Oh the pain...

Options
So 3 days ago I must have really over done it.

Before work I ran 1.7 k, after work I did the same run. It was my second time out running since my training began 3 weeks ago. To make matters worse, I purchased 30 day Shred the very next day and just had to try it, even though I was already hurting from the run.

Now I can barely squat to sit, my legs and but are Killin' me!!
I haven't worked out now for 2 days and I feel extremely crummy about it.

Does anyone have any ideas of modified exercises I could do, not involving my legs or butt. I'm planning on doing some crunches and small exercises on my arms, I have tendenitus, so won't be burning much with my arms.....

H.E.L.P!

Any ideas pleasssssssse :smile:

Replies

• soccermum
    soccermum Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So 3 days ago I must have really over done it.

Before work I ran 1.7 k, after work I did the same run. It was my second time out running since my training began 3 weeks ago. To make matters worse, I purchased 30 day Shred the very next day and just had to try it, even though I was already hurting from the run.

Now I can barely squat to sit, my legs and but are Killin' me!!
    I haven't worked out now for 2 days and I feel extremely crummy about it.

Does anyone have any ideas of modified exercises I could do, not involving my legs or butt. I'm planning on doing some crunches and small exercises on my arms, I have tendenitus, so won't be burning much with my arms.....

H.E.L.P!

Any ideas pleasssssssse :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Have you been stretching?

On our off days, we usually neglect any flexibility work. But if we've had a lot of lactic acid buildup and cause inflammation with microtears, our muscles become swollen and stiff with changes in pH and the buildup of tiny pieces of tissue and stuff. If we stretch after exercise and then again on the days we have off, we can aid our bodies in flushing out waste.

Of course, you can't stretch cold, so you will have to walk. Walk briskly for 10-15 minutes. Initially, the stiffness will bother you, but it'll go away by the end of your walk. Then come back and stretch everything, even body parts that aren't sore. You don't have to do yoga or anything--just regular, static stretching.
  • soccermum
    soccermum Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice.

I do neglet stretching. I thought a lot of the soreness was due to lack of stretching. How long do you think is sufficient stretch time?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That depends on the person, really. Some people say to hold a stretch for 10 seconds, others say 30. You hold the stretch until you feel the muscle 'give', meaning you naturally sink into and deepen the stretch without having to apply pressure. For me, a thorough, whole-body stretch takes 20 minutes. My normal post-workout stretch is usually about 10 because I focus on my worked muscles and briefly stretch the ones I didn't use just to maintain laxity. But I am naturally flexible and stretch regularly, so it doesn't take long to feel the give in my muscle.