!

I have a few drinks at the weekend, usually on a friday but I would agree with the other posters who have suggested that you eat a good breakfast and listen to your body. Don't go overboard on the alcohol...make sure you're sober enough to leave the pizza alone and get up and have a good workout.

However, don't let your calorie intake get to you...if it is a one off, then enjoy it...I have done it in the past and still lost weight. You need to enjoy life too....it's not all about calories.

Gorgeous pic by the way xx
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I know a lot of people say that alcohol slows down your metabolism, but I never really had a problem with it. A few years ago I lost a significant mount of weight, I ate tons of junk food and drank A LOT (10 or more drinks a day)! I also exercised for hours every day. I gained a lot of it back after I quit exercising that much, but I had no problem losing weight just by burning a lot more calories a day than I was consuming.
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    Pretty sure it will slow weight loss down, but I know that sometimes I feel like celebrating or enjoying myself too. And my feeling is that as long as it's in moderation and not every day (how it used to be for me), that's ok and the following week will be better. Hope this helps, and that you have a nice time whatever you decide.