Yoga Tree pose

Options
amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
Does anyone have any ideas how I can get my foot to not slide down my leg and rest at the inside of my knee during the Tree pose? I thought just repetition of the move itself would work...hasn't, then I thought maybe after some off the weight is gone of my thigh it might be easier?? (apparently I haven't lost enough if this is true...).

Help! :laugh:

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas how I can get my foot to not slide down my leg and rest at the inside of my knee during the Tree pose? I thought just repetition of the move itself would work...hasn't, then I thought maybe after some off the weight is gone of my thigh it might be easier?? (apparently I haven't lost enough if this is true...).

Help! :laugh:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm not a huge yoga person although I do like midnight yoga every so often. Total I've probably been to 30 yoga classes over the years. I have the same problem in tree that my leg always slips down, but I think with any of the poses in yoga over time as your strength builds and the weight comes off, your foot will probably not slip anymore. I see people in yoga who are so in shape and strong, and their foot doesn't slip. Keep working at it and I'm sure you'll find success!!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i have this same problem when i do tree pose. I find that the thinner my thighs get, it becomes a little easier, but it is almost impossible for me to get my foot above the knee like you are supposed to, bc my calf muscles are so big, they wont let it lay flat... oh well, practice, practice, practice!
  • redflipr
    Options
    I find that if I wear some sort of cotton bike short instead of something loose it creates a little traction and my foot slides less. I also think of pressing the sole of my foot into my thigh to hold it there rather than lifting the leg up. That's not cheating is it? :-)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    What's helped me (although my foot still slips) is to tilt my pelvis under, and make sure my hips are open. Also, remember to bring the knee of the bent leg back to help this happen.

Any other ideas?:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I find that if I wear some sort of cotton bike short instead of something loose it creates a little traction and my foot slides less. I also think of pressing the sole of my foot into my thigh to hold it there rather than lifting the leg up. That's not cheating is it? :-)

I also have an easier time if wearing cotton, and I press my foot tightly against my thigh. The pressure keeps my leg up, I think.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Clothing makes a big difference. Loose clothing makes it harder. Try it with short shorts (skin on skin) - if that does not work, your flexibility is not available yet - move your foot down a little, until it finally sticks.
    Also:
    Press on the little toe side of the lifted leg - this opens the hip as well. Also, when the heel reaches the top of the thigh there is a little space there for the bottom of the foot. There is also a place below the knee.

To test flexibility - see if you can rest a bent leg in half lotus while standing (so the foot is on top of the thigh in the area between the thigh and the hip). If the leg won't stay, it probably won't stay in tree either.

Good luck.