Diet Pills?

Options
hush7hush
hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
I have been taking Zantrex-3 and Alli.

Does anyone have any opinions or stories about either of these?

Or know of anything that works especially well?

I just love all the energy the Zantrex has given me so far! :)

Replies

• ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    i used to take redline and at one point atrophex. from the studying i've done the only things that will actually induce any type of weight LOSS are thermogenics and ephedrine. ephedrine is banned/regulated to hell, though. and thermogenics always made me feel really funny.

imo, not worth it.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    any stimulant will give you energy, a pot of coffee will do the same, in the end though none of that compensates for a proper diet.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    Hey HushHush,

I'm not personally familiar but here's a quick online blurb I found:

"Zantrex 3 is a popular weight loss supplement with numerous, sometimes fatal side effects. It is important to be aware of these side effects before buying the weight loss supplement. These are some of the negative side effects associated with Zantrex 3.

One of the most common side effects of Zantrex 3 is shaking or rapid heart beat, both derived from the use of caffeine. Numerous ingredients in Zantrex 3 contain caffeine, including green tea extract and Yerba mate.

High caffeine also contains other negative side effects, including increased urination. Caffeine works as a mild diuretic. Another negative side effect of its excessive caffeine use is dizziness or fainting. This is extremely common in people with caffeine sensitivity.

Zantrex 3 is extremely addictive, mostly because of the amount of caffeine it has. It alters the brain chemistry to crave more caffeine.

An uncommon but serious side effect of Zantrex 3 is the development of goiters, which is when your thyroid gland has grown to an abnormally large size. Maca Root, which is used in Zantrex 3, contains chemicals which promote goiters in people with iodine deficiency.

Liver failure is a rare but dangerous negative effect of Zantrex 3. This is due to pyrrolizidine alkaloids, which naturally occur in its chemical structure."
  • lashall42
    Options
    hello Hush, have you lost any weight talking those diet pills? I have just started taking Mega T green tea pills, dont know how that will work, but I'm desperate to lose the weight.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    And then here's the blurb on Alli.

"Based on information submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in order for Alli to be approved, the following side effects were commonly reported in clinical studies:

* Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- in up to 20.1 percent of people
    * Fecal urgency (an urgent but controlled need to have a bowel movement) -- up to 18.8 percent
    * Gas -- up to 18.6 percent
    * Oily spotting (uncontrolled anal oil seepage) -- up to 17.7 percent
    * Gas with a small amount of oil or stool -- up to 17.2 percent
    * Fatty or oily stool -- up to 17.2 percent
    * Diarrhea -- up to 11.9 percent
    * Oily evacuation (bowel movements of just oil, without stool) -- up to 11.6 percent
    * Sinus infection -- up to 10.6 percent
    * Soft stool -- up to 10.1 percent.

Other common side effects of Alli (occurring in 3 to 10 percent of people) included:

* Increased frequency of bowel movements
    * Uncontrolled, spontaneous bowel movements (known as fecal incontinence)
    * Back pain.

Many of these problems that affect the digestive tract can be avoided or reduced by decreasing the amount of fat in your diet. Because Alli decreases the absorption of fat, more fat stays in the digestive tract, causing many of the bothersome (and sometimes embarrassing) side effects. You are more likely to experience these side effects if you eat too much fat. As you continue to take the medication, you will learn how different foods and different amounts of fat will affect you. If you have consumed a meal that is high in fat and have taken Alli, you may want to prepare for possible negative effects."
  • Shunhades
    Shunhades Posts: 16
    Options
    i kinda do consider diet pills from time to time. But honestly i'm finding that without them i'm probably losing the weight in a healthier manner. The only pills I take from time to time is called Colon Cleanse. And it's purpose is to help clean my colon. Other than that I don't take anything else, and I don't even take that often.

That's just me though, you don't have to go by me. I think my money is just better spent on fruits and other healthy food rather than to pay for pills that make a claim that a healthy diet and exercise already does.
  • Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not in to the whole zantrex or any energy pills, but I did lose 15 lbs with alli. Yes, it has a terrible side effect, but it helped me to eat a diet with very low fat.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Noooooooooo don't do it, the idea behind losing weight it being healthy and making it life long. You can do it with a good eating and staying active. Quick fixes are exactly that, when u stop its back to the drawing board. I only sat this from experience, hope no offense is taken:-/
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options
    I would really check with your physician...anything chemical has side effects that you may not note at present, but may bite you in the *kitten* in the future...I'm not trying to be too harsh...it's just that healthy eating should be a lifesyle...something you do for the rest of your life...you're not going to do diet pills for the rest of you life...right! I wish you the best!!! Just try to keep it as clean as you can!!!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take any diet pills. That's my opinion (to each their own). I did try slimquick way before actually doing MFP and it did give me energy and I lost about 6 pounds but once I stopped taking it, the weight came back on. I have been doing MFP since the end of december and have lost 25 pounds. I now have way more energy just from eating correctly and exercising. One thing I would look at is how much do they cost you monthly and yearly? Is it worth it in the long run?

I do still drink coffee and I drink green tea as well as my water. Make sure if you are going to take those pills that you drink at least 8 cups of water/64 ozs.

I hope this helps!

Jennifer
  • frugal2
    frugal2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to love anything with real ephedra in it (back when it was still sold) and I was never addicted to the stuff. I've tried various other thermogenics after ephedra was taken off the market and none are the same. the stuff they make now usually will make me feel wired & a bit jittery, then after 3hrs or so, I feel the crash & burn. So, I don't use them anymore. The crash is not worth it.

Of course, you already know, it's best to lose weight clean without chemical/pharmaceutical assistance, BUT my 2 cents on all the dangers associated with these drugs is: if you use in moderation, you know you don't have heart issues or a family history of heart problems, you don't do extreme things like run miles in a plastic suit without drinking water while using thermogenics (some athlete died like that years ago), then I'm sure you're okay.
  • lashall42
    Options
    Andrea, what side effects does Alli have?
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

My mother and I started taking Alli together a while ago. I lost about ten pounds while taking it, and she lost about five. But then when I stopped taking it, I gained the weight back. I think, though, that was more attributed to the fact that I didn't maintain a healthy diet.

Also, I have no feedback on the Zantrex yet. I just started taking it a couple days ago, and haven't weighed myself since then. Although a friend from work said she used it and lost about 80lb.

The only thing I'm a little worried about, as I started reading the ingredients, is that it seems like the Zantrex might be a synthetic speed. VERY similar in formula to Adderall (the ADD medication), which has also been known to be abused recreationally for the energy it provides, and the metabolism boost.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    I used to love anything with real ephedra in it (back when it was still sold) and I was never addicted to the stuff. I've tried various other thermogenics after ephedra was taken off the market and none are the same. the stuff they make now usually will make me feel wired & a bit jittery, then after 3hrs or so, I feel the crash & burn. So, I don't use them anymore. The crash is not worth it.

Of course, you already know, it's best to lose weight clean without chemical/pharmaceutical assistance, BUT my 2 cents on all the dangers associated with these drugs is: if you use in moderation, you know you don't have heart issues or a family history of heart problems, you don't do extreme things like run miles in a plastic suit without drinking water while using thermogenics (some athlete died like that years ago), then I'm sure you're okay.

I absolutely agree with you on this entire post.
    The ephedra never seemed to have a negative side effect with me, but Zantrex used oxydren, which I suppose is supposed to be a legal/similar ingredient.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There is also Phentermine, but it is prescription only, unless you order it online. I've known a few people on it that have had great results, but they stuck with their lifestyle change and ate healthy and exercised, even after stopping the pill.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    any stimulant will give you energy, a pot of coffee will do the same, in the end though none of that compensates for a proper diet.

100% AGREE.

I used to take Alli...it works. It doesn't involve your blood system. It's a fat blocker. If you eat more than 15g of fat per meal you will have the squirts to the point of not being able to control it. It will literally have fat in the toilet...like you just skimmed the top of the pot of soup.

Both pills are quick fixes...well pills in general are. Nothing compares to eating right and exercising.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If these pills REALLY worked, do you REALLY think they would be cheap enough for the general public to buy???? If they worked they would be so expensive that only the super rich could afford them!

Don't waste your money and spend it on healthy food instead. Or put it towards a new outfit for when you've lost the weight permanently!

b x
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    And then here's the blurb on Alli.

"Based on information submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in order for Alli to be approved, the following side effects were commonly reported in clinical studies:

<snip>
    * Oily spotting (uncontrolled anal oil seepage) -- up to 17.7 percent
    <snip>

Because uncontrolled anal oil seepage is what I want from a diet pill to assist me with my weight loss. :embarassed: Think that I will stick with MFP and the wonderful support and tools that I have available here. I have been able to lose for the first time, no pills, no hard work, lots of great people and support. MFP has been my magic pill.
  • Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    the only one i experienced is the yukky oily stuff that comes out when you go to the bathroom. i found it to be bad only when i ate very fatty foods. i mean when you could actually see the greasiness in your food. yes, it is a really gross side effect and you have to be prepared for it, but i took it a couple of years ago and i lost 15 lbs and it stayed off. it was worth it to me. like i said you just really have to watch your diet.
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Before I had by baby boy i was taking that Phentremine and it did help me loose 30 lbs in 3 months but i gained it all back once pregnant. (of course I stopped once i got pregnant) I think if i kept with eating healthy and exercising along with the pills i would have reached my goal of 50 lbs. I want to start on them again, I still have a whole month supply. Btw i never got bad side effects. At the end of the day the key is lifestyle change - exercise and eat right!