Disability and exercise

Options
Hello all, I have a question that I hope some of you can answer. I have fibromyalgia and sciatica. Due to this disability, I can not do any exercise that has high or even moderate impact. I do not have a lot of money to go buy different machines, videos, etc. My doctor told me to try pilates and water therapy, unfortunately where I live, I would have to pay at least $35.00 a session and need to go to each at least 3 times a week. Not possible. Any suggestions or advice on home workouts or inexpensive DVD's. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Replies

• eouimet
    eouimet Posts: 29
    Options
    what about the stationary bike? do you know someone with one? or even walking slowly on the treadmill, I had a broken collar bone for the last three monthes and those are some things I did at low impact as to not cause any pain. :)
  • bobbieflorey
    Options
    My fiance has many of those same issues and then some. He has found that he can do some mild stretching and just walking in the water has little to no impact and counts as exercise...be sure to stick to the dietary recommendations the site gives you and even the minimal exercising will help!
  • darknanc
    darknanc Posts: 6
    Options
    What about mild yoga dvds? How does walking work for you? Maybe some golf or hitting the driving range in the summer. You can usually find some used clubs at garage sales. Good luck. :)
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good exercise. If you can't go long go for a few short walks thru the day. Or get some yoga Dvd's. Another option if you have cable tv see if there is an exercise channel that may have yoga or something low impact on it.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    try looking on youtube, i am not sure what you are able to do, but there are sooo many different types of workouts on there that i am sure you will find something. if you can walk for any period of time at a good pace, look for leslie sansone. she does walking workouts, and they are low impact, or you can adjust them to make them as low impact as you need.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Try your local library for workout videos to rent. Also, any on-demand cable/satelite stations have free exercise programs that you can do.
  • Redbella
    Redbella Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was injured in a tornado in '09. At first I was partially paralyzed but over time I regained full movement. Unfortunately due to the length of time I was in the hospital and unable to move my legs they grew very weak. I started seeing a physical therapist and she swore by water therapy. And she was right. I went from being paralyzed from the waist down to having full movement of my legs. I can now walk a few steps and when I am in the pool I feel "normal again". I first started just standing there and now I can swim for an hour doing laps. We joined the local Ymca. They have programs if u r a low-level income family and will help u out in anyway they can. I love everyone up there they treat me like family. I really recommend it!
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have sciatica and Dr's are checking on fibromyalgia... I understand your chronic pain and I am truly sorry.

Since a gym is out, have you tried the local YWCA or Rec. Center, in my town the Rec. is $35/year... you could Google Free Yoga/Pilates videos online... Discovery Health &Fit has yoga every morning, before they start the BS programming. (Yoga has helped me)

I'm trying to learn new things as well, trying to deal with pain and money issues...

I wish you the best.

~Ang:flowerforyou:
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have Spina Bifida -- paralyzed in below the knees and wear braces to help me walk! I've been trying to lose weight for the last 2+ yrs, and I have successfully kept off at least 24 lbs, and am struggling to lose the remaining 18+ lbs I want to lose before next year! I do the stationary bike 1 hr everyday... I used to do it 2 hrs everyday then I got bored... now I am struggling to keep doing the stationary bike and was wondering if anyone knew any other cardio exercises I could do that doesn't require too much balance. This summer I am going to try to walk a lot, and swim, but right now I can't because the weather won't cooperate!!!!! Does stepping up and down a board or whatever u call it, a cardio exercise? I dunno what else I can do. Please help! Thank you!!!!
  • avazquez_1971
    Options
    Wow, Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. Many of them I had never even thought about. I will try all of those. The only thing I could come up with is resistant bands. I am not very proficient with the computer but I do think I have a youtube account. I look up craft tutorials so I will look up no or low impact exercises. Again, thank you all so much.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have Spina Bifida -- paralyzed in below the knees and wear braces to help me walk! I've been trying to lose weight for the last 2+ yrs, and I have successfully kept off at least 24 lbs, and am struggling to lose the remaining 18+ lbs I want to lose before next year! I do the stationary bike 1 hr everyday... I used to do it 2 hrs everyday then I got bored... now I am struggling to keep doing the stationary bike and was wondering if anyone knew any other cardio exercises I could do that doesn't require too much balance. This summer I am going to try to walk a lot, and swim, but right now I can't because the weather won't cooperate!!!!! Does stepping up and down a board or whatever u call it, a cardio exercise? I dunno what else I can do. Please help! Thank you!!!!

Team, stepping up and down on a stair or what not is definitely cardio, its called Step actually. Great workout.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you google "wheelchair exercise" or "seated exercise" you will get a ton of options from which to choose. Shadow boxing, whether seated or standing comes to mind as a good cardio exercise with little to no impact.