How low is TOO low?!

Options
I think I am having the opposite problem and I don't know why. I go over my calories every day and I am losing too much weight.. I have lost now almost 60 pounds in a year. I am 5'4", 22 years old, and I just weighed myself this morning at 117 pounds. Is that TOO low? I never intended to lose that much weight. I am so stuck in my pattern of "weight loss mode" and can't seem to snap out of it.

Any suggestions? And does anyone know what the ideal weight for someone my age and height is? Maybe i'm not too low. I just never thought I would lose that much weight! Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• kristineh86
    Options
    I think I am having the opposite problem and I don't know why. I go over my calories every day and I am losing too much weight.. I have lost now almost 60 pounds in a year. I am 5'4", 22 years old, and I just weighed myself this morning at 117 pounds. Is that TOO low? I never intended to lose that much weight. I am so stuck in my pattern of "weight loss mode" and can't seem to snap out of it.

Any suggestions? And does anyone know what the ideal weight for someone my age and height is? Maybe i'm not too low. I just never thought I would lose that much weight! Thanks everyone :)
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Well I think you shouldn't loose anymore. I'm 5"1 and weigh between 111 to 115 and I don't look too thin. I would change your goals to maintence calories. That should keep you where you are now and not loose anymore.
    Hope this helped:flowerforyou:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Depends upon your frame size. Here's a good website to check it out:

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    hii...

I am not sure exactly what is too low. but I can at least give input.

I am also 5 ft 4, and i am 26 yo.

"they say' that for our hight, the range is about 110-145
    HOWEVER,
    if you feel like you are going too low, it is definitely something to address.

I on the other hand, am at about 155 give or take some water weight, and this is the best I have felt about my body in a long time. People are telling me not to lose more, but i am not even down TO the weight range for our height.

I see that you are a runner, so that means you have a fair amount of muscle in your legs, and so to be at that weight, in my personal opinion, you may actually be a little low for your body...

my suggestions would be to eat even more high protein stuff that has good fat in it.. more nuts and lean meat if you eat meat. And more snacks. I also have trouble getting in all of my calories...

I am curious what others have to say about this...as i tend to get into a groove i can't get out of as well...

bless you honey, you are doing great!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Everyone is soooo different and carries weight differently
    I'm 5'7 and weigh between 128-130 (started here at 157)
    I would try and increase your cals, so you maintain and don't loose more...maybe increase by 100-200 cals per day and go from there
    I started increasing my cals but also increased my exc. so things balanced out...you'll just need to play with the numbers to find a happy middle grown...you want a lifestyle that you can maintain long term

Great job
    Kim
  • kristineh86
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I think this is what happens when you eat the same thing every day....maybe I need to mix up my diet more. I need some dinner ideas. Anyone?! :)e
  • bacyr21
    bacyr21 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have yet to post but I wanted to comment because as someone who struggles with anorexia there is a point where going to low is not healthy. It can get easy to get used to a certain way of eating and dieting, but there has to be a point where you learn to stop. I know that I have struggled with that but am learning that you can maintain once you have reached a weight that works with your body. If you feel that you are too thin or that it becomes too much work in order to maintain that weight then you are probably where you need to be. IF you are a runner especially you need to have enough calories in order to maintain your level of fitness. Trust me, if you keep dieting and running your running will eventually suffer and it will be harder to complete workouts because your body needs a certain number of calories. I wish you luck and hope you realize the path you will be on if you keep losing because it can become addictive.
  • kristineh86
    Options
    thank you so much for that heartfelt response. I know I have a lot to learn. Struggling with weight has been such a journey for me and I never thought I would get to this point. I have a lot to learn and a lot to work on. I do not feel that I am too thin but I am buying jeans size 0 and it just seems BIZZARE. I am considering seeing a nutritionist to find a healthy balance to maintaining my weight with the running I do. This website is helpful...but I feel that it is more WHAT I eat rather than how much. Thank you again. I appreciate it!