Anyone use quinoa?

Options
Athena413
Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
I bought some quinoa the other day because my new cookbook had a few recipes that called for it. I'm definitely open to more recipes/cooking tips, though!

Replies

• delmarbeth
    Options
    I love quinoa. We had it for dinner tonight! I add it to salads for protein. Just remember to rinse it before cooking.
  • gigigirl13
    Options
    I have a really good recipe for quinoa burgers. I will post it for you on Monday. I think you will like it.
  • Kellyr107
    Kellyr107 Posts: 43
    Options
    Quinoa is awesome....just DON'T overcook it. Lol! I have made some tasty cold salads and have also served it warm with chicken. Lots of options and always good as long as its not overdone.
  • queenkimie
    Options
    I cook mine in the rice cooker....it's easy that way :), I use the brown rice setting.
  • Kellyr107
    Kellyr107 Posts: 43
    Options
    Burgers sound great!
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    one of my favorite quinoa recipes is actually from the new york times - it is INSANELY tasty, and I usually end up making a big bowl of it and then working my way through it in several days (have to prep the avocado each time, though, since it browns so quickly). Healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil, tons of veggies, and obviously, quinoa is a great whole grain, so a good source of carbs and protein too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/health/nutrition/13recipehealth.html?_r=1&ref=quinoa
  • Athena413
    Options
    mmm...burgers...I look forward to that recipe! :love:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Love Quinoa! Just made some tonight. You can cook it in low-sodium chicken broth for more flavor. I eat mine with sauteed veggies (onion, red pepper, mushrooms).

If you buy the pre-rinsed, it's much easier. Ancient Harvest is already rinsed. There are also different varieties. I tried the white today, which is very similar to cous cous. Previously, I had only eaten the black quinoa which has a much more "earthy" flavor and it's a bit coarser in texture--kind of like the tips of brocolli. I've never tried the red.

I have only used it for savory dishes, but I have seen that some others eat it w/ cinnamom, honey, or maple syrup--kind of like an oatmeal replacement.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I hate oatmeal...it's like barf in a bowl...so maybe I'd like quinoa better. I might try that!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa..just started eating it about a month ago. Found a great recipe with kale.
  • gigigirl13
    Options
    Thank you for sharing....looks really good.
  • gigigirl13
    Options
    Greek Style Quinao Burgers....from Martha Stewart

http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/greek-style-quinoa-burgers-recipe

They do not stay together all that well, but do taste very good. Enjoy.
  • Smilbuta
    Smilbuta Posts: 10
    Options
    Quinoa is a very healthy food.
    As in all eat it in moderation, plain is best.