My 2 NSVs

Options
j_fattler
j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
Today I am celebrating 2 huge (for me)NSVs!!

#1. I am a horrible procrastinator when it comes to laundry, often playing "catch up" all weekend long. I have a family of 4 & a 5-year old daughter who believes she must change her outfit several times a day until I don't know whether the clothes are clean or dirty anymore...Anyhow, my NSV is that today, I finally got ALL my laundry caught up! Washed, dried, folded & put away! MFP has kept me motivated to avoid the usual snacking I do, and instead I'm finding productive things to fill my time ...and I have so much more energy!!!

#2. I am trying to Quit Smoking while losing weight. (no sense in getting "healthy" if I'm going to keep smoking) --today I was able to hold off for a cigarette until 3p.m.!!!! And so far today - I only had 2.5 cigs!!

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! Way to go!!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Great job Jaime! :) I'm so proud of you. I struggle with the laundry too. I'll try to find this smoking stats sheet for you sometime. I actually took a picture of it with my phone that said how happy your body was for every hour, 8 hours, 1 day, 1 week, etc. without a cigarette. It was really cool. :) I'M SOOO EXCITED ABOUT YOU COMING TO WEIGH IN!!! WOOOT WOOO!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Way to Go!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • LadyScarlett77
    Options
    That's wonderful and kudos to you for trying to do both. It's very difficult. I quit smoking last November it was truly one of the hardest things I've ever done (well except maybe childbirth). Sounds like you are doing a great job. Hang in there and much luck!
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good luck on quitting smoking it is hard after years of trying to quit i made a choice and quit cold turkey last june now i don't even crave them at all then 4 months later i started this journey. Doing both at once i could not have done so Kudos to you!
  • j_fattler
    j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking last November it was truly one of the hardest things I've ever done (well except maybe childbirth).

How did you do it? I'm "weaning" myself off of it, but I know that's not going to totally work. Any advice? And congrats on quitting!! Personally, I think I'd rather go through childbirth again - lol!!
  • LadyScarlett77
    Options
    First I switched to an E-cig. There is a local store here, and I used that for several weeks. Then went on Chantix. After taking the chantix for a week I went in to Walmart (usually a 2 cigarette ordeal as I have 3 yr old twins) came out got home, unloaded the car and realized I hadn't thought about a cigarette. When you can shop at walmart without smoking you KNOW you're on the right path. Anyway, it's not for everyone, but really helped me. I'm no longer on chantix, and have not taken it for about two months. My husband won't take it, but has completely stopped smoking regular cigarettes and only uses his E-cig. He's stepped down gradually in nicotine levels. It's working for him. : )
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    First I switched to an E-cig. There is a local store here, and I used that for several weeks. Then went on Chantix. After taking the chantix for a week I went in to Walmart (usually a 2 cigarette ordeal as I have 3 yr old twins) came out got home, unloaded the car and realized I hadn't thought about a cigarette. When you can shop at walmart without smoking you KNOW you're on the right path. Anyway, it's not for everyone, but really helped me. I'm no longer on chantix, and have not taken it for about two months. My husband won't take it, but has completely stopped smoking regular cigarettes and only uses his E-cig. He's stepped down gradually in nicotine levels. It's working for him. : )

a few years ago i wanted to quit smoking and got an E-cig. It made me puke and was horrible! I got rid of that quick! I also was going to try Chantix as my doc gave me a perscription for it but each time i saw the commercial on TV the success % was going down plus it said that it can cause suicidal tendencies and crazy dreams. I was not about to have that either. my doc told me that i had to do two things, quit smoking and lose weight. but told me that doing them at the same time, might be too hard and it was. i decided to quit smoking first and i stopped COLD TURKEY on 12/01/09 and that was it! i didnt start my weight loss adventure untill 1/07/11 so i gave myself a while to be totally off the cigs and it worked for me!! now i'm on this new journey and honestly, i am not sure which is harder. :explode:

good luck to you all!
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    Good for you!!! I envy you, getting all your laundry done. We are a family of six, so it never ends, and my five and three year olds change all the time too. I have a friend that quite smoking 3 months ago, and she has lost 2 dress sizes, since she quite, without changing her diet and exercise!!! She said thinking about how healthy she wanted to be, was what motivated her.
  • octopusami
    octopusami Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great job Jaime! :) I'm so proud of you. I struggle with the laundry too. I'll try to find this smoking stats sheet for you sometime. I actually took a picture of it with my phone that said how happy your body was for every hour, 8 hours, 1 day, 1 week, etc. without a cigarette. It was really cool. :) I'M SOOO EXCITED ABOUT YOU COMING TO WEIGH IN!!! WOOOT WOOO!

I would also like to know about this smoking stats sheet. My mother took up the habit after not smoking for 30 years and I am trying to get her realize the damage she is doing.

Good job on your progress! I have found that by getting organized on here has infiltrated other parts of my life as well.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    If there's one thing I know about you, it's that you know yourself pretty well. And although it seems like you're trying to tackle too much, I look back and remember how often I'm thought that in the past.
    Then- and now- it's tempting to step in and suggest you change your goals. It's hard to sit back and let you live your life.
    I didn't want to DIScourage you but I also was afraid you'd be devastated if you failed.
    Time after time after time, I have watched you chase after things I never dreamed you'd pursue. I admire you that you have such a strong drive, and you don't take NO for an answer.
    I can't think of too many times that you did fail ( and that's only because you took your eyes off the goal )

I could say it's downright stubbornness but that's really not the right word. Stubbornness only applies if you aren't teachable.
    TENACIOUS is far more accurate.

Keep going, my beautiful daughter- RUN on ahead....I'll meet you @ the finish line.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!