Too Few Calories....Help!

Options
I'm having trouble getting my daily goal for calories. I know I just started on here today, but I ate what I normally eat, and the amounts are the same. I don't usually vary, except maybe one thing different for lunch. I always have extra calories left over, so I'm eating too little for my body. I thought I was good, but the calorie tracker is saying I need to eat more, but I just don't have enough room to eat more. I eat every 2 hours, usually, and it's only light snacking because I don't get very hungry.
I know tomorrow I'll have more calories than today because I'll be eating pasta for lunch, but it's not going to make my calories reach the goal because I won't be eating much when I get home. My work schedule doesn't allow me to eat much, anyway.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep my body from going into starvation mode? I'm afraid this might be happening to me because of how little calories I actually eat in a day....

Replies

• katy5692
    katy5692 Posts: 140
    Options
    Load up on a big breakfast maybe a large bowl of porridge with fruit etc. to set you up for the day.
    Maybe try cereal bars/ fruit to snack on throughout the day.... :)
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    nuts are a good thing to add they are high calorie but a healthy addition
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    try snack foods higher in calories...like avocados, nuts or even cottage cheese.
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to try them out :D
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem as you. Now I load my morning cereal with protein powder, sesame or chia seeds, stewed prunes, stevia (for sweetness) and soymilk. Occasionally I might even add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter.

I eat a lot of beans, tofu, low carb and high fiber wraps, nuts and seeds, and loads of raw veggies.

If you want, go through my food diary (it's open to the public). It might help you get some ideas for high calorie meals and snacks.
  • LeahHarrison
    Options
    I am having the same problem, I started 5 days ago, but if you play around with the data base when you have time it will be better. I have been planning ahead a little bit so I can work out how to get all of the nutirients I need. I think this is the most important part.

I realised that my body has already been in starvation mode for a really long time, so everything I have eaten in the past stored as fat. You absolutely need breakfast and try to eat as much as you can earlier in the day than later, your metabolism slows at night so you dont want your food sitting in your system not being processed overnight.

Dont panic that it told you that your body is in starvation mode, it's just highlighting what has already been happening to you, it will take your body a few days to get used to eating more. My body is adjusting, I've already lost weight and I already have more energy......only after 5 days!!!

Just play around with the database is all I can say, and make sure you are eating healthy food and more food earlier in the day is better. Your body needs the energy during the day, not at night, remember that food is fuel and you need to keep the tank full during the day.
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Trail mix (or other nuts and dried fruit), protein shakes, milk... are all high calorie/nutrient dense foods.
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    I feel like I must be in starvation mode. I have barely been able to afford food for a few months, so my stomach got used to having little to eat. That's where that little problem started. I just started a full time job though, so I can afford more food than I have had in the past. I hope that all these suggestions work out. I don't want to be in starvation mode anymore.
  • kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i WISH i had this problem...lol
  • Want2BRunner
    Want2BRunner Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem. I'm doing a low carb/high protein diet and not even getting slightly close to 1,200 a day. It's bad!! I work out at least 2 hours or more a day as well. I just don't know what to do anymore.. I'm not hungry.
  • chrishopkins1
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I started on Thursday and I'm still geting used to shuffling what I've got in the fridge because food shopping is done until the next paycheck! I already saw some great responses, really useful suggestions.
  • cfmusgrove
    cfmusgrove Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am not sure that I believe the 1200 calories a day rule. How could it be the same number for everyone of different genders and body types??

Besides, if you normally eat less than 1200 calories, I don't really see how eating more calories would make you lose weight...

I did a quick search and found this explanation:
    http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

It is all based off a single study that only included men = NOT generalizable to women or the general population
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    My biggest problem is that unless I happen into something gross like BK or McD's, I usually only eat about 700 calories a day. I just don't get hungry anymore. My mom said that I should eat more because I'm being unhealthy, but if my body says I'm not hungry, why eat? Should I force food into myself?
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Definately have a nice hearty serving of breakfast. It will keep you fuller to last throughout the day!!!
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is that unless I happen into something gross like BK or McD's, I usually only eat about 700 calories a day. I just don't get hungry anymore. My mom said that I should eat more because I'm being unhealthy, but if my body says I'm not hungry, why eat? Should I force food into myself?

Your issue may be lack of exercise. If you exercise more your body will tell you it is hungry!!! Also higher calorie foods may be the way to go for you. Don't force yourself to eat. Train yourself to eat instead. Start with small portions three times a day and work up to 5-6 eating times a day. Then slowly increase portion size until you reach your calorie goals. That being said, exercise is the key. It is not necessarily related to the amount of time you spend exercising but what type of exercise you do. i.e swimming burns way more calories in an hour than walking does.
  • mommyjen7
    mommyjen7 Posts: 12
    Options
    I say yes, do force food into yourself. Soon your body will want that amount of food everyday. You cannot get out of starvation mode if you dont eat more.
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    Lack of exercise definitely isn't the problem, sad to say. Except for the past two weeks, I'm usually on my feet doing something. In nice weather, I like to mountain bike. I love to do kickboxing at least once a week, and I'm jumping rope, walking, running, dancing. You name it. Plus, before I switched jobs, my entire job was walking around carrying heavy boxes of meat (60 pounds or more). I was still gaining weight, and not losing inches on my waistline when I was doing that job. So that's why I'm concerned about all this. Especially now that my new job is going to try to force me into a sedentary lifestyle, as I'll be sitting down all day taking phone calls for AllState. I could try to exercise more than I already do, though.
  • iggyscott
    iggyscott Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First how much are you trying to lose.. I started last year and was at 1800 calories a day. As I have lost weight MFP has lowered my daily in take down to 1570 . there are days that i dont make the 1570 but am usually close . not sure what you eat but if you eat every two hours 1200 should be easy to hit . Just to let you know I have lost 50 plus pounds since last March stick with it and you will reach your goals..
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Try adding some natural peanut butter for a snack its very dense in calories and has healthy fats and protein it. 1 or 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter a day should help add some needed calories to your daily diet. My favorite is Skippy natural chunky peanut butter.
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 25 lbs, though I know that might not be exactly how much I lose. My legs are pretty much all muscle, but I have stomach flab, I have a spare tire on my back (ugh), and my arms are a bit jelly like, despite having carried a lot of weight and doing kickboxing. Even though I'm flabby, I can still feel a lot of muscle underneath..Basically, I'm unsure of how unrealistic my goals are here, but last summer I weighed 140, and I want to get back to that.