Knee pain.

Options
I've recently started doing the 30 Day Shred, I've just done day 3. Thing is, I'm finding it incredibly hard to keep up due to knee pain. It's getting so intense that it hurts to stand. I'm getting pain everywhere, I expected that, I just never expected it to be so bad just on my knees. I've always had issues with my knees, they used to swell up & get red hot if I were to stand/walk too much, they lock into place all the time & go from underneath me. But my doctor said they're fine, nothing he can do. Just a case of ''getting used to it''. But I don't want it to hold me back from becoming fit & healthy.
Do any of you experience this? If so, anything I can do about it? I'm really focused on finishing the 30DS but if this keeps going, I don't think I can.
Any help is very appreciated. :)

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    30DS is REALLY hard on the knees (and it only gets worse). If you have really bad knees, you should probably modify or substitute some of the exercises.
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    hey i found this when i started it i have very bad knees and had ops etc on them what i have done is changed some of the cardio around so i still do the alotted time for cardio but i just dont do the jumping jacks and jump rope they were really making my knees suffer , instead i do two lots of kick ups and the punches i have found this has helped my knees alot but also keeps my heart rate up:)
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    tensor the knee when you work out
    ice it when your done
    give it a 24 hour recovery between shreds

OR you can always replace the high impact jumping jacks etc with shadow boxing.

I have trouble with my knee's too. Good luck :heart:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    and get a second opinion on your knees too!
  • caseyclementson
    caseyclementson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you have something that you're working out on besides hardwood or carpet? Get those interlocking foam squares - that helped me A LOT with anything jumping related. Otherwise, I agree with the others: modify, modify, modify.
  • armywifeinpink
    Options
    I agree with everyone on this, you should get a second opinion on your knees....in the meantime I would suggest either wrapping your knee or wearing a knee brace and see if that makes a difference. Nothing big just once from like walmart. Or just do low impact, like on jumping jacks and things that cause you to put alot of force down on your knees....Good luck!!!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ICE 20 min a day
    take aleve to reduce inflamation
    i also take osteo-biflex for my joint pain and it works AMAZINGLY... i run 4-5 days a week with no knee pain!!
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    I feel you pain. I have torn acls on both knees and this winter fell hard on the ice on my knees, now that meniscus is bothering me. I do the shredd too and the C25K and became very familiar with knee pain so I bought ionic knee braces and the difference is amazing. I also keep my yoga matte on the floor and do my jumping on the matte. I still have trouble with the butt kicks but I can do almost every thing w minimal pain. I'll take that. Today I start level 2. Good Luck!
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    I feel you pain. I have torn acls on both knees and this winter fell hard on the ice on my knees, now that meniscus is bothering me. I do the shredd too and the C25K and became very familiar with knee pain so I bought ionic knee braces and the difference is amazing. I also keep my yoga matte on the floor and do my jumping on the matte. I still have trouble with the butt kicks but I can do almost every thing w minimal pain. I'll take that. Today I start level 2. Good Luck!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    one other thing... how are your shoes? you might get fitted for cross trainers or running shoes to help your alignment. i know that has really helped me. if you pronate, or if your hips are uneven it can wreak havok on the rest of your joints etc. i also saw a sports med dr. (the one who also treats the STL cardinals, holla!) and he gave me lots of great strengthening exercises.... this is usually the issue, weak muscles in the quads and strong hamstrings is an imbalance, etc.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ICE 20 min a day
    take aleve to reduce inflamation
    i also take osteo-biflex for my joint pain and it works AMAZINGLY... i run 4-5 days a week with no knee pain!!

Totally agree with her! Had pain in both my knees and this is exactly what I did. No more pain! If I do get some, I just pop some aleve and ice again :) Make sure you rest your knees for a day or two before you do anything else. :)
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the advice! :D I'll definitely get a second opinion, not worth risking it.
    I'll look into pretty much everything you guys have said, I'm willing to try anything to sort these damn knees out, pain in the butt :P
    Thankyou so much :3
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Speak to a sports physio, don't bother with a doctor. Most likely you either got bad technique, some very tight muscles somewhere, or some very weak muscles somewhere. Identifying what it is and fixing it is the most important thing. You don't need to go through life avoiding exercise because your knees hurt.

Of course, I'm assuming you've got ok shoes and aren't doing hours / day jumping up and down on a hard sufrace. If I'm wrong about that, you should consider building up to a high level from something more manageable. ;)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    I wear a knee strap. Helps alot plus run in the dirt or something softer every now & then. Treadmill or elliptical is an alternative also.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. A little different, though. I've never had knee pain before and the Shred is just tearing up my left knee for some reason. I've started a lose dose Ibuprofen regimen (just remember that Ibuprofen takes time to build up in your system and acutallyl do its job as an anitinflammatory) I don't ice, though, since typically icing is for acute injuries. I tried it and it didn't help me with my problem at all. Of course, yours may be different, so I don't know.

I took 2 days off from the Shred (I'm going to be doing Level 2 Day 15 today) and I'm going to do modified moves. The jumping doesn't actually bother me at all. It's all the squats and lunges.
  • mrandolph112
    Options
    I suffer from knee pain when I run. I bought inserts for my shoes to add extra support to my arches and that has helped A LOT.
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    get a better doctor, a sed rate ( blood test). then go from there. I say this as a 42 yr old woman with 1 knee replacement down and 1 to go because I sucked it up for years. :flowerforyou: