Going camping for Spring Break and I'm so afraid of gaining

Options
So.. We are going camping for 2 weeks and I'm so scared of gaining all my weight back. I plan on trying to follow a low carb/high protein diet the best I can and try to get up and walk/run while everyone is still sleeping. It's going to be difficult and I hope I can do it. Anyone have any good advice when it comes to eating out? Wish me luck!!!

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    why do you have to do it while everyone's sleeping? get excited and have everyone go with you on a trail hike! it would be fun and it would burn your camping calories!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Remember everything is ok in moderation! Get a steak at dinner...just get veggies instead of potatoes on the side. Things like that. If you want dessert, get a salad instead of pasta or whatever you would usually get. You can also always do crunches, pushups, ect. before bed or whenever is convenient. Remember to drink 64 oz. of water a day water because it will keep your metabolism up. Don't worry about it too much though. No sense in ruining a vacation :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you're camping, won't you be cooking over the fire/grill and stuff??/ If so, there's lots of great recipes you can make! Load up on chicken/fish/veggies and leave the s'mores to the others (well, have one, but only if you can stop at one!). Also, when I'm camping we walk EVERYWHERE!! So you should be burning lots of calories. If you have to chop firewood, that would be great too!!!!

Good luck, and have fun!
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    2 weeks? Lucky! We only ever go camping for the weekend/3 nights....Do lots of hiking it the woods. For food we like to bring cut up veggies in tuperware and than wrap with a little olive oil in tin foil and then put in the fire. Yum!
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Toss some chicken and veggies in a foil wrap, add a couple of ice cubes (causes steam) and put em over the flames - YUMMM.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Pack lots of healthy snack. You can cut up fruit and put them in snack size bags according to portion sizes, that way it's already done for you! Sprinkle them with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. You could also eat a few seeds and nuts, but in moderation! Prepackage them according to portion size as well! :)
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    we camped a lot & totallyl eat healthy when camping. screw the burgers! cook chicken or shrimp on the grill & then grill peppers, onions & pinapple... YUM we even put corn on cob on grill
  • jenielee
    jenielee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We're a camping family so I know how you feel! It is a bit harder while living "rough". One of my main problems is not getting enough water. I'm always a couple pounds heavier when we get home (bloating) but it goes away after a day or so of drinking enough. Don't beat yourself up over a s'more or two. Just be sure to stay active. It's so easy while camping....there's always so much to see and do. Enjoy yourself and don't stress too much about what you eat, just eat in moderation and make smart choices when you can. Have FUN!!!
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My family and I went to Florida just a couple of wks. ago for a week. I exercised every day that we weren't on the road but I didn't watch what I ate. I decided I was on vacation and I would take care of it when I got back. I gained 4 lbs. over that week, but within the next week I lost it all again, just by going back to my old habits and following MFP and exercising. It was just like the Christmas and New Year's holiday.

Take that gang on some long hikes and runs and you should be just fine! Enjoy!
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    Just forget about it and enjoy spring break. You'll come back happy and motivated. You won't gain too much in a week. Live life, you only have so many spring breaks. Exercise and dieting can wait a week or 2.
  • AngieDee12
    AngieDee12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We are campers, and the season is about to start for us....Hot dogs, Hamburgers, marshmellows! YIPES. But, I am prepared when I go. I bring plenty of my own foods. Instead of a hamberger I have a turkey burg.on 1/2 wheat roll, grilled bell peppers/mushrooms,light string cheese is convenient, Hard boiled eggs...cut up plenty of veggies, apples, healthy lunch meat .....have some almonds/nuts...DRINK (I like sugar free flavored waters) Also I like to have a few protein bars with me, and yogurts. HMMM, just stay strong, and remind yourself of the hard work you have put into your new way of eating! PRACTICE, practice. IF you think you can have some "goodies" in moderation...go ahead. I personally find it too hard for me to not over due it once I have a bite of something "RISKY". But, I am comfortable to eat a bit differently than the others around me. Nothing wrong with taking great care of ourselves:) Have fun!
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Gaining while camping? This is a foreign concept to me. Your in nature!!! Hike, swim, paddleboat, canoe, rock climbing, walking, tree climbing....... And shoot, it's a vacation. Enjoy it! Have a s'more! Why not, theres so much calorie burning going on.

Unless you camp like my mom.... fully loaded camper, TV, microwave, beer, cigarettes, more beer, and a lawn chair to just WATCH the action. Even she never gains a pound when we camp. And that woman wipes the griddle with white bread to soak up the bacon grease, and thats lunch. No joke.

I'm just saying, I think you'll be fine.

Have a blast!:drinker:
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Camping sounds like a great way to stay on track!! Besides any beer that you would drink, that would be my downfall when camping with my husband and friends. There are many ways to get excercise when camping, hiking, swiming, boating, walking, running, frisbee, catch. I usually dont eat all the time when camping because you dont want to pack so much food and on a long trip like that, you need it to last.

Lots of veggies are good when camping, just roll them in tinfoil and place them just inside the fire. My favs are mushrooms, peppers, tomatos, carrots, corn. Potatoes are also sooo good on the fire, and you can just put the whole thing right in the fire and then the inside is sooo fluffy and delicious. Eggs are also an easy thing to make while camping. I usually take soups, fish, veggie burgers, fruit. And really with a cooler you could take many other things. For low carb and high protein, stock up on cottage cheese, eggs, beans, fish and meat, string cheese, milk, cereal, yogurt, brown rice works pretty well on a camp stove. Just pack and plan well and eat at the campsite, thats part of the fun.

Enjoy your trip!!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, my husband is vegetarian. When we go camping (for a week) I pack about 10-15 pounds of food (for myself) and take very little that can rot. Convenience is essential to me, thus I pack individual packages of Vega Protein Smoothies (a variety of flavors), lots of raw veggies and fruits (uncut), blue menu 'Just Peanuts' peanut butter, La Factory multigrain high fiber, low carb tortilla wraps, wasa multigrain crisp bread, alfalfa sprouts, Vega protein bars, raw nuts and seeds (I make my own trail mix that way I control the fat, sugar, salt etc), my own homemade vegan high protein granola, a variety of individually wrapped tea bags, vegan/vegetarian cup-of-soups (usually with beans of some sort), a pack of toasted nori (seaweed), and instant oatmeal packages (no sugar added).

When I pack for my husband I add canned sardines and tuna (the ones with the convenient lift tabs), and canned beans in tomato sauce. On our departure day and for the first day only I also pack him a couple of egg salad La Factory tortilla wraps filled with alfalfa sprouts, and take a container of homemade bean dip (similar to hummus) for his veggies. He also likes his Fiber one bars so I make sure to pack about a weeks supply.

Hope this helps!
  • Want2BRunner
    Want2BRunner Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!! We will be camping at Disney so there will be ton's of temptations :/ I LOVE all of the advice!!! Thanks so much :) We will be also camping with all of my In-laws that tend to lean toward eating whatever they want and staying 100 lbs.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    I know when my family went to disney, you walk for miles. So enjoy and you'll be burning extra calories from all the running around. We used to go in the single rider line for "test track". Finish the ride and run back to the single rider line. I nearly had a stroke, but got to ride about 10 times in 30 minutes. Believe me, you will burn off the calories so don't even worry about it.