crazy motivation shift

Options
Back in 2009 I decided to quit smoking and get into running, and thats just what I did. I ran every day and worked my way up to
running 5 miles a day and quit smoking and felt great. I lost about 20 pounds, and I absolutely dug all the newfound energy (even though I think it drove my wife a little nuts at times).

But then something weird happened ...

One day after a run that wasn't especially difficult, I said **** it and bought a pack of smokes and just stopped running.

I immediately put back on all the weight I had lost plus another 10 lbs. I wasn't depressed or anything, it was just like I
realized that I could get fit if I put my mind to it and I decided I didn't want to do the work at that time and quit all at once.

I didn't have any guilt about quitting either which is the part that worries me the most because i'm afraid it could happen again.

I came here to share this and ask if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar, where you just quit a really good
healthy pattern of exercise for no good reason. I am afraid this might happen again so I hoped bringing the issue out into the open may help shield me from that.

Replies

• aaronjarvis
    aaronjarvis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have something similar happen to me a few years back. I was in the gym one day & felt like I was wasting my time & never went back. It happened out of the blue. I was feeling good, losing weight gaining muscle. I just stopped. I think the pressure of getting out & having a social life led me astray.

Don't know how to fix it. Except to say, There must be an issue somewhere. I always come back to the healthy lifestyle. Wish i had some answers for you. I know when i was away I didn't like the results. Had to start all over again.

This time I got diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have a son 5yo & want to be around a long time. I really believe this is my turning point. You just need to find yours.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hell yes its happened to me. It's like we want our cake and eat it to ya know? But each time ( yes more than once) I knew it wad coming so the break was smaller and I gained less. But from ny experience when I have friends to do it with I kept at it. I'm not a flair so when I say I'm gonna do something with someond I do. It's been 3 years of consistency and I'm in the best shape if my life, and got a job from it. Nothin like getting paid to workout as motivation lol